The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Plains of Northwestern Mistone  (Read 263 times)

Yllyrryon

Plains of Northwestern Mistone
« on: March 31, 2008, 06:39:39 pm »
[SIZE=16]I have some questions about the geography of northwestern Mistone.[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]http://lore.layonara.com/images/Mistone.jpg[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIZE=16]Please consider the area encompassed by the following imaginary border: west from Palden lake to the Sea of Lampil coast; south from that point, tracing the coast to Krandor; northeast along the borders of the Dark Ash Woods and the Silkwood Forest; then passing thru Fort Llast northwards, and along the western verge of the Hammerbound Mountains; then along the south-southwestern border of the Whitehorn Forest back to Palden Lake.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16]What is the terrain of the blank parts of this area? My guess is plains of some sort but I would like more specifics. Specifically what sort of terrain comprises this area? Is it all uniform or does it vary? What is the soil quality? To what extent is it settled? Is farming, grazing, and/or other agricultural activity conducted there, and to what extent? If there are farms and/or ranches, are they prosperous or barely surviving?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16]What is known of Lake Hurbinon and the Broken Swamp, just to its east?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16]A few roads are indicated, one roughly paralelling the coast; another forking off of that road roughly midway and traversing this area east to Llast; and a third looping off of the Llast road to the northwest, passing by Blackford Castle before intersecting the coastal road south of Leringard. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I understand Layo's technology level is roughly that of Roman times in the real world. So in light of this Roman level of technology, what is the composition and usual condition of these major roads through this region? As to minor roads not indicated on the map, do they uniformly cover this area, branching off from the major roads? Or are there still sizeable tracts not accessed by neither road nor trail? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16]I would appreciate details on the coastal town of Karst and an update on the present state of Fort Llast.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16]Thanks in advance to whoever responds to these questions.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16][/SIZE][/URL]

minerva

Re: Plains of Northwestern Mistone
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 08:46:50 am »
The details of Trelania kingdom have yet to be written.

Minor roads and seasonal cart tracks would not be noted on the maps.

The area around the town of Drake is a seat of prosperious (or gaining prosperity again after the darkness) agriculture.  Root and grain crops as well as cattle, sheep, pigs and to a lesser extent horses are common farming commodities in the area.  I would expect with Blackford castle seated in this kingdom for it to be one of prospeity and well run/managed.  

I cannot comment on government style as it has not been written/disclosed.  The farmers may be freemen or perhaps serf type arrangements or a mixture of the two (the more likely scenerio)

Given Karst's location and the fact it survived the Dark Ages I would expect it to have a maritime history and be involved in trade, fishing and shipping of the bounty of the agricultural plains. It is far enough away from Leringard to perhaps be spared it's seedier nature.

Educated guesses ....

Hellblazer

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 12:14:55 pm »
Is it me or is Hlint no longer on that map?

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 12:15:28 pm »
its in the middle!

Hellblazer

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 12:45:05 pm »
wow okay just saw it, hehe sorry wrong screen to look up on things, hate cathodic screens.

EdTheKet

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:39:42 am »
So I'm curious, why these questions? :)

Yllyrryon

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 06:57:47 am »
Quote from: EdTheKet
So I'm curious, why these questions? :)

I just sent you a pm about it.  ;)