The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Question on creating a multi-classed monk regarding the class restrictions  (Read 284 times)

zenvidar

• Druids
    • Followers of Katia
    • View Profile
Here is a brief on how I would like to submit a character, but I'm having difficulties understanding how to go about it with the monk restrictions:

I wanted to create a human character, beginning as a monk. He would hail from White Horn Forest, particularly in the area of White Horn Lake and Silverdell Grove.

He has a reverence for nature and follows the deity Katia. He finds the races threatening to nature and the creatures that live within nature. He is very determined to protect nature, especially the White Horn Forest he calls home. His stance has lead to a bitterness towards many people and he is willing to take whatever measures to ensure that the plants and animals survive peacefully, even if it means killing those he deems hostile. He would be a monk, rogue, shadowdancer, enjoying company with those akin to nature but keeping more to himself with the less earthly types. He keeps an eye on dangerous peoples from the safety of the shadows, ready to strike with deadly force if they cause harm to the plants, animals and peoples that live harmoniously in nature.

I was wondering how the monk multi-class restrictions would work. I was planning to start with the base monk class, train in the rogue class and then specialize in the shadowdancer prestige class to hone the goal of the character and his nature as a deadly, meditative protector of the shadows.

I look forward to a response.

-BrotherHarmon (ZV)

darkstorme

Re: Question on creating a multi-classed monk regarding the clas
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 11:20:01 am »
The multi-class restrictions for the Monk are fairly plain.

Once you take a level in any other class, you cannot ever take a level in Monk again barring a successful CDQ with that goal in mind.

It would also, naturally, be harder to get a character approved initially with any other class, barring extensive justification or otherwise extenuating circumstances.

Hope that helps. :)

zenvidar

• Druids
    • Followers of Katia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 11:53:36 am »
with any other class? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. To get the character approved toward say a monk / rogue goal?

Should I attempt to create a rogue then and plan on a PrC Shadowdancer later? And then take levels in monk after those two? (That would be Ro 10, SD 5, Mo 5+ ?)

I'm unsure how base classes mix, especially with the restricted classes as the starters. If I were to start monk and go rogue, how many levels as a monk would I need before choosing rogue? Ten monk, then five rogue before I request a CNR for shadowdancer?

I'm sorry, I'm just finding the Prestige and Restricted classes confusing.

darkstorme

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 12:32:14 pm »
*smiles*  Sorry, I'll try to clarify.

Leaving the Monk path means that you cannot go back, barring a successful CDQ.  Starting with any other class, then going to Monk, would also require a CDQ.

The phrase "freely multiclass" means mixing levels.  Say, a level of class A followed by two of class B, and then another of class A, etc.  Monk levels must be contiguous, and once you take a level in any other class (prestige or otherwise), that's it.

And I was unclear in my previous post - by "It would be ... harder to get a character approved initially with any other class...", I meant that getting approved as a Monk/Rogue from the start would be significantly harder than getting approved as, for example, Fighter/Rogue, or Wizard/Rogue.

As for the level rules - as long as you have at least five levels in every class you've taken prior to (and including) level 20, you're golden. :)

As for the direction you take - I'd think about what (and who) you want your character to be, and build according to that.

I hope this was (more) helpful. :)

zenvidar

• Druids
    • Followers of Katia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 01:00:33 pm »
So if I chose to start monk or rogue, I could apply for a shadowdancer CDQ before level 10. Could I theoretically take a CDQ for shadowdancer as soon as I meet the feats and skills requirements?

And after level 20, do the 5 levels per class rules still stand? If I succeeded in the CDQ for shadowdancer at level 21, would that level 21 need 4 more levels in shadowdancer or could it remain with one level and allow me to continue to rogue or monk? (the monk obviously needing a CDQ two more months after the shadowdancer CDQ).

And is there a limit on the amount of character submissions at a time?

If I want to play two characters, I should be able to submit them both at the same time, right?

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 01:29:56 pm »
Above 20th level, if you add a class (standard or PrC) you should strive to gain at least 5 levels in the new class before taking levels in another class.  Taking only 1 level in a class to get the basic benefits is not something we permit.

darkstorme

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 02:00:58 pm »
In answer to your questions, in their approximate order:
  • Yes, theoretically you could take the CDQ for Shadowdancer as soon as you meet its prereqs.  However, we usually prefer to see a reasonably developed CDT as well to support that PrC.  Your call.
  • As Dorg said, after 20, we usually look for 5 contiguous levels of any new class, since saying "oh, I'll take the other four levels after level 36" would effectively put that off forever.
  • The only effective limit on simultaneous character submissions is six, since there is a six-active-character limit.  (If you already have three characters, the limit would be three, naturally.)
  • And, as per the above response, yes, you could submit two characters at the same time.

zenvidar

• Druids
    • Followers of Katia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:08:36 am »
Thank you very much, that was very helpful.

ycleption

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 02:10:50 am »
I have to ask, aside from the mechanical advantage, why isn't one of the classes alone enough? If you want to emphasize the hunter-type, strike from the shadows type of thing, why couldn't you just be a monk and invest heavily in hide/ms skills, or if you want sneak attack as an expression of that attitude, play a rogue and RP the meditative side of your character?
I can certainly see the shadowdancer part, but I honestly think the concept you have here, (and in your submission, which I just looked at), seems to be more of a ranger or druid, (or maybe even a Katian cleric) than a rogue or a monk, or a rogue/monk.
Both monk and rogue are very flexible concepts, and I think there is room for a nature guardian in either one, but why not one of the classes that already has a that as a focus, if that's the drive behind your character's persona?

Hellblazer

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 10:56:21 am »
Well there is only a certain limit to what you can effectively rp in combat Imo. If he is the sneaking type attacking with dirty technics etc, he could always rp it, but no one would ever see it's effect ( ie Sneak attacks). Sometimes people want to see what they rp, be visually seen by others to support what they rp.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 01:24:25 pm »
I would argue that Sneak Attacks are anything but "dirty techniques." It's just striking for vital spots, pressure points... Like a monk. ;)

anything