The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Question on Ki damage  (Read 570 times)

jan

Question on Ki damage
« on: May 26, 2008, 08:25:43 am »
I haven't been using Ki attack in a while but since every one keeps telling people that it is one of the " usable"  feats for WM characters , i tried it again .

My question is : is Ki damage modified ?

Asking because every time i have hit a target with it ( out off the 90 times i used it ) the damage i do is no higher then my normal attack damage , not with a normal hit nor with a critical hit .

Barion has a base strength off 24 and with items he has 35 .
He has 18 Ki attacks / day .
He has " critical Ki " which is an automatic feat .
He is an 18th lvl WM / 10th lvl Fighter .
His critical damage on dark elves in The Rift is about 74 with AND without Ki .
His critical damage with "improved power attack " is higher then that .

Script Wrecked

Re: Question on Ki damage
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 09:56:03 am »
From Ki Damage:

• Using Ki Damage does not guarantee a hit. This has some strategic consequences.
    • It is usually best to activate this feat for the first attack of a round (or any attack that is made at full base attack bonus).
    • It may be inefficient to activate this feat against a target that has high armor class or concealment.

• This feat is enhanced by the improved critical, Increased Multiplier, and Ki Critical feats, since Ki Damage will maximize each damage roll in the case of a critical hit. This benefit becomes more pronounced as the critical multiplier increases.
  • Only the base weapon damage is maximized by this feat. If the weapon deals additional variable damage, it is possible that a Ki Damage hit will do less than the maximum possible total damage. A Ki Damage hit will still do more total damage on average than other hits.
[/I]

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

s0ulz

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:57:32 am »
No, Ki strike damage is not modified.

jan

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 11:00:24 am »
Is it bugged then ?

As i told before , the normal damage i do without it is the same or even higher then with it .

Looking at the quote from Script it should do more , or am i misreading it any way ?

" A Ki damage hit will still do more total damage on average then other hits "

Pibemanden

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:05:35 am »
On improved powerattack you get +10 damage and with your crit multiplier that becomes +30 which will quickly get above your ki damage because you get the weapon damage, str bonus plus enchantment on top of that times three.
Ki damage on the other hand will get you 24 damage base from your weapon plus str mods and enchantments times three.

s0ulz

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:06:45 am »
Quote from: jan
Is it bugged then ?

As i told before , the normal damage i do without it is the same or even higher then with it .

Looking at the quote from Script it should do more , or am i misreading it any way ?

" A Ki damage hit will still do more total damage on average then other hits "

It's a two edged sword. It only maximizes the weapons base damage, thus if the weapon isn't highly enchanted with different elemental or similar damage enchantments (which do not get calculated in Ki), it is more likely to do more damage than your average attack (in which the damage ranges vary by a large margin).

So in a sense you misread it yes, but it's a complicated statement.

jan

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 11:41:53 am »
ermmm...could anybody tell me then WHY people keep telling that this is one off the best feats a WM has ?

If it doesn't give more damage on a normal attack ....and if i calculate right ...LESS damage on a critical hit ...then what is the whole point off this feat ?

s0ulz

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 11:45:45 am »
It is one of the best feats since it essentially guarantees more than average damage on a hit. It's effectiveness is, however, strongly dependant on the magic level of the world and level of character. It's heavily subjective.

Chongo

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 11:48:43 am »
I think they're probably referring to ki critical, not ki damage.  The additional threat range gained with ki critical is one of the top ten most powerful class feats in the game, if not the top 5.  Off the top of my head I'd put defensive awareness at level 5 for the DD along the the level 10 palemaster immunities ahead of this... but it's right up there that's for sure.  The fact that this feat can take a scimitar down to 11-20 along with imp crit and keen makes it pretty wild.

But yeah, ki damage... with my WM's I've never really bothered to even quickslot it.

jan

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 12:14:51 pm »
So basically all that makes a WM different from a normal fighter is " Ki critical " ( +2 on critical range ) and him getting +1 on attack rolls every 3 lvl's after reaching lvl 13 ?

s0ulz

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 12:25:34 pm »
Quote from: jan
So basically all that makes a WM different from a normal fighter is " Ki critical " ( +2 on critical range ) and him getting +1 on attack rolls every 3 lvl's after reaching lvl 13 ?

That's a hefty all, since we can't forget [LORE]Increased Multiplier[/LORE] as well. To be honest, what more is there to expect, these two feats make the prestige more than capable of standing its ground.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 12:32:05 pm »
When you can do over 100 damage with a Greatsword 3 outta four attacks (if your lucky), I don't complain that one of my feats are useless.

And I'm just curious, but what does Barion use that only gives him 74 Crits against Dark Elves  o.O?

s0ulz

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 12:37:46 pm »
Quote from: ShiffDrgnhrt
When you can do over 100 damage with a Greatsword 3 outta four attacks (if your lucky), I don't complain that one of my feats are useless.

And I'm just curious, but what does Barion use that only gives him 74 Crits against Dark Elves  o.O?

I'm taking a guess here, but I think Barion uses a longsword. Hence he does less base damage and only recieves ordinary (1.0x) extra damage from the Strength modifier, unlike the one and a half modifier Shiff gets (1.5x). This already makes a pretty big difference with critical hits.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 12:41:30 pm »
I guess you trade damage for protection with one handed weapons.  fair trade, but different tactics I guess.

I dont use Ki Damage either.  my average seems to be 40-70 without a crit (might include Magic enchantments) but Ki only seems to generate 35 -45 Damage

s0ulz

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 12:42:48 pm »
I guess you trade damage for protection with one handed weapons.  fair trade, but different tactics I guess.

I dont use Ki Damage either.  my average seems to be 40-70 without a crit (might include Magic enchantments) but Ki only seems to generate 35 -45 Damage

That's how it works, yes. AC for damage.

jan

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 12:56:28 pm »

The original thought was to make him dual-wielding long-swords .

But then the strength needed to get devastating critical was raised to 28 which meant that i didn't have enough feats to reach that AND make him dual-wield with-out penalties .

So i went for devastating crits , but since that now has str 30 needed and i need to reach lvl 41 or so to get to that , the whole concept off the character has gone down the drain .

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 01:19:55 pm »
Overwhelming Crit is nice too ;)  Just not as worth it

jan

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 03:18:14 pm »
I spent too much points and feats on strength to give up ;)

So I'll simply keep him on the path he was on and hope for the best .

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 03:20:25 pm »
who knows, maybe you'll get a +1 or +2 to strength as a Quest reward some day  :P

jan

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 03:25:18 pm »
*grins*
Who knows , maybe other discussions that seem to indicate that saving throws are high enough will open up ways to lower the strength needed and devastating critical comes back into reach ;)

I have some thoughts about that and in time i'll probably share them with you all ......*shifty look around and a quick run to get into hiding * :D

anything