The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Question on the smoking system in Layonara  (Read 334 times)

zenvidar

• Druids
    • Followers of Katia
    • View Profile
Question on the smoking system in Layonara
« on: July 03, 2008, 07:31:51 am »
I'm a little confused about the smoking system.

I have what I believe are all the necessary items.

I crafted a pipe.
I bought a bag to hold pipeweed.
I bought the bag which is supposed to dry the pipeweed.

I placed pipeweed in the bag to dry.

It still doesn't seem to be prepared and there are no special actions on that box.

Lalaith Va'lash

Re: Question on the smoking system in Layonara
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 07:51:44 am »
You need to light the leaf press box when the leaves are in it with your flint and steel-- create the fire/heat to dry it out.

See here: LORE: Pipe Smoking

Hellblazer

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:04:31 am »
Is there any effect to that smoking or is it just purely for rp?

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 08:24:11 am »
Purely for RP, though it SHOULD give skill bonuses. :( (And perhaps penalties... But with the awesome descriptions? Bonuses should be there. It's a blessing from Prunilla!)

Script Wrecked

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 12:21:26 pm »
Also, as pipe smoking is being used as an RP prop, could people lighten up about the "dangers of pipe smoking" in-game.

[LIST=1]
  • in-game, pipe smoking isn't detrimental to your health
  • you're undermining someone's RP characterisation by bringing in an RL issue with weighty consequences to a fantasy game where it doesn't have those consequences.
  • from a "risk to your health" point of view, you should be more concerned about someone choosing adventuring as a career path.

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

lonnarin

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 01:32:51 pm »
It'll still make the baby cough and catch asthma though.  And stain your teeth and make you all smelly.  And most priests would be annoyed if you sparked up in a temple! :D

Of course in a realm far before the "fad" of regular bathing, the smokey smell might be a good change of pace.

As for the pipeweed drying, it's on a timer somewhat.  You need to place the uncured weed into the leaf dryer, then use a flintstone on it in your inventory.  Then wait about 5 minutes, and the script should toss all the cured weed in your inventory.  Then you need to find it all and store it in your herb bag, unless it goes stale (vanishes).  Then to smoke the pipe, you use the cured herb from your inventory on the pipe in your inventory, and then use the flintrock on the pipe.  It's tricky because people aren't used to using items on other items, and there are so many steps. hope that helps!  Once the pipe is sparked, use the pipe and you should get one good puff.

zenvidar

• Druids
    • Followers of Katia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 01:49:35 pm »
You don't need to use the flint on the pipe in-game. You just activate the pipe.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 07:10:32 pm »
Quote from: lonnarin
It'll still make the baby cough and catch asthma though. And stain your teeth and make you all smelly. And most priests would be annoyed if you sparked up in a temple! :D

Before this also gets applied generically in-game, only if the pipe smoker chooses to play a smelly ol' teeth stained smoke bag.

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 07:30:38 pm »
Quote from: Script Wrecked
Before this also gets applied generically in-game, only if the pipe smoker chooses to play a smelly ol' teeth stained smoke bag.

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

For example, I play a sorcerer who smokes quite a bit, as (depending upon which pipeweed he smokes) it helps him focus, stay alert, calm down, etc.

It does not, however, affect him terribly adversely, for several reasons.

1) A little spell I call Prestidigitation. It allows you to clean things, change the colour of things, etc. He could literally scrub his lungs, teeth, clothes, skin, etc... It wouldn't fix, say, cancer, but might well remove tar from his lungs (if the Layonaran pipeweed even has as much tar in it as commercial tobacco). Or whiten his teeth. Etc.

2) Pipeweed is a gift from Prunilla, according to myths which are a part of established Lore. Would She really be so Xeenite as to make the stuff as harmful as it is helpful? All things in moderation, yes, but I doubt very much that Layonaran pipeweed is nearly so carcinigous as RL tobacco, or any of the other myriad things people have tried to smoke over the centuries.

3) Did I mention Prestidigitation? ;)

Admittedly, I do play a very mild dependence upon pipeweed... Though it's a psychological dependence, rather than physiological - he's accustomed to the pick-up or calming effects at certain points in the day, and when he doesn't get those effects, it jarrs him a bit... Just like folks who are used to getting three cups of coffee in the morning, or have a nightcap most nights... Or who smoke cigarettes. ;)