The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: RE: Roldemian Kingdom Isles - Huangjin  (Read 346 times)

oldskooler

Re: Roldemian Kingdom Isles - Huangjin
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 01:24:22 pm »
i appreciate all of your input. it probably helped me save a revise or three (references to a "roldemian navy" would've had to've been amended (they have) and so forth....

so how long does it usually take to get a character approved?

Gulnyr

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 02:41:08 pm »
Quote from: oldskooler
so how long does it usually take to get a character approved?

It depends.  Some days are busier than others in real life, and some are busier than others on the forums, so in the worst cases it may take a couple of days before a submission really gets a good look.  The character approvers are usually pretty quick, though.

After that, it depends on how "special" the character concept is.  The more fancy stuff added in, whether special subraces or unusual history or whatever, the longer it takes to get approved since more is expected of the submission to justify the special stuff, and then all the special stuff has to be checked out to make sure it fits the world.

Also, patience is rewarded.  The approvers check from the bottom up among the submitted characters, so the "oldest" ones get checked out first.  Continually bumping a character thread for attention actually delays its review.

I guess a shorter answer would be, "A week is a long time."

Acacea

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 07:59:12 pm »
Regarding Deliar and Rofirein, it is only one example in a topic worth noting from the beginning - there are many different angles of the gods, and in this case Deliar is not just "the trade god," at least not to his devout, in his ideals. It is more like he is "the trader." In his role, he is CG, often nomadic, and very anti-oppression in several different forms. If it is hard to imagine a fat merchant combining these views, it's because that image is not quite there... it is easier to think of him as a halfling with a wagon, always on the road... the merchants of greed that use exploitation and more immoral (yet perhaps legal) means of gaining riches would be strongly opposed by a Deliarite... greed as philosophy is more Branderback's table, though it is unlikely they'll worship anything but money. :P

...So the god of law and order does not necessarily mesh with the Lucky Wanderer. Chaos is the enemy of Rofirein. ;) The merchant of fate, always at the right place at the right time for the deal that's best for everyone, probably returns the sentiment. (And does, according to deity relations, anyway...)

oldskooler

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 02:32:58 am »
thank you again!

i think i get it now....Deliar is more of a god of the road, and certain merchants, the ones who arent slavers or dealing in black lotus juice or hands of glory (evils), might worship the god of the road and journeys so as to smooth their own ways....

i'd kinda misinterpreted the God a bit...thanks for helping to straighten that out!

i'm not running a cleric or anything, but i sort'a reckon that, just as in the "real" world, most folk are religios to some degree and these gods and deities in layonara and elsewhere probably need big congregations of laypersons to help generate that manna for those miracles and well, it just seems to be a way to help give a little extra dimension to a character....not in every case, but if the hymnal fits...

hope to see you all 'round Layonara!