The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: scythe  (Read 259 times)

VolcanosD

scythe
« on: January 17, 2008, 05:13:38 pm »
i thought i read that druids can use scythe? is that correct?

or am i thinking of sickles?

O.o

ycleption

Re: scythe
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 05:20:30 pm »
You are probably thinking of sickles.. druids cannot use scythes; even if one could make them out of a non-metal material, I think using one for harvesting is not in keeping with the role of almost all druids (I can imagine druid who advises farmers one how to plant with minimum harm to nature or something...).
LORE: Druid Information
If you haven't taken a look at this page, you probably should; it contains information about druids on layonara.

lonnarin

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 05:44:24 pm »
Its not that the scythe is inappropriate to a druid's code, just that Bioware's code is inappropriate for druids.  A sickle is every much a farmer's harvesting impliment as a scythe.  I also see absolutely no difference mechanically between a human druid using a scimitar and a half-giant druid using a falchion... they are the very same curvy sword, just in two different sizes.  Simply because one is an exotic weapon rarely used and another is a martial one (and a custom one to NWN) they were not included in the druid's allotment of weapons, no matter how well they fit the class.

I also find it strange that the scythe is an exotic weapon which requires a special feat to even dare to pick up and use, whereas farmers who use them in droves are seldom known for their weapon training.  Of course, according to PnP rules, one may pick up and use an exotic weapon, they just recieve a -4 to swinging it in battle since it's so strange and unweildly in such a situation.  A large field of grain is not likely to have an AC above 4, considering it's size gargantuan and effectively immobile, and is incapable of battle.

ycleption

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 06:05:37 pm »
I agree, the druid codes with regards to weapons are rather arbitrary... but a sickle is a bit smaller scale instrument, and could conceivably be used for harvesting a small patch of edible things in a forest, while a scythe's benefit is that a row of mowers can more efficiently cut down a field of grain, and don't have to be hunched over while they harvest. If we give in to the druid stereotype for a second, imagine toting a scythe around through a forest... it just doesn't make sense. A sickle on the other hand, is supposedly made out of sharpened stone (and there are ancient sickle-like stone implements), and can be much more easily tucked away and brought out to do work.

And scimitars are um, more curvy than falchions... yeah, that's it...

The exotic weapon thing... well, using something for agricultural purposes and using it in battle are rather different. Especially for something with a blade facing the wielder, requiring a motion toward the wielder to strike, (try to visualize using it) I imagine it could take some practice to adapt to martial use.

Gulnyr

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 06:11:11 pm »
Quote from: lonnarin
I also find it strange that the scythe is an exotic weapon which requires a special feat to even dare to pick up and use, whereas farmers who use them in droves are seldom known for their weapon training.  Of course, according to PnP rules, one may pick up and use an exotic weapon, they just recieve a -4 to swinging it in battle since it's so strange and unweildly in such a situation.  A large field of grain is not likely to have an AC above 4, considering it's size gargantuan and effectively immobile, and is incapable of battle.

Using a scythe in a field of wheat is entirely different than using one in battle against mobile people.  A scythe would be a very odd weapon even if it's a rather simple tool, so it makes sense that a character would need to spend a feat to use one effectively in combat.  The feat represents the proper training.  It's not like the repetitive swing of a farmer at ankle height is much of an attack, after all.  Even without NWN's 'can't pick it up' mechanic, I think a scythe should get a greater non-proficiency penalty than, say, a katana, but sometimes the rules get over-simplified to enhance playability.

Riven

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 01:20:01 am »
For what it's worth....bringin RL into NWN - having cut thistles with a scythe for many hours over the course of several days in my teens, and having sword dueled with SCA rattan swords and many odd boffer weapons, I concur that a scythe would be a very unwieldy challenging tool to use as a weapon in a field of battle!
;)