The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Seasons  (Read 521 times)

Gulnyr

Seasons
« on: November 25, 2008, 02:12:55 pm »
I think this is assumed to be true but generally ignored because of the speed at which in-game time passes, but I don't remember it being explicitly stated anywhere: does Layonara tilt on its axis similarly to Earth and are there then seasons similar to those on Earth?

I was considering that it's winter in the northern hemisphere and summer in the southern hemisphere right now, and it made me wonder if Layonara more or less coincides with Earth, so that in Hlint and Dalanthar it's summer during Jular and winter during Decilar, and vice versa in Mariner's Hold and Western Gate.

The following users thanked this post: Hellblazer, ycleption, Kenderfriend, Link092

EdTheKet

Re: Seasons
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 02:30:58 pm »
Yes, there's seasons like Earth. And a difference in the northern and southern hemispheres.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:48:51 pm »
Quote from: EdTheKet
Yes, there's seasons like Earth. And a difference in the northern and southern hemispheres.
That brings up the exceptionally pertinent question... Where's the equator?

Marswipp

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 07:15:29 pm »
To the (game-)world map! :p
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

Link092

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 07:33:14 pm »
To the Layo-cave!

Gulnyr

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 08:30:16 pm »
Quote from: Stephen_Zuckerman
That brings up the exceptionally pertinent question... Where's the equator?

I actually considered that, too.  I took the full map and assumed the top edge was the north pole and the bottom edge was the south pole.  The middle line between them (aka the equator) almost coincides with the top end of Port Hempstead's peninsula (just a tad south of the little inlet there), across the north shore of the island of Xoroma, just south of the Lookout Tower in southern Dregar (which is a little north and west of Golden), and along the north shore of Lake Malice on Belinara.  

It's important to note that the full map and the individual continent maps don't exactly coincide.  For example, the continent map of Mistone shows the inlet at the north end of Hemp's peninsula to align horizontally pretty well with Vandery and Argas, while the full map shows both to be well north of the horizontal line through the inlet and includes another town on the line (on the north shore of the Gulf of Cor'ys) that doesn't exist on the continent map.  I guess that's a long-winded way of saying the maps may not be exact, so the equator might "drift" a little.

Marswipp

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 09:33:57 pm »
Now we just need to figure out the Prime Meridian's equivalent.
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

Link092

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 09:43:52 pm »
truthfully, that can be anywhere... preferably the greatest known city...

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 10:07:45 pm »
Quote from: Marswipp
Now we just need to figure out the Prime Meridian's equivalent.

The Primer Meridian was an arbitrary line, yeah. "Hey, this should be the standard, yeah! 'Cause we're awesome."

Prime Meridian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia