The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: spell school immunity question  (Read 517 times)

jrizz

spell school immunity question
« on: May 22, 2011, 01:55:17 am »
If a item has spells school immunity on it to Illusion. How does that work? If an opponent has shadow shield cast on them will the person with immunity to Illusions not be subject to the +5 to ac the opponent gets?

Dorganath

Re: spell school immunity question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 02:06:40 am »
I'm pretty sure it's an immunity to the harmful effects, not the helpful ones.  I only say "pretty sure" because I've never done any hands-on testing with it.  But I do know that all spells have a "hostile" flag, meaning if it's set, then it's considered a harmful spell, and NWN makes several decisions based on that.

jrizz

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 02:29:12 am »
Would it let you see through invisibility?

wild_down_under

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 03:18:38 am »
I do not think so. Basically, when you are immune to School of Illusion, the Weird spell, or any harmful spells that belong to the School of Illusion do not affect you. Kinda like Death Ward is against death spells.

willhoff

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 04:18:29 am »
Quote from: Dorganath
I'm pretty sure it's an immunity to the harmful effects, not the helpful ones.  I only say "pretty sure" because I've never done any hands-on testing with it.  But I do know that all spells have a "hostile" flag, meaning if it's set, then it's considered a harmful spell, and NWN makes several decisions based on that.

I'm guessing then that an ally who was a spellcaster could cast Improved invisibility on a person wearing an item with immunity to illusion spells and the item immunity would not prevent the spell to take effect because its "helpful"?

mixafix

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 04:44:58 am »
changing schools - protection against divination does not prevent true seeing working on the protected person nor does it stop the protected person being seen by a foe with true seeing. So if this carries across it confirms you are only talking about harmful spells here...nice try though for the dream ticket.

lonnarin

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 09:24:36 am »
Harmful effects... so will it prevent beer goggles?

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 09:38:06 am »
It will save Wren from the effect of phantasmal killer, weird, shades, and any other illusion spells that can be used to damage or kill an opponent.

Dorganath

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 11:21:46 am »
Right, it's harmful spells cast against (i.e. area-of-effect) or upon you. Things like invisibility aren't cast on you and neither are they harmful.

Ravemore

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 11:35:28 am »
Quote from: lonnarin

LOL... No, and the DC on that is like 50 or something if I remember correctly from my younger years. :p

Polak76

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 11:46:37 pm »
Quote from: lonnarin

In some circumstances one might consider that as a beneficial effect.