The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Spellsword PrC & Weapon Choices  (Read 269 times)

Nehetsrev

Spellsword PrC & Weapon Choices
« on: October 04, 2011, 04:06:46 pm »
Alright, I've been tinkering with a new character concept in my head for a couple days now, and part of the concept would include levels as a Spellsword.  Looking at the LORE entry regarding the Spellsword PrC, it wasn't entirely clear to me whether there was some reason, mechanically or lore-wise that a Spellsword would actually have to use a sword as their weapon.

Another way of getting to my question is this:  Spellswords are required to have the feats Weapon Proficiency (Simple) & Weapon Proficiency (Martial), and those two feats cover the use of a wide range of weapons, many of which are not swords.  So, can a "Spellsword" actually use something like a flail, or an axe in conjunction with their abilities, or do the abilities only work with swords?

Is "Spellsword" then just a generic term used to describe anyone capable of channeling the Al'Noth through a melee weapon while ignoring the hindering effects heavy armour has on casting?

Pibemanden

Re: Spellsword PrC & Weapon Choices
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:48:16 pm »
I think it is stated -somewhere-that there are also spellspears etc. I think that the general rule is that you can imbue any non ranged weapon.. Storold uses a rapier fx.

Dorganath

Re: Spellsword PrC & Weapon Choices
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 07:58:48 pm »
Correct.

And there was something we had at one point that spoke of other weapons a Spellsword could use. It it definitely not restricted to just swords. Connor typically imbues his quarterstaff, for example.

The key factor is learning to imbue a melee weapon.

There are (slowly but surely) updated descriptions to all the classes we have coming. Some are done. Some are in-progress. Some are not yet started.  We'll be sure to clarify this when we do Spellsword.

anything