The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: stealing  (Read 1137 times)

Gunther

stealing
« on: April 22, 2017, 11:38:32 am »
I just restarted Gunther after a five year hiatus and was wandering around, reacquainting myself with layo.  n said wandering, Gunther happened upon a cave with a locked door inside.  Not being the lockpicking sort, Gunther battered the door down and went inside.  It appeared to be somebody's home or guild hall.  Curiosity unsated, Gunther poked around the various bookshelves and storage containers.  Some were locked and unbreakable.  But one had a really nasty helm inside.  Dont recall the name of it, but it exuded evil and required a 32nd level character anyway.  It was otherwise pretty powerful.  Not a crafted item.  Gunther didnt take it as it was unusable and reeked of evil (Gunther is CG, if I recall).  But it did make me curious, in our current day of few characters extant, are such items considered abandoned and therefore finders keepers, or do we acknowledge the possibility that people might come back and wonder where their stuff is, so we keep our greedy mitts to ourselves?  I plan on wandering around some more and poking about, if I find something ungodly powerful that Gunther can use, is it fair game?  I dont really plan on breaking into folk's homes and looting myself silly, but I kinda like reading the descriptions on unique items and someday might find something that I'm tempted by.

Gunther

OOps never mind, just
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 11:45:53 am »

OOps never mind, just searched 'stealing'.  I'll assume its still a bannable offense.  Good thing Gunther just looked.  Though it would be sort of neat to get some of the unique items back in circulation.

Dorganath

Yipe!Basically, if it's a
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 12:09:59 pm »

Yipe!

Basically, if it's a locked door that corresponds to player housing, what's beyond is off-limits. How do you know? If you try to open the door normally, you'll get a conversation. If you get that, don't break down the door, and don't go in without permission. The areas inside of these doors are also usually numbered, so if you go past such a door and the area name looks like 123 Leringard (or some other number + named location identifier), that's also player housing.

There are some exceptions to this, on a case-by-case basis, which is entirely up to the owners of those specific properties:

1. We have some guild stores which operate somewhat on a trust model, where certain goods are left in publicly-accessible chests. There are also typically signs stating as much, so follow their rules and you won't have a problem. Typically, the public does not access these stores through a locked door, however, but I mention them because they are technically a player housing area.
  2. There are a few houses that people leave "unlocked" (though you still get the conversation when trying to open the door) for the purpose of making their housing portals available. This, again, is something set by the owner of the home, but it does not give any permission to anyone to loot the house or use it for any other purpose besides the portal.
  3. There are also a few instances where someone has purposefully set up the house to be at least partially accessible by anyone, and things like refreshments, food and basic supplies are left there for the taking in good faith.
  4. There are some player-run inns in-game which have a publicly-accessible area that can reached without using a locked door. These areas could have persistent storage chests and things within them and again posted rules/requests for their use (or not).

But when in doubt, err on the side of caution. There is a log on every storage container that tells who put something into a container or took something out of a container. This is visible in-game as well, so should someone notice something missing, the list of suspects can be rapidly narrowed. Stealing from players is, as you noted, a potentially bannable offense.

You can also ask a GM about a specific area (privately or publicly) by the area's name.

Adventuring areas are fair game, of course, whether they're behind a locked door or not.

Gunther

OK thanks.  I'll restrain my
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 12:20:22 pm »

OK thanks.  I'll restrain my curiosity.

Gunther

Yeah, just found what I guess
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 10:20:07 am »

Yeah, just found what I guess was a guild/player store, with accessible chests.  There were notes with prices for the various items and hundreds of thousands of trues in various chests.  Some interesting unique items with little stories in the descriptions.  Neat.  Nothing Gunther could use really, but interesting to look at and see whats out there.

Acacea

It can be tough to play
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 11:11:28 am »

It can be tough to play characters with little to no respect for property laws :)

Gunther

Well, Gunther is a barb with
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 04:01:21 pm »

Well, Gunther is a barb with an intelligence of around 6(I think).  I expect he'd be a little fuzzy on legalities and property.  But how tough could it be to determine 'mine' or 'not mine'.  My year old puppy understands 'mine'.  But then she's probably smarter than Gunther.

cbnicholson

Well.. If it was the Angels
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 06:19:36 pm »

Well.. If it was the Angels I'd encourage you to feel free to examine gear and even try on a piece if you feel inclined to do so, just put it back if you aren't making a purchase please.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Gunther

I dont think it was Angels. 
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 09:05:45 am »

I dont think it was Angels.  It was a name something like Cayleith E-omething, I think.  No idea who that is.  But then I looked in another place earlier that I think might have been Angels.  At least I think it was in the general area of where I remember Angels being five or so years ago.  Gunther has bought from Angels in the distant past.  I think his greatsword, a ring or two, not sure what else.  Really though, Gunther is pretty well kitted out, until he gets to the point where he'll want mithril armor, but thats a long ways off, if it ever happens at all.  I think thats 30-something level and Gunther is 25.  Doubt he'll ever get there.

Serissa

Check changes in calculation
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 08:56:00 am »

Check changes in calculation of soul mother hits and new constantly ticking exp.  You've got a better chance of making it than you did in the past.