The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: swapping DT s  (Read 1011 times)

Erik K

swapping DT s
« on: June 20, 2007, 06:33:30 pm »
What are possibilities of setting up a CDQ or something of the sort where one character could give up some or all of his remaining death threads to another character.  The characters are run by different people and there are some good IC reasons for the character to do this.  While I have never seen anything like this done, it could have some potiential for outstanding RP.

Shadowblade225

Re: swapping DT s
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 06:39:20 pm »
This has been asked before.  Swapping DT's isn't allowed unfortunately despite good RP rationale.

Lord of the Forest

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 07:43:55 pm »
What Shadowblade said.

hawklen

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 09:57:20 pm »
Quote from: Lord of the Forest
What Shadowblade said.

That means if one person wanted to give up a strand to give to another, it can't be done?

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 10:10:55 pm »
That's exactly what it means.  It will not happen.

hawklen

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 10:37:40 pm »
Quote from: Dorganath
That's exactly what it means.  It will not happen.

Thanks for the info dorg

Acacea

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 11:39:36 pm »
It's not just for OOC reasons that it can't be done, though. I'm sure it makes perfect sense to try, but whether or not it could be done, or would be that useful, is a different story. We are talking about their souls, after all. It doesn't get much more personal and unique between others, not something as simple and mundane as a blood transfusion or donating an organ or something. I say simple and mundane because of course, in comparison to souls, it is.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 12:15:01 am »
Yup. pirates of the carribean even says it : One soul doesn't necessarily equal another.

Faldred

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 12:00:42 pm »
Laying down your life for another is noble; you can freely give of your life to any person, place, or cause.  But your soul is your own for eternity, for better or for worse.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 01:50:34 pm »
your own until the Soul Mother or some other demon eats it ;-)

Faldred

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 03:21:56 pm »
Yeah, yeah... excuse me for waxing poetic...  :p

lonnarin

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 05:22:35 pm »
I think you can quest to the Soul Mother herself and BEAT some soul strands out of her.  I seem to remember when everybody on the server got one back because a powerful cleric did just that, and left her bruised and bloodied long enough that we had a month or two without fearing her wrath.

Acacea

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 07:59:24 pm »
Going to the plane of the lost to bargain with the Soul Mother for a strand of someone's soul (who had already permed) would be an insane quest - failure or even success still means instant permadeath for anyone who dies in her domain. It has never been tried in NWN, though there are several characters who have more than considered it.

The global return of strands was different, and the result of a successful ECDQ (WL now) - she had a plot and was reaching her hand into the world, and was slapped down, weakened in the process... if it had failed the opposite would probably have occurred, and I bet no one would have liked that. *Looks around.*

I'm pretty sure neither of the above were what they were going to implement for strand return, though. :P

Edit - by slapped down, just 'foiled in an indirect manner' - I'm sure if anyone tried to literally slap her down, it would not...go well.

Shadowblade225

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 08:16:57 pm »
Quote from: Acacea
Going to the plane of the lost to bargain with the Soul Mother for a strand of someone's soul (who had already permed) would be an insane quest - failure or even success still means instant permadeath for anyone who dies in her domain. It has never been tried in NWN, though there are several characters who have more than considered it.

The global return of strands was different, and the result of a successful ECDQ (WL now) - she had a plot and was reaching her hand into the world, and was slapped down, weakened in the process... if it had failed the opposite would probably have occurred, and I bet no one would have liked that. *Looks around.*

I'm pretty sure neither of the above were what they were going to implement for strand return, though. :P

Edit - by slapped down, just 'foiled in an indirect manner' - I'm sure if anyone tried to literally slap her down, it would not...go well.

Tell me there's something written about that quest so I can read it :)

anything