The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Tournament for a house?  (Read 546 times)

lonnarin

Tournament for a house?
« on: February 13, 2011, 10:42:47 am »
After the realization that I really haven't played Bjornigar for many RL years, I am preparing to delete the old codger in order to make room for some new blood.  What to do with his house has been a touchy subject for me.  While Willy does live there, my roommate never actually plays Willy, and Willy never paid Bjorn any rent, so why should he get a house for free?  To me it would be muling to hand a house over to the guy on the couch, and especially wasteful if that guy on the couch is never actually played anymore, in essence just another one of those "Zombie houses" out there that gather dust and bear the name of some guy nobody's ever heard of or seen logged in for the past 3-4 years.

I then considered simply vacating the house upon my deletion and putting it up for sale on the open market.  But then somebody with a whole lot of gold who really didn't need a house would buy it up, decorate it and never use it.  Somebody who already has multiple houses gathering dust.  Somebody whose only claim to it was that he had lots of cash on hand and was lucky (or well informed) enough to know exactly when and where it was going up for sale and buy it right there and then.  Or I could auction it up and the guy with 15,000,000 gp in his account and 5 houses to his name would wind up winning it.  I find just about every open-market option equally detestable.

SO it dawned on me to MAKE the new owner earn the house, and hold a player event tournament in the arena!  The most under-utilized, awesome thing we have on the server.  But single competition would be much the same result as the above options, the guy with 40 levels and 90,000,000gp in gear would win, and add to his 5 houses.  So I'm thinking... mixed team competitions.

What I propose is a tournament for Bjorns house in which teams of 3 must sign up.  These teams of 3 could be any class combination, except that they must be limited to levels 5-20.  Anybody less than level 5 shouldn't get a free house, anybody over level 20 should have enough money/resources/connections/oldfriendsoraltcharacterswhoneverplayanymorethatlettheirzombiehousesgatherdust to go buy their own.  Or at the very least characters over 20th level should have enough gold already to rent one of the many vacant rooms in the Open Arms Inn right across the street.

What would be the feasibility of running this?  First of all, would a prize as valuable as a house be allowed to be won in such a matter?  Since it was my own house, I immediately disqualify ANY of my own characters from the competition.  Also I would like to disqualify anybody who already owns one as well from being able to win it.  I want to see active players who would actually use it have an opportunity to earn it on as open a court as possible.  And most importantly, I want to see some spectacular arena competition with team tactics.

This is why I want teams of 3, levels 5-20.  This is so that mages don't have unfair advantage nor do fighters; there are enough combinations for infinite ways to win.  We could set the tournament months in advance, so people could actively recruit and train their teams in preparation, scope out about the competition, try to figure out their tactics in advance, etc.  Hopefully this would also give a goal for more people to actively hunt on the server, training in a most rocky balboa fashion.  Also to breathe life into forgotten characters of those of us who play epics.  "Level 21+ is disqualified you say? well let's see, there's this guy I made long ago..."

When the top team is victorious, they will be given 5 minutes in game to decide which character will bear the title of the house.  This can be done through negotiation of subletting, or combat AT ANY TIME during these 5 minutes.  This is to ensure added drama to the event, where you must pick your team from those you trust, or agree in advance to go last man standing route.  If at any time during the 5 minutes a vote is unanimous that one shall hold the title, then he does and is declared Number 1 Contender.  If they fight, then the last man standing is the Number One Contender.

The Number One Contender then must face the winner of the Losers Battle Royale!  This will be when we fill the ring with all the entrants to all previous bouts in the tournament, and let them go at it at the count of 3 for the last man standing.  Should all die at once due to massive area effect, then whoever is luckiest to be the last one fallen in the server battle-text will have one.  This person who shall wins the Losers Battle Royale then faces the Number One Contender.  So then the final match would be, one-on-one.

What are your thoughts on this format?

Zoogmunch

Re: Tournament for a house?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 01:51:52 pm »
sounds fantastic.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 05:47:10 pm »
IS there a max level for the teams?

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 08:02:06 pm »
Go for it.

merlin34baseball

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 08:12:27 pm »
I had that question too... Max level total per team.

You could roll out three level 20s.........;)

jrizz

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 10:29:38 pm »
Quote from: merlin34baseball
I had that question too... Max level total per team.

You could roll out three level 20s.........;)

If you can find three level 20s that dont own houses :)

The reqs for participation are PCs levels 5 to 20 AND dont own houses.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 11:36:14 am »
I really like this idea.

Aside from his level and connection to the Arms disqualifying him, Steel wouldn't have an interest in buying a house anyway. However, the Arms would love to sponsor the event with drinks and food, and Steel himself would enjoy coaching a team. So with that said, I'd like to propose players with houses/characters over level twenty be allowed to coach competing teams. And by coach I simply mean that the 20+ level PC would aid with the tactics and teamwork; I do not mean that the 20+ level character supplies special gear or other IG physical benefits to its team. Coaching, not sponsoring.

Does that all sound good?

RollinsCat

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 11:41:01 am »
The Silver Buckle will coach a team as well if that's deemed a fun idea.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 12:11:07 pm »
I deem it fun ;)

xsweetpeaxs

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 12:17:39 pm »
Darn it.. five lvls off :( Sis and I don't own a house; we're living off of others *coughs* thank you Vlad and Wren. We have the gold to buy the house IF there were any on the market.

However, we do have brand spankin' new low lvl characters. So instead of having a team of all lvl 20s dominating the tournament, is it possible set a lvl range requirement per team participating? Say, three players- player 1: 5-10, player 2: 11-15, player 3: 16-20. That way, the range will allow for a mix of class and fairness versus three lvl 20 participants.

Just an idea :)

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 12:26:12 pm »
That is what I was getting at too.  I think a level cap on the teams should be instituted.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 12:30:22 pm »
Cap it at what, a total of levels equaling 35? So you could have one twentieth, one tenth, and one fifth level character in a team, or two twelfth level characters and one eleventh level character, etc.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 12:38:23 pm »
That sounds good to me.

willhoff

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 01:09:48 pm »
so a 33 level mage could enter combat with two level one underlings?  Vlad doesnt need another house :)

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 01:17:12 pm »
Heh, nah, Willhoff, that wouldn't be possible. 35 total levels, but the restrictions that you have to be 5th-20th level and not own a house would still be in place.

willhoff

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 01:42:08 pm »
Ahh okay Milty that makes more sense.  Seems like a cool idea and I look forward to watching the battles.

lonnarin

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 06:28:12 pm »
To address the level spreads of the teams, know that the tournament isn't likely to begin for at least an RL month. Maybe two, as There's still quite a bit of prep-work, fine-tuning and fine-tooth-combing to do as well.  Heck, I still don't even have official team permission to run it yet!  So you'd have a month or two to beef up as needed.  

Don't be discourage from competing if you're not yet or likely to be level 20!  Remember, dice rolls can be wonky, and if you scout the other teams signed up or rumored to have signed up, you might notice a few Achilles heels.  For example, even though Kurn is a dmg-pumping nightmare, I'd still put my money on Farros if they were to fight one on one, and Kurn has 2 levels on him.  Farros would easily break his will and have him shrieking in the corner while getting arched down.  Luckily for all of you, Farros is ineligible due to being my character, heheh...  But picking the right team with the right spells, I predict this will be like real-life creatures cards!  

I'd be happy to accept Steel's and anybody else's help in this event, and remember that the tournament for the house is simply the main event *so far*. It'd be most excellent if we could get a seperate tournament of some sort for all those 20+ folks as well. ;)  super heavyweight division perhaps?  We need food, gambling, entertainment, classic Pro-Wrestling managers, cheerleaders, you name it!  It couldn't please Bjorn's greedy ol heart more than to see good coin being spent on gear all around, fortunes won and bank accounts ruined on side-wagers and high-stakes gambling.  We should also have boasting competitions before the matches, where barbarians froth and paladins swear up and down how many ways they'll smite the competition with righteous fury.  Turnbuckle-eating is encouraged.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 06:30:16 pm »
Quote from: lonnarin
Heck, I still don't even have official team permission to run it yet!

Quote from: Dorganath
Go for it.

That sounds like a pretty good endorsement.

Zoogmunch

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 03:10:28 pm »
Sounds fantastic!

I'll sign up Grendola Pigstrotter now.

She can't write but who do i see to bid for the bacon butty franchise?

Zoogmunch

RollinsCat

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 03:40:54 pm »
The Silver Buckle will sponsor the Bacon Butts.  Cause I love the name.

anything