The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Turning and Clerics of Evil alignment  (Read 397 times)

Lance Stargazer

Turning and Clerics of Evil alignment
« on: May 01, 2008, 09:15:18 pm »
I have a question,

As Turning works with the Evil alignment priests, they are supposed to command undead instead of turning them, Is there any exception to this depending on the deity. As an example that come to my mind is a Lawful Evi rofirenite Priest.

As Rofirein is seen as a good of virtue, his LE priest will command undead , or there is some change in the script of the server that gives Proper turning type based on deity nor alignment.

Thanks in advance.

ycleption

Re: Turning and Clerics of Evil alignment
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 09:21:35 pm »
Well, in NWN there is no command undead...

This  thread may provide some insight.

Pseudonym

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 09:24:02 pm »
I'm sure someone will come along in a bit and offer you a ten paragraph answer but just quickly, Rofirein is NOT a God of virtue (on the good-evil alignment axis), Rofirein is primarily a God of law (on the law-chaos axis).

Gulnyr

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:54:31 pm »
I don't have any real answer to the question about commanding vs. turning (just an opinion based on mechanics), but I do have some insight on Rofirein and the undead.  

First, Rofirein is serious about order.  Things need to be orderly for the good of the most people.  Undead things generally scare the pants off people and tend to cause havoc, so undead are usually seen as enemies of order.  Unless they are being commanded to get back into their graves and stay there, there probably wouldn't be a lot of undead commanding from a Rofireinite.

Second, it is unethical and illegal to disturb graves and the remains and items within.  Since it would be wrong to create undead (by disturbing those remains), it probably wouldn't be looked on too favorably to make use of undead like some sort of slaves or stolen property, either.  

Third, all sentient creatures within a kingdom are seen to be under the laws of that kingdom.  So, for example, all the citizens of Port Hempstead, the travelers and visitors to the city, the kobolds near the farmlands, the gnolls in the Ire Mountains, a hypothetical dragon who lairs in the mountains and eats the gnolls, the halflings in the Spirit Dunes, the goblins near the Gulf of Bagira, and the vampires hanging out in Alindor's Demise are all subject to the laws of the Brelin Kingdom.  A lot of them probably don't care and might even laugh at the suggestion that they were subject to the laws.  Yes, sentient undead are included.  Completely included.  A Rofireinite should try to bring sentient undead to trial, if possible, not go straight for the kill like a one-man judge and jury or some equivocating Toranite. *hehe*  The law is the law for everyone.

Gulnyr

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 11:02:54 pm »
And...
Quote from: Pseudonym
I'm sure someone will come along in a bit and offer you a ten paragraph answer but just quickly, Rofirein is NOT a God of virtue (on the good-evil alignment axis), Rofirein is primarily a God of law (on the law-chaos axis).

The first sentence of Rofirein's LORE page says:
Quote from: The Rofirein Page on LORE
You are a paragon of virtue and honor...

It's too bad "virtue" has so many definitions.  Both of these quotes are right, they just use different meanings of the word.

*shakes a fist at the English language*

ycleption

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 11:15:01 pm »
Well, I've always been of the belief that, aside from game-mechanical meanings, you have to view the axes in light of one another. So yes, Rofi is a god of Law. When he says virtue, what does he mean by that? Be lawful.

From a Rofienite perspective, it doesn't make sense to speak of virtue of and goodness without the framework of law and order. "Extend honor to all" That's expressing a virtue, an ideal within the "law" mindset. To someone who has a different worldview, "extend honor to all" might un-virtuous, because to them it means "let evil get away with things if you can't beat that evil in a one-on-one honorable duel."
To a Rofienite, virtue is turning in a friend to the town guard, not because you shouldn't be loyal to your friends, but because in order for the law to have credibility, it must treat all equally. "Good" according to Rofi, looks to the whole society, and places that above any individual, even a friend. To someone else, that's called dirty backstabbing (or stronger terms): the opposite of virtue, because you can't be good unless you respect individual autonomy...

Lance Stargazer

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 05:14:50 am »
That is exactly what I was trying to say as virtuous, and since Undead are an antinatural thing and mostly are devoted to Corath is of course something that a Rofirenite shall considerate .

LightlyFrosted

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 12:29:14 pm »
Now, the really interesting question would be, what if someone specifically willed their body to be raised as undead for the purpose of protecting a crypt?  There are non-Corathite necromancers, after all.  A cleric of law and order would neither be justified in destroying the undead - it is not, after all, causing havoc, and the illegal act of its creation has already been done, leaving nothing but its existence to be reckoned with; a non-illegal existence, as its body was not stolen, but in fact willed, and the undead is not technically doing anything wrong, unless you consider all undead to be abominations.

ycleption

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 12:51:44 pm »
That's easy...
"What? Some willed their body to become undead to guard a crypt? Quickly, ride to Vehl and ask for an interpretation of the law governing this, I believe it is 34.4 (a) of the seventeeth book of Rofirein, the section is entitled 'On illegally created non-marauding entities.' I will stay and try to catch this fiend doing something illegal while you find what the holy word of Rofirein dictates."
;)