The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 782 times)

MadHattan

What am I doing wrong?
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:15:09 pm »
What am I doing wrong?

Evey time I login with SehKy; change servers with SehKy; or return after a crash; I loose one fourth level spell and all of his eighth level spells.  To be clear the spells in the affected slots are wiped out.  To recover, I have to reselect the spells and rest to get them back that is, if I remember and if SehKy's rest timer has run down to where SehKy can rest.

- Madd

Jilseponie Wyndon

Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:32:07 pm »
I have the same problem.  I "think" the answer is that I am wearing jewelry to increase my INT skills which give me bonus spells.  Being bonus' they are reset every log in to each server.

Testing

Removed all INT items.  Log out/in Have all Spells
Added +8 INT items normally worn.  Got bonus spells in 5 lvls.  Log out/in had to re-memorize just the additional spells.

Dorganath

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:46:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure it is related to equipment that boosts spells and spell slots.

The reason being that when you log into a "fresh" server, that being your first login after the server restarts, the speed at which your items are equipped by the game engine races with the speed at which the game engine calculates your spells and slots. At that point, the server doesn't remember anything about your character state, so it has to figure it all out, which can take a little bit of time, relatively speaking. For subsequent logins, the server remembers your character state a little better and things are processed more smoothly...and quickly.

MadHattan

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:55:52 pm »
Sadly it is every single time... such as relogging to get rid of horse aura...or crash recovery.  What is strange is that I loose all level eight spells...  I get at least one 8th level slot for being a level 15 wizard so I should not loose that one if it were due to just jewlery alone.  Right?

NOTE: SehKy only gets +1 int total from gear he wears.

- Madd

Alatriel

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:30:36 pm »
Same thing happens if I were to remove and reequip Zari's Nymph +3 cloak a bunch of times.  Every time I do it, she loses spells until she's got nothing.  I haven't really checked if it happens when I change servers, but I always rest sometime soon after if it really matters, so it hasn't been an issue.

Guardian 452

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:41:55 pm »
Enzo has this too... I thought it was the epic wisdom boost causing it with him. My other characters with only gear boosts never loose spells logging back in.

ystrday

What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 11:30:55 pm »
Ell has this same issue, and it started with her when she taken epic wisdom. The same thing you described about losing spells every time you log into game, even after a crash you loose spells happened to Ell.

Do you have anything epic along those lines? If so, that could be why.

MadHattan

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 08:39:10 am »
I can understand loosing spells due to +int gear.  I can understand loosing spells to +int feats. I can follow that slots could be lost from the server applying skins and what not when I log in.

What I don't understand is why I loose all 8th lvl spells when at least one is guaranteed from being a lvl 15 wizard.  The first 8th lvl spell slot I don't get from a feat;  race skin; or from gear but I still loose it.

I hope my observation might help the scripters help all that are affected.

- Madd

lonnarin

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:29:41 am »
What is your natural int score before all gear?  In order to prevent the login-wiping of spells, your *natural* int score must be 10+spell level.  Subrace bonuses and negatives are also factored in after the fact.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 09:55:39 am »
Steel's subrace bonus to Int always screwballs his spells. I've never had a problem with worn items.

Dorganath

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 10:03:03 am »
Quote from: MadHattan
I can understand loosing spells due to +int gear.  I can understand loosing spells to +int feats. I can follow that slots could be lost from the server applying skins and what not when I log in.

What I don't understand is why I loose all 8th lvl spells when at least one is guaranteed from being a lvl 15 wizard.  The first 8th lvl spell slot I don't get from a feat;  race skin; or from gear but I still loose it.

I hope my observation might help the scripters help all that are affected.

- Madd

According to LORE, SehKy's base INT, without gear, is 17. This isn't high enough on its own to support 8th level spells, regardless of the number of wizard levels.  Most likely, this is the cause of your problems.

This isn't a scripting issue. This is Bioware's engine doing its thing.

Chazzler

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 10:47:49 am »
I had this kind of a problem way, way back, when I was playing Godim Harjumaa.
I noticed that right after I took Epic Intelligence feat that granted him a even +X amount of intelligence, each time I logged / crashed / changed servers, I lost a spell or two here and there, because the Epic Intelligence feat kicks in later / at some other time than the inventory and Base intelligence stat.

I now have this same thing with Chakar, who has Epic Intelligence (1st) and he loses a spell slot's contents on level 9 spells, and some every here and there in his book of spells according to how the stats effect the slots.

What I do nowadays, is only slot spells that I seldom need to use to those slots (they are always the last ones from left to right on the spellbook).
Of course, that is only a little condolence to losing the whole circle 8 of spells.

Either something needs to be done mechanically wise to Epic Intelligence / Epic Wisdom / Epic Charisma feats for Sehky's case to work as intended, or he'd need to raise his Base intelligence stat to 9 (even then he'd lose a slot or three upon crash, relog, but not both circle 8 & 9).

mixafix

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 11:15:42 am »
Yes I always have those last slots non essential for this and any shape changers and also..

I have had pcs carry items just before logging that boost stats they do not need, but which allow them to log back on and retain prepared spells. This is an individual solution that requires you to remember but it seems to work.

davidhoff

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 12:11:14 pm »
To further confirm this, Tralek will lose some spells (I think its one 9th lvl and one 7th level; hmmm maybe a 6th lvl too...can't recall) whenever I relog or change servers.

Another funny thing that happens sometimes when I relog is that Tralek will get new 8th lvl spells even if they were all spent before (for example he'll get 4 new Bracars even if I spent them all before reloging).

Xaltotun

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 05:37:05 pm »
Mixafix's tip of carrying an item that boosts int (or in my case wisdom) which she doesn't need, but does make sure she keeps her one and only 5th level spell - which she was losing every time she logged on.

I checked her native wisdom and it is 15 so that should be enough to guarantee at least one lvl5 spell, but it doesn't - however, Mix's tip is a good workaround and I would recommend it.

anything