The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A step between Iron and Adamantium?  (Read 247 times)

Vyris

A step between Iron and Adamantium?
« on: August 29, 2005, 10:51:00 am »
As far as weapon and armor smithing goes it would be nice, and logical to have an alloy between Iron (tough but plentifull) and adamantium (incredibly tough, also extremely hard to get)

I was thinking of Steel.

You make steel from Iron, but you have to purge the ore of impurities.

This site explains how it works and gives a nice basic breakdown of things http://science.howstuffworks.com/iron.htm
Specifically regarding creating steel here : http://science.howstuffworks.com/iron4.htm

The process I have in mind for Layonara goes like this

You mine the iron ore, place the raw mineral ore into the furnace (like smelting normal iron)
Using an open hearth furnace, you add limestone, a bottle of alchemist fire, a lump of coal and 2 mineral iron ore chunks. Success yields one ingot of steel after burning off the impurities.

Steel weapon properties
- as Iron except for additional properties
* -20% weight
* +2 parry

Steel armor properties
- as Iron except for additional properties
* -20% wieght
* 10/ resist pierce
* 5/ resist slash
* 10/ vulnerability to electrical
* 10/ vulnerability to cold

Anyway, thats my thought, feel free to dissect it.

Vyris

Ar7

RE: A step between Iron and Adamantium?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 10:59:00 am »
It sounds interesting, but giving so many bonuses to steel is too much. The question is though, who will code it all :)

Vyris

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 11:23:00 am »
Ar7 - 8/29/2005  11:59 AM

It sounds interesting, but giving so many bonuses to steel is too much. The question is though, who will code it all :)

reduced wieght and +2 parry? Or are you talking about the resists?
I think the vulnerability to cold and electrical at twice that of the resitance would balance it a bit.
Just thoughts though, the final product rarely mirrors the proposed idea anyway.

As far as coding it goes, well *raises his hand* I can do that much, though whether Leanthar wants to let me anywhere near the database is something else entirely :)

Vyris

Eight-Bit

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 11:27:00 am »
That 10/- Piercing DR would make you immune to all but the most powerful of archers. So that would have to go. This just seems to me like it would try to overlap Platinum. Or atleast the oldschool Platinum.

Pankoki

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 11:34:00 am »
The weapon looks fine, the armour is waaaaaaaay too powerful. It can't be stronger than platinum, so in essence it would have to be the same as iron but with weight reduction. Thats about it, any added resistances and it becomes the preference over platinum.

Vyris

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 11:39:00 am »
And thus, why we debate things, I'm definately no expert on the armor progressions, the resistances and such were just suggestions, since I wasn't looking at the stuff platinum has I was just going off what sounded good.

As a step between iron and platinum though it could have it's place in the CNR tree though I think.

My only concern beyond that would be to stretch out the higher end CNR so that they become slightly more difficult to craft as well, hmmm.

Vyris

steverimmer

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 12:09:00 pm »
Rather than have +2 to parry why not change it to +2 to discipline.  I don't think a lot of people use parry anyway whereas most fighters worth their salt do use discipline, this would make the weapon useful to a wider playerbase.  I mean if you don't, then there is not much incentive to change your weapon from iron, unless of course you do use parry.

Heh mind you if they were immune to those rust thingies well then that would be an incentive :)

Vyris

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 12:20:00 pm »
Steel rusts unless you treat it, or galvanize it ir paint it.

Vyris

steverimmer

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 12:24:00 pm »
well there you go then you can add an alchemy componant to the recipe :)

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 12:26:00 pm »
Interesting idea, i wonder if the variety of shields will be increased. :)

Vyris

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 04:03:00 pm »
steverimmer - 8/29/2005  1:24 PM

well there you go then you can add an alchemy componant to the recipe :)

Already had alchemist fire in there, catalyst for the coal you know :)

Vyris

steverimmer

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 04:06:00 pm »
heh :D

PsychicToaster

• Followers of Lucinda
    • Followers of Mist
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 04:19:00 pm »
What about materials that just give +3 damage and +1 attack bonus or +3 attack bonus and +1 damage as an alternative to +2 enhancement?

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 07:37:00 pm »
Yeah, your steel armor is better than adamantium.

Ada is +1 with +1/5 Damage reduction.  Which means you ignore 5 points of physical damage from any weapon that is lower than +1.

5/- Slashing resist means you ignore 5 points of slashing damage PERIOD.  Which is a stronger property than the +1/5 alone.

10/- Piercing... A damage resist this high should not exist untill at least after level 20 if at all.  The abundance of high physical damage reduction items in the OC even at low levels was a huge reason why its balance was so broken.

"10/ vunerability to electrical" not sure what you mean by this... no such property exists.

Vulnerabilities are like immunities.  you take a certain percent more or less damage than you were dealt.

If you want to rate armor according to its AC bonus, thinking of resistances as merely added bonus' then adamantium is between iron and platinum.  However, damage resistance and damage reduction are most often more powerfull than he AC bonus itself (especially if you're a cleric, or have a cleric to cast Greater magic vestment.)

-TV

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 07:38:00 pm »
PsychicToaster - 8/29/2005  5:19 PM

What about materials that just give +3 damage and +1 attack bonus or +3 attack bonus and +1 damage as an alternative to +2 enhancement?

I'm a fan of weapons that make you choose between more damage, or more AB and DR piercing power, however They dont work with the enchantment rod system.  Any plain old damage bonus' (like on bronze weapons) will get overwritten if you put a rod on it.

-TV

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 07:53:00 pm »
For the most part, CNR can't take another metal for progression reasons.

It would just increase the speed inwhich players level. Which is what we wanted to stay away from.

We want players to get to iron and then have a tough time after that.

Adding steel would mean they are able to advance further before getting to 'endgame' type metals. Which we want to keep always rare and hard. Those that are high level smiths are people that have invested a lot of time and effort to work up the trade.

If it could be done over, all the trades would be of similar difficulty. But that would involve too much work and a wipe of tradeskills, which means it's unlikely it'll happen until the next game comes out, and Layonara goes to a new system. Which isn't happening anytime in the forseeable future.

We may down the line add more enchancement items to the weapon/armor smithing lines. Which would help flesh it out and add utility to various weapons.

The code is there for those types of items. We orignally wanted to add armor spikes and such for armor. Counterbalances for weapons. All kinds of bits and pieces which, when used would add a perm or temp item effect.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 10:47:00 pm »
GhostWhoWalks - 8/29/2005  8:53 PM

We orignally wanted to add armor spikes and such for armor. Counterbalances for weapons. All kinds of bits and pieces which, when used would add a perm or temp item effect.

ooo!

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 11:52:00 pm »
There's a lot of stuff in the unique treasure loot table like that.

Items which add weight reduction. Regeneration. Skill bonuses. All kinds of stuff.

Not sure anyone's ever found any of it though.

I always thought having lower end crafted options for people to really 'customise' thier armor would be nice.

That's why originally all the armor was very plain. +1, +2 and +3.

Since we changed the armors, I don't think we would want to go back and add those things honestly.

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2005, 08:09:00 pm »
I would just be happy to see something added to the armor crafting skill that would allow for the reduction of weight in metal armor.
Perhaps it could be something for characters to persue once they get to a level where they are crafting iron.
Reducing iron armor by increments of 5 per cent per craft level, until they get to the point that they can craft mithril armors.
The downside to reducing iron based armor weight, is that you also decrease its effective durability. The lighter the armor the more damage gets through to the wearer.
This could also hold true for weapons with reduced weight, the amount of damage delivered could also be reduced.
Lighter blades have a tendency to shatter or snap at the hilt guard.

anything