The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: An idea; rare recipes  (Read 211 times)

trillex

• Followers of Katia
    • View Profile
An idea; rare recipes
« on: July 06, 2005, 01:33:00 am »
Hello all! I'm not totally gone yet and I do think of this server well knowing I will be back soon. But as I was falling asleep last night, a thought popped to my head. Not one of them weird thoughts that would require research but a simple one. Rare recipes.

Imagine traveling around in a long forgotten dungeon, finding a sudden chest in a mad gnome's library on the recipe of how to make some powerful ring that. Picking up this scroll, would mean that you could go back to your favorite and local jewelry maker bench and see that this recipe has been added to it. But only for him who got it! This could be done by checking the inventory upon clicking on it or just tagging the player somehow. Of course. Since its rare, the ingredients will be rare too and you wouldn't see many of them around.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thunder Pants

RE: An idea; rare recipes
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 01:38:00 am »
there are only a few problems with this

1: it would likely be a coding nightmare
2: aside from items that are really really hard to obtain (read diamonds, emeralds, cobolt) there really isn't a such a thing as a rare material, if it's obtainable, people will obtain it
3: whats to keep the person who found it from trading it to whomever he wants to allow them to try and make it as well

Nuzatch

• Followers of Aragen
    • Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 03:11:00 am »
Hmm.  Have the recipe be consumed in the process.  

"Through an ancient and now-lost art of creation and enchantment, mages used to write recipe scrolls directly before creating an item.  These recipe scrolls contained not only the directions on how the item would be put together, but the actual magical essence required for its' creation.  After assembling the physical makeup of the item, the scroll is read and cast upon the item, destroying the scroll, but enchanting the item in the process"

From a realism standpoint, the skill required for making this is in the actual physical construction of the item.  So if a person failed it would be because the item itself was assembled wrong/poorly.

As far as materials go, for something truly rare, I don't think it would be unfair to require an emerald or two, many diamonds and a lot of mithril.  In the recipes ask for things that aren't readily available.  Heck, create a very rare mushroom that only grows in the most vile and evil-ridden places and require it for the item.

"Plaguestool - A very rare mushroom said only to grow in areas of highly concentrated- and consequently highly powerful- undead activity.  It is said that death's very essence is to the Plaguestool what light is to a normal plant.  The mushroom carries a very bad stigma throughout the world, despite it seemingly to only exist in rumor and tall tale."

Granted it is extra CNR that woudl have to be created, but it would be very fun to have to assemble a large group just to go dungeon delving for one mushroom.  

Or for that matter, have it require rare, quest-only materials.  Actually finding a recipe like this could warrant a quest set aside specifically for it.

And now I'm rambling I think, but I really like this idea... I may expand even more later, but it's 5am here :P

Eight-Bit

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 05:32:00 am »
This was done in Beta Four, and kind of dissappered after a while. I don't really miss it. Items like this just become the social requirement of high level players, and because they'll be so good, it will become standard equipment.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 07:49:00 pm »
Social requirement? ...what does that mean?

Nuzatch

• Followers of Aragen
    • Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 08:41:00 pm »
Much like everyone wears emerald rings now.  Pretty much, if you're of the proper level, you have two emerald rings of whatever stat you use.  Much like with diamonds and amethysts.  Check any player of proper level, chances are, they'll have two amethyst, diamond, or emerald rings (Relative to which level they are) giving them a + to stats.

However, with the rare recipe idea, I was thinking that they'd be rare to the point of only one recipe surfacing once a week, or even less frequently, so that there aren't enough in circulation to be mass-produced (Like the + to stat rings are today) and thus a social requirement.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 11:27:00 pm »
Talan Va'lash - 7/7/2005  10:49 PM

Social requirement? ...what does that mean?

To have an item because everyone else has it, not because your character would have any need for it, or have any reason to want it.

Guardian 452

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 11:28:00 pm »
If the world offers rares, or exceptionals of anything.... soon exceptionals will be common place.

Try and get rid of normal Belt of Cunning or Gloves of Fury.... good luck.  Now announce that you have an Exceptional of them and I bet they sell in less than 10 minutes. I stopped counting how many Tells Enzo used to get out of the blue asking for Ex. Fury Gloves.

Thats the ultimate problem with a society that wants bigger, better, faster more. Just because you can now use it doesnt mean you will not live with out it.  I know people who "could" have used Emerald Jewlry and did just fine with out it for a RL year.

Some really neat ideas for making rare things have been brought up in the past... but they just simply wont fit into the bottle neck NWN gives us here.

Khromag had a real good one... where literaly EVERYTHING craftable has an Exceptional when you roll a 20. and we have a list of recipies that call for ONLY those Exceptional items.

Mega Spiffy Butterknife.

Exceptional ingots
Exceptional molds

etc.....

In order to do that the Layo team would basically have to double the amount of items in the chooser... and that isnt possible.

G-452

Zhofe

• Followers of Ilsare
    • Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 11:27:00 am »
I believe "rare" items like you are talking about would be best handled in a CDQ. Request a CDQ where you "find" an ancient recipie and have to collect "Obscure" ingredients to "craft" into the item. Even request a dice roll at the end to see if you actually make it. That way, there would only be one such item, but you still had to go through the crafting process to obtain it.

General_Ski

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 11:39:00 am »
    Heh make it an ECDQ and even then... Probably not . I don't think that it would be too much to presuppose that  distribution, if any of unique items is Leanthar's privilege, after all unique and unique items should not be given out lightly. And chances are very few of us if any will find out, if ever, as it should be.

Guardian 452

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 09:51:00 am »
    Ex gloves of fury for sale a whole 6 minutes.... This is what I meant earlier.

http://layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15971&posts=2

Frendh

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 04:15:00 am »
    Zhofe - 7/8/2005  8:27 PM

I believe "rare" items like you are talking about would be best handled in a CDQ. Request a CDQ where you "find" an ancient recipie and have to collect "Obscure" ingredients to "craft" into the item. Even request a dice roll at the end to see if you actually make it. That way, there would only be one such item, but you still had to go through the crafting process to obtain it.

I don't like the idea of handing out rare items in cdqs to
    a larger extent than they are now.

Right now I don't do cdqs, since I believe there are plenty
    of quests I can join should I want to quest. The time I take
    from a gm when requesting cdqs is better spent on several
    players in a regular quest than just my one character.

But should item rewards become more common in cdqs than they
    are now, my greed or wish to get what "everyone" else is getting
    make me request my full cdq quota on a regular basis.

Thunder Pants

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 05:23:00 am »
    Guardian 452 - 7/26/2005  9:51 AM

Ex gloves of fury for sale a whole 6 minutes.... This is what I meant earlier.

http://layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15971&posts=2

the gloves of fury in that post took 8 minutes to be sold, sooooo your wrong G hehehe

Guardian 452

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 08:48:00 am »
    So I can't count... they still fell within the "under 10 minutes" from my inital post.

;)

G-452

anything