The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Various questions  (Read 296 times)

Faerie

• Followers of Aragen
    • View Profile
Various questions
« on: December 30, 2005, 01:04:00 pm »
I wasn't too sure where to post exactly, but since it regards CNR, I figured here might be a good spot. I've played a long time ago, but perhaps it's age, there is a lot I don't remember, so here goes my questions :

- Is there some crafts that certain players cannot progress in, if for example the tools of the trade are considered martial or exotic? If so, which ones?

- Is musical instrument crafting sorely reserved to bards, or can anyone craft some?

- Is poison making sorely reserved to some classes, and can anyone apply poison to their weapons? (That skill didn't exist when I played back then, so I don't know how this one works at all)

- I noticed there are spells components required for some spells, if I recall the temple of Ilsare vendor I consulted for the little 5 mins I was online today before the net crashed. Are components craftable, or only vendor-bought?

- Is it possible, through the crafting of let's say, paper, to create ingame books, journals and the like?

Many thanks :D

Dorganath

RE: Various questions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 01:19:00 pm »
- Is there some crafts that certain players cannot progress in, if for example the tools of the trade are considered martial or exotic? If so, which ones?
 Pretty much anyone can advance in any craft (excepted below) however, one cannot gather wood or mine ores without the proper weapon proficiencies for a hand axe and a large pick, respectively.

- Is musical instrument crafting sorely reserved to bards, or can anyone craft some?

Restricted to Bards only.

- Is poison making sorely reserved to some classes, and can anyone apply poison to their weapons? (That skill didn't exist when I played back then, so I don't know how this one works at all)
 I don't think poison making is restricted...doesn't seem to be, though poison application is another matter.

- I noticed there are spells components required for some spells, if I recall the temple of Ilsare vendor I consulted for the little 5 mins I was online today before the net crashed. Are components craftable, or only vendor-bought?
 Yes...some can be gathered, some can be made, some can be bought.

- Is it possible, through the crafting of let's say, paper, to create ingame books, journals and the like? Many thanks :D

There's a separate system for that :)

Olme

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 01:26:00 pm »
You cannot craft poison if you are of 'good' alignment.

Guardian 452

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 02:17:00 pm »
Olme - 12/30/2005  3:26 PM

My Rogue is CG and he crafts poison. (Danny Downfelder level 6 poison craft)

His UMD allows him to do it... as would a Bard of any alignment.

G-452

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 08:39:00 pm »
Guardian 452 - 12/30/2005  5:17 PM

Olme - 12/30/2005  3:26 PM

My Rogue is CG and he crafts poison. (Danny Downfelder level 6 poison craft)

His UMD allows him to do it... as would a Bard of any alignment.

G-452

What? Oh, blast... Then why can't Pyyran? CG Rogue, at least ten ranks in UMD...

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 09:21:00 pm »
The poison crafting tool is limited to non-good.  However UMD can get around this (whether desirable or not... *shrugs*)

The smith's hammer (for armor and weapon crafting) requires the martial proficiency I think, as do mining picks and woodcutters axes (as mentioned above.)  Characters without the martial feat cannot harvest wood, ore, or coal.  Barring rangers and druids who have a special system for getting wood.

Several magically oriented crafts require spells to be cast as part of the crafting process.  Obviously non-casters will be unable to do these crafts.  Also, wizards will be unable to craft things requiring divine spells etc. etc.

There are a small number of recipes that require a certain class or race to make, but ignoring instrument crafting those are only a few recipes within a craft, all the other recipes will be available.  (there are ranger only bows that can only be made by rangers, dwarven waraxes can only be made by dwarves, and a few others.)

so yeah, a pure fighter wont be able to scribe spell scrolls heh and a pure wizard wont be able to enchant healing potions (though he could use alchemy to make similar products.)

Anyone can apply poison, though a spanking would be in order for any paladins or whatever that would use it.  But using poison is a dex check to see if you succeed.  I think its a bit too high personally, but I'm not going to complain about it here sicne I haven't brought it up.  One of my characters has a dex modifier of 11 and seems to fail to apply dire spider poison about half the time (dire spider poison is one of the middle poisons as far as crafting level goes.)

so, anyone can do it, but the high dex checks limit it to high dex chars, rogues, dex fighters, archers and so on.

-TV

steverimmer

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 12:45:00 am »

The poison system also requires that you have the 'simple weapons feat' which prevents Druids from using it which in my opinion it shouldn't. :(

Gulnyr

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 04:48:00 am »
Talan Va'lash - 12/31/2005  12:21 AM

Characters without the martial feat cannot harvest wood

Actually, Monks can use the Woodcutter's Axe.  No Martial Weapons Proficiency required.  *shrugs*

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 04:11:00 pm »
Gulnyr - 12/31/2005  5:48 AM

Talan Va'lash - 12/31/2005  12:21 AM

Characters without the martial feat cannot harvest wood

Actually, Monks can use the Woodcutter's Axe.  No Martial Weapons Proficiency required.  *shrugs*

er, right.  Handaxe is simple profiency.  I think.

-TV

SquareKnot

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 11:20:00 pm »
Actually, the woodcutter's axe is Martial or Monk.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 04:16:00 am »
SquareKnot - 1/1/2006  12:20 AM

Actually, the woodcutter's axe is Martial or Monk.

Bah, I thought I was right the first time :P

-TV

Rayenoir

• Followers of Rofirein
    • Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 07:35:00 am »
I think it's also listed in the Rogue weapon proficiency.  It just doesn't say so on the handaxe itself.

Stranzini

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 05:03:00 pm »
Sen is a rogue and bard - he can use an axe, I am pretty sure all rogues are able to use an axe

Sen is CG and he cant craft poison - the statement that characters of good alignment cannot craft poison is true, but I dont know what UMD stands for so I dont know what the exception might be.

Acacea

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 05:27:00 pm »
Stranzini - 1/6/2006  5:03 PM
but I dont know what UMD stands for so I dont know what the exception might be.

Use Magic Device.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 10:03:00 pm »
Well, Pyyran can use the thing now... Guess it just requires a certain number of ranks in Use Magic Device.

In his case, he has a +10 modifier, from 8 ranks and +2 CHA. For a CG, I guess that's enough to emulate TC or TN. Been a while since I've brushed up on my UMD DCs.

I wonder if there's a way to UMD your way past Level Requirements...

anything