The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: campfire length increase  (Read 369 times)

Pen N Popper

campfire length increase
« on: March 24, 2006, 05:14:19 am »
I enjoy the RP opportunities that campfires provide, but the length of four minutes is a bit short.  Perhaps an increase in duration?  Another alternative would be to allow wood to be burned.  Or make tinder stackable.  (A stack of 10 tinder, when dropped and lit, would burn for 40 minutes.)

Leanthar

Re: campfire length increase
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 07:19:01 am »
I have no problem with this. I made it short so that we did not have campfires anywhere and everywhere all of the time. I have no problem increasing it to about 15 minutes since nobody is abusing htem.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 02:02:41 pm »
I'd suggest lowering their hardness and hp so that pretty much any character has the option of "putting them out" by bashing them (a wizard would have trouble as it is now, and... putting a fire out with a magic missle doesn't make that much sense hehe)  oh, or add a *put out the fire* option to the convo.

It would also be great if the convo could be edited so the options are *Sit by the fire and relax* (** added) makes no sense to be saying this outloud.  The same for forage for food/water/wood and entertain the party.

Pen N Popper

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 07:38:01 am »
Thanks for lengthening the fire duration to 15 minutes.  Allows for a nice period of RP.

Laldiien

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 08:27:50 am »
Indeed. I actually enjoy setting a camp, and sitting in a few places. Would there be any way to create an "Extinguish Fire" option? My elven mage has a terrible time bashing the fire out, and putting it out by Fireball seems, well, you can see how that would look. Wasteful from an RP point, and I have to be careful not crisp any wanderers or nearby structures.

Stranzini

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 05:27:25 am »
Putting out a campfire ought to involve one "full bucket of water"...

And we do have them in game...although people probably dont carry them around full.

especially if they could be filled at a lake or other water source (I havent tried to see if they can or not)

Come to think of it...sand would work too.

crazedgoblin

RE: campfire length increase
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 03:30:57 pm »
or goblins?

Laldiien

RE: campfire length increase
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 06:25:59 am »
Well, I suppose we could try putting goblins on a fire to put it out, but the smell would not be pleasing and the goblins would be annoyed.

darkstorme

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 05:47:26 pm »
Taking a different tack, it would make sense to me that a fire ought to extend a radius of "safer sleep".  It would only take a small edit to the sleep script - and then you could cut the damage incurred by sleeping away from a safe area in half.  It makes sense to me that if you sleep by a fire, the lack damage incurred from cold, decreased risk from wild animals, and generally better quality of sleep would allow you greater recovery than just sleeping out in the open.  It needn't be a "portable safe area".

Pen N Popper

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 07:30:52 pm »
The RPers can already double their healing at campfires.  You see, they build a fire, rest, chit chat for 10 minutes, rest again, extinguish fire, and move on.  That seems like a fine use of the extended fire time and requires no further scripting.  My two cents.

darkstorme

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 12:43:05 am »
A good point.  I withdraw my suggestion.

anything