The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Clerics and their holy symbols  (Read 250 times)

Clerics and their holy symbols
« on: November 08, 2005, 09:01:00 am »
Wanted for my character to craft their own holy symbol.
Upon aquiring some finely cut feldspars, went through two feldspars before the third was successfully infused.
Disappointment.
One would figure that by infusion, the term would be implied that infusing a stone before placing it in amulet, in the case of protection vs alignement, would enable a cleric to craft their own holy symbol. Only to find that, by infusing a gemstone is a one shot deal.
Another thing about infusing a gemstone, even if not to make a holy symbol. That such an amulet could work upon others when activated by the person that wears it. However seems that such a device is only useable by those that have access to arcane or divine magic already.
Would think a cleric would be able to craft such items for specific use for a specific person.
Would not be something that could be produced for general market like everything else that is CNR.

Faith specific weapons.
Placing a spell other than combat related enchantments upon a weapon. Such as blessing, protection from alignment, smite alignment, or what have you.(only when wielded of course)
Always thought that if a paladin wanted to find a holy defender, they either went on a long and risky quest to have one given to them by their chosen deity, or they went to their temple and asked the clerics to make a paladin a weapon specific to their preference to combat against foes of their faith. Either way, the journey required specific components that were rare or very rare.

Wintersheart

• View Profile
    RE: Clerics and their holy symbols
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 09:36:00 am »
    Erm not quite sure what your question is, but divine casters able to cast 7th level spells can turn amulets into their own holy symbol.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 02:09:00 pm »
    My question had to do with making of talismans(or amulets) specific to a person not a class. Also, of making items, such as weapon have the same affects of a specific divine spell within that item.
    Eg. Shield with aura of protection versus alignment
        Hammer that strikes with similar affect as hammer of the gods or call lightning or fire strike.
        Holy symbol that has the affects of bless or protection versus alignment infused upon it.

Thought that with going through all the trouble of infusing a fine feldspar with protection versus alignment, could put the infuse gem in to an amulet, made with an ingot that was similarly infused. A character could give it to an intended individual. Such an amulet would work for that person and that person alone. It would not be an open marketable item.
    This was why the example of the paladins specific weapon of choice and/or specialization.
    After making the infused gem, found that it was a one shot deal. Had I known that before hand, would have persued the making of a scroll.

Filatus

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 06:09:00 pm »

O_o Do you know how overpowered those weapons you just listed are? I think you should take a good look at the items available in Layo. If Daeron would be walking around with a hammer that casts hammer of the gods on hit, he'd be seriously considering giving up on magic completely and just hit bad people with the hammer.

And you can't make items specific to a person. You can limit their use by alignments, classes and race, nothing more. Now, if you had a chaotic neutral gnome monk... well, it would probably be the only CN-G-M  in the game. But really, you'd have to put the weapon in the database so one person can use it. That's crazy.

From what I understood, you want to be able to craft items for clerics and paladins, which when equiped, give a permanent spelleffect. Just way to powerful, a paladin walking with a shield that gives him protection versus evil would have his mind protected from spells and abilities from 90% of Layo's red highlighted population.

By the way, I think you're taking a wrong approach at crafting. Before you start infusing gems to create an amulet you want, you might want to check whether the amulet you're aiming for actually exists in the craftmenu. Just look around for an item with a name that catches your interest and look at the components. Start gathering those components... and try to craft it.

Harloff

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 12:18:00 am »
    I WANT  THAT HAMMER! HA HA HAH! and a bow that shoots fire arrows. *Grins*

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 03:23:00 pm »
    Not like I was asking for +5 Vorpal or Ssword of Sharpness, or anything of that magnitude.
    Though it would be cool to be able to craft +1 Flame Tongue or Mace of Disruption :P

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 05:53:00 pm »
    Komoda - 11/14/2005  4:23 PM

Not like I was asking for +5 Vorpal or Ssword of Sharpness, or anything of that magnitude.
    Though it would be cool to be able to craft +1 Flame Tongue or Mace of Disruption :P

I'd take the hammer that casts hammer of the gods on hit over the +5 vorpal anyday.  Thats how many d6 dmg per hit?

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 01:12:00 am »
    Don't think a shield with Protection vs Evil, or even Bless would be that much overpowered, Paladins get their spells starting at level 6, which last for a little time by then, but when they would be able to use that shield, they'd be probably able to cast Magic Circle vs Align, anyway.

Of course, this should obviously be restricted to Paladins, maybe Clerics aswell.

Harloff

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 01:22:00 am »
    I think bless i okay, but protection versus evil is a bit much, besides that i don't think clerics should be given more gadgets they are powerfull enough as it is.

Dorganath

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 05:49:00 am »
    Komoda - 11/14/2005 5:23 PM Not like I was asking for +5 Vorpal or Ssword of Sharpness, or anything of that magnitude. Though it would be cool to be able to craft +1 Flame Tongue or Mace of Disruption :P

You can get darned close to a +1 Flame Tongue by putting a Fire Enhancement III rod onto an iron sword/scimitar/etc....so in a sense, it's craftable.
      A craftable Mace of Disruption would be pretty unbalanced in Layo, most likely.  Given the potential power of those things, they're better off as quest rewards or unique drops.

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 02:33:00 pm »
    Now that I think about it. It makes sense for a cleric or paladin to have a weapon, armor or shield blessed at their temple(cleric) or blessed by a cleric of the aligned deity(paladin). Though, myself I would limit it to just one item worn or wielded by the character.
    A blessing does offer some protection, though not as much as protection vs alignment. Still, I can see how the latter casting may upset the balance of the game.
    My thought on holy symbols, is that they should be able to do more than just a casting component or a component for turning. A holy symbol is an integral part of being a cleric or paladin.
    Is it possible to have a holy symbol have the same capacity as a ring of divinity, or the capacity of a necklace of prayer beads?
    In advace DnD, one of the interesting things I found, was a holy symbol dipped in tainted water had the capacity to purify water.
    Just a few ideas for a holy symbol other than just necklace around the characters neck.

anything