The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: CNR idea.......  (Read 102 times)

kaiser ravenloft

• View Profile
    CNR idea.......
    « on: February 24, 2006, 03:08:14 pm »
    First I would like to say that I am a new player to Layonara and having a woderful time playing,(my character is Prothro), and enjoy the attention to realism the creators and players have added to this world. The one area I feel is the only downside is in the CNR field. I'll start by advising that before playing I scoured the Forum page for about two weeks reading almost every post and the player handbook,(it helped greatly by the way),and came upon many issues of topics related to economy and suggestions on crafting.I read many great posts and suggestions on change,(in particular one by Milton Yorkcastle),and thought to give my ideas on some possible solutions. I start by saying that I know absolutely nothing about the game specific computer programs, or computers much in general. Now, my first idea would be to alter CNR by class of character,ie; certain classes would have a natural advantage over others in starting a proffession by becoming an adventurer....such as a young fighter would have a basic understanding of weapon and armor creation and such. I also feel certain races would also have an edge on CNR...say like Humannoid orcs or goblins being leather makers, or gnomes and dwarf jewelry makers.I feel that at character creation the approving DM's would decide on which CNR or possibly multiple, the character would have the instincts to start...and limiting that character to those only! Now in saying this I feel that two important issues should be explained...the first if additional CNR skills are desired other than the ones granted they can be approved by lengthy character dev, and the second it would greatly improve the need to make alliances and sell goods to others.Now the second idea,(which may unleash fury), is that I feel is that it would be nearly impossible for epic or extreme high levels to have excelent CNR ability....I say this requiring you to think about your real life job and other great figures....would it really be possible to pursue a life of training in a field, with ever increasing specialization, and also hold three other titles in the same way...No.In my opinion this would be like playing golf like Tiger Woods, rocking like Led Zepplin, and painting like Norman Rockwell along with being the best at your profession,(which by the way is how you really make your living).In closing I really don't know how that could be solved "in game", nor did I wish to post such a long topic. Any and all feed back is greatly welcomed.

Nyralotep

Re: CNR idea.......
    « Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 03:23:30 pm »
    Character classes already do get bonuses to crafting.  Armor crafting and Weapon crafting rely on strength and dexterity, attributes of most fighters.  Infusing, scribing, alchemy rely on Wisdom and intelligence, attributes of Clerics and Mages and so on.

As for realism with Epics, well even a fighter would not be a good weapon/armor crafter, etc.  If you think about it those fields all require dedication exclusively in them to be very good in them.  A legendary weapon maker is not necessarily one who goes out and bashes monsters continously when they would be better off doing their craft.

Some people are here simply because they love crafting.  The Hammer of Dorand is one of them.  Dorand delights in all creations, not just one or two.

kaiser ravenloft

• View Profile
      Re: CNR idea.......
      « Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 06:24:20 pm »
      Yes that was what I meant....but not sure if it is game feasible, a great weapons maker probably would not be an epic fighter and vice versa, just simply due to the time it takes in two very different fields...and you bring up a good point I missed with the attributes to stats already in place for classes gearing them to CNR specialties.Again I guess most of what I was thinking is not game realistic.Thanks for the comment

anything