The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: CNR in NWN2 - thoughts  (Read 149 times)

Yosemite Sam

• View Profile
    CNR in NWN2 - thoughts
    « on: July 02, 2006, 10:30:05 am »
    Let me start out with saying I appreciate the work the Dev team has done in Layonara.  I have taken one of my characters to high levels in many crafts.  I appreciate the system we have, and its limitations. I noted some of the changes after my year away from layo.  I never complained about the amounts being limited. Though it is annoying, it IS realistic.  :D

The year I was gone, I spent playing WoW, and took at least one toon to the end almost every craft line.  In layo, most people can try most crafts.  In WoW, each player can have two primary crafts, of which there are 9? (its been awhile). In WoW, you never fail at making an item, and always know how many things you need to make to reach the next level, breakpoint actually.  The method used there would NOT work in layo. You see, while you will always succeed, you are not guaranteed to GET the things you need to create those really neat recipes.  They drop randomly off from spawns.  You can always auction things off, but this in in a community of 40-60 thousand players.

But what I think WoW does do better than layo is at the placement of crafting resources. The things needed for low level crafting, can be found as spawns or drops in low level areas.  This progression follows through the game.  Layo has some CNR materials in which the placement makes absolutely no sense to me. One prime example comes from tailoring. Crag cat pelts are not as valuable as lion, and the things made from them are not as powerful.  But crag cats are found in areas far less accesible than lions are.  And I do remember how hard a time I had convince people that hazelnuts did not exist in the world. I believe Pankoki was with me on this effort.  When it was finally placed, it was deep in the dragon isles. At the time, the only use for it was to make bark skin potions, not something people higly desired.

I bring this up because I do love Layo, its why I came back and want to make it better.  Like G452, I have children and am spending more time with them.  Thats one reason why Mikey will never craft as much as Perago did. I would be willing to work with the Dev team on trying to find a logical and consistent way to place all of the CNR spawns in the NWN2 version.  

I hope I have not offended anyone with what I think are the small criticisms here, but understand I seek only to try to make things even better.

Leanthar

Re: CNR in NWN2 - thoughts
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 11:31:19 am »
    We have tried multiple times to balance the placements. One of the reasons the farm system is coming (one of them mind you) is so that farm things are not in the wild and all out of whack in placements. The other reason it is really difficult is that the world changes, path changes, creatures change and move--all sorts of things. That does not happen in other MMO's...they are placed and nothing changes, they do on Layonara. But yes, I agree we need to get the placement correct....just letting you know it is not as easy as a one time placement because of everything changing week to week.