The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Gloves of Archery  (Read 308 times)

aragwen

Gloves of Archery
« on: October 15, 2005, 01:01:00 am »
Here is another that I was thinking of......*mumbles* I should get something to do and stop thinking......but alas here goes. But this one I came up with after a discussion where it was mentioned that +2 melee weapons are much better than +2 range weapons and being an archer myself I would also like to get better equipment.. I am just throwing numbers around, so no idea if this is balanced or to powerful.
  • 2 Jaguar Leathers (or perhaps dire boar to make it more difficult)
  • 2 Essences of Grace (dex is the basis of good archery)
  • 2 Essences of Sight (for better aim or attack)
  • 2 Essences of Power (for added damage)
  • 1 cloth pattern
  • 1 spool of thread
 Properties: +2 Attack, +2 Damage
  Comments?

Ar7

RE: Gloves of Archery
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 02:21:00 am »
That is too powerful, since your initial statement that the +2 melee weapon is better than a +2 ranged weapon is wrong. They are equal, you just need to add a mighty cam to the ranged weapon. Now if such gloves were indeed implemented, then an archer would have essencially a +4 weapon, if he had such gloves and a mahogany longbow with a mighty cam.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 02:28:00 am »
It is not possible to implement anything like this in NWN.

Anything that goes on your hands, if given an attack or damage bonus will only apply to unarmed strikes.

But, yeah, this wouldn't even be desirable if we could do it because of the way DR is handled in NWN.  If it only gave you a cumulative attack bonus not considered for DR, it would be... considerable.  However, as I stated previously this isnt possible in NWN.  I'm pretty sure you couldn't even script an item to work like this, barring just putting weapon focus and specialization on the gloves, which I'm not sure are options.

I've seen items like this in PnP (2 ED) but thats a totally different mechanic.  And even a LOT of the NWN mechanics is different than 3 ED PnP.

-TV

aragwen

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 04:22:00 am »
ok....thanks for the comments.
  I thought it might be to powerful.  Still trying to get my head around some things.
  What would be the best place to learn about the dynamics of these things?
  The rulebooks?

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 02:30:00 am »
aragwen - 10/15/2005  5:22 AM    ok....thanks for the comments.
  I thought it might be to powerful.  Still trying to get my head around some things.
  What would be the best place to learn about the dynamics of these things?
  The rulebooks?
 To learn whats possible, open up the toolset and look at all the crazy stuff you can put on different types of items... You'll also notice the things that its crazy you cant put on.  To get a feeling for the game balance... This kinda just has to be learned through play.  Crunch some numbers in your head.  You'll notice some interesting things.  Get good at calculating probabilities :)  -TV  Edit:  The D&D books don't really talk about balance.  Well, they mention its importance but they dont say how to do it.  There are SO many ways to balance a game and so many different levels to balance it at.  An Uber high magic game isnt an unbalanced game its just balanced differently (or it could be unbalanced... but my point was that the level of the balance is independant of whether its balanced or not. heh)