The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Raise dead scrolls  (Read 163 times)

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
Raise dead scrolls
« on: May 19, 2006, 10:10:21 am »
I have been working my way up in scribing and I was looking at what it takes to make a raise dead scroll and I was surprised at what I found.  Raise dead is a 5th level spell for clerics and 5th level innate but it scribes as a 6th level and requires diamond dust and a cut diamond.  Is there a reason for this or is it an oversight?  Other 5th level scrolls just require a lower dust.  Thanks.

Boxcar

RE: Raise dead scrolls
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 10:28:16 am »
It's my understanding that these scrolls can be used by anyone instead of only clerics. If that is true, then the higher component requirements make sense. You could look at it this way: It takes more effort and care (and components) to make the raise dead scrolls useable by anyone whereas other scrolls that can be used by only clerics don't need as much attention since the user is already familiar with the spell.

Lalaith Va'lash

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 10:32:11 am »
*nods* What Boxcar says is true.
  These are valuable little scrolls in the hands of any body - so when your only cleric falls, they can certainly change the tides of battle.

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
Re: Raise dead scrolls
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 04:08:30 pm »
Is it possible to make a version of the scroll that only clerics could use that would scribe as a fifth level scroll and only require normal components.  It would be nice as a cleric to have a few in the inventory so you would not have to keep spell slots occupied or rest before raising someone.  If its not possible to differentiate then it's ok.  It makes sense if it has the benefit of being used by anyone that it would cost more.  Thanks.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 10:36:49 pm »
It is possible but it probably won't happen.  Even with a class restriction its still usable by characters with high enough UMD.

Raise dead scrolls and ressurection scrolls are harder to make than others of the same level.  This is deliberate.

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 01:29:25 am »
Ah.. I had not considered the UMD capability.  I understand now.  Thanks.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 09:09:34 am »
Wait, so those are usable by anyone, regardless of UMD or not?

Sweet! I'm gonna go stock up.

Lalaith Va'lash

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 09:37:20 am »
Boxcar - 5/19/2006 1:28 PM these scrolls can be used by anyone instead of only clerics.
 Yes.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 09:48:24 am »
Stephen_Zuckerman - 5/20/2006  10:09 AM

Wait, so those are usable by anyone, regardless of UMD or not?

Sweet! I'm gonna go stock up.

heh, get mining some diamonds!

anything