The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Sandpaper  (Read 454 times)

PsychicToaster

• Followers of Lucinda
    • Followers of Mist
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
Sandpaper
« on: April 09, 2006, 11:30:15 am »
Why is sandpaper so much harder to make than blacksmithing molds?  From what I grasp, they serve roughly the same function of requiring a cross-tradeskill process (Tinkering in order to Blacksmith, Cooking in order to Woodcraft), but sandpaper has so many chances at failure compared to the tinkering equivalent.

I suggest changing it so that the sandpaper recipe is used in the Farmer's Press:

2 bags of whatever sawdust
1 bucket of water
2 bits of sand

Harloff

Re: Sandpaper
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 12:24:39 pm »
Considering that wood crafting has the best resourse to exp ration, (or resource to finished product ratio) I really cannot see the problem. To make a yem meelee weapon you need to pieces of wood and a few small bits and pieces, in comparison the highest level item in weapon crafting that you can make from 2 pieces of resource is an iron dagger.

The only problem a wood crafter has to face in order to become high level is to become proffecient in food crafting, and using saw dusts to create sand paper is by far the most efficient way to become a high level food crafter. In comparison a weapon crafter has to become profficient in: wood, food, smelting and weapon. Thus comparing wood crafting with weapon crafting reveals that the wood crafters have a much easier life than the blacksmith. So as i stated before i really cannot see the problem.

Leanthar

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 02:05:12 pm »
Yep, pretty much that is the reason. Its a balancing thing and wood crafting is still too easy on many levels but there is only so much we can do at certain times.

crazedgoblin

RE: Sandpaper
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 03:29:43 pm »
sandpaper is EVIL!

PsychicToaster

• Followers of Lucinda
    • Followers of Mist
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 05:15:01 pm »
Wood weapons are generally inferior to metal though, with the exception of longbows in the hands of a properly set up archer.  Otherwise metal weapons generally have higher dice damage, or larger crit ranges/multipliers.

twidget658

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 05:32:49 pm »
Harloff, you are limiting the woodcrafting skill to JUST simple bows. Throw in bowstrings and you need tailoring. Bow parts are smelting, tinkering and alchemy. Cams are smelting and tinkering. So just a simple bow is easy. That will only get you so far. The better bows are a lot more work.

And then their is fletching. Arrows are tinkering and smelting.

The point is, in every craft, you have to start somewhere and grow. It takes time and it should not be easy.

PsychicToaster

• Followers of Lucinda
    • Followers of Mist
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 05:45:07 pm »
All I'm saying is that by easing up on sandpaper you ease up on its use as a tertiary skill for other crafts.  Its not the hardest part of woodcrafting by far.  But it is actually harder than the infusing part of making a wand right now.  :P

muaddib

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 06:25:18 pm »
Sandpaper is alittle annoying in the begining but once you get a few lvls in food crafting its easy

Harloff

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 09:20:52 am »
twidget658 - 4/23/2006  2:32 AM

Harloff, you are limiting the woodcrafting skill to JUST simple bows. Throw in bowstrings and you need tailoring. Bow parts are smelting, tinkering and alchemy. Cams are smelting and tinkering. So just a simple bow is easy. That will only get you so far. The better bows are a lot more work.

And then their is fletching. Arrows are tinkering and smelting.

The point is, in every craft, you have to start somewhere and grow. It takes time and it should not be easy.

No, you never need to be a good tailor in order to be a a wood crafter, most people will craft bowstrings at 6 or 7 level of tailoring... Similarly i did not mention that the weapon crafter needs to be able to tinker for the same reason, I mentioned the high level crafts that you will be dependent on...

I fail to see your point about the bow parts... Simply because the bow parts that you use in wood crafting only need a high level tinker not someone proffecient in alchemy. The migthy bow parts can be applied by anybody not just woodcrafters and they a certainly not neccesary in order to make a bow.

However, I did forget tinkering and smelting, but that does not change the fact that you can easily become a high level wood crafter focusing only on bows a melee weapons. with a very limeted amount of resources needed.

twidget658

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 02:53:32 pm »
“No, you never need to be a good tailor in order to be a wood crafter, most people will craft bowstrings at 6 or 7 level of tailoring...”

Just level 6 or 7…that takes time and you still have a lot of failures to get to that 6 or 7. Same with alchemy.

“Similarly i did not mention that the weapon crafter needs to be able to tinker for the same reason, I mentioned the high level crafts that you will be dependent on...”

I am a level 16 tinkerer because of arrowheads, not molds. Try to craft silver arrowheads at level 10.

“I fail to see your point about the bow parts... Simply because the bow parts that you use in wood crafting only need a high level tinker”

You contradict yourself above. Now you realize that high levels in tinkering is required. Iron and Platinum is used for bow parts. Try smelting them at level 10 smelting. Silver arrowheads are another that requires high smelting and tinkering. I am not just speaking of molds.

“The mighty bow parts can be applied by anybody not just woodcrafters and they a certainly not necessary in order to make a bow.”

Irrelevant! All crafts can be done this way.

“However, I did forget tinkering and smelting, but that does not change the fact that you can easily become a high level woodcrafter focusing only on bows a melee weapons with a very limited amount of resources needed.”

You make levels and experience JUST by making daggers and see how far you get. A plain bow is such a small portion of woodworking.

Some of the other bows require scrolls. So now, let’s throw scribing into the mix.

Any craft starting out is frustrating. I know, I have experience in every craft with the exception of the ones I can't because of class.

It does take some time to develop the skill enough to get it consistent. To say that one craft is harder than the other is all relative.

I think that they all are pretty much evened out. Yes, sandpaper is very frustrating at first. With everything else, it takes persistence.

Harloff

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 01:02:03 am »
"You make levels and experience JUST by making daggers and see how far you get. A plain bow is such a small portion of woodworking."

Correct but you need loads and loads oof metals especially when you get past iron, and iron dagger become trivial aroun level 12 (i think)

"You contradict yourself above. Now you realize that high levels in tinkering is required. Iron and Platinum is used for bow parts. Try smelting them at level 10 smelting. Silver arrowheads are another that requires high smelting and tinkering. I am not just speaking of molds. "

My comment was about alchemy.... you said you needed alchemy and i said you don't which is still correct.

"It does take some time to develop the skill enough to get it consistent. To say that one craft is harder than the other is all relative. "

Hmmm.... Then I will like to ask you this. Why do you have to be a level 19 wood crafter just to be in the "top 15" of wood crafter wereas you only need to be level 14 to be on the weapon crafter "top 15"?

Besides when I am talking about wood crafting versus weapon crafting I am actually talking out of exsperience, I am level 14 wood crafter and level 15 weapon crafter. And it was way easier to get to level 14 in wood crafting than it was to get to level 14 in weapon. And tinkering well I think I am the tinker with most exsperience on the server right now, and leveling in tinkering by making arrowheads is now the easiest way, you even get all the metal back if you fail, and that is the only craft on the server that gives you that as far as i know.

Flectching you keep mentioning... well that is yet another easy task for the wood crafter 1 piece of wood, 1 feather, 1 lump of clay, 1 metal ingot, of these items only to of them are relatively hard to get to. And you an actually get exp. twice in the process that is a walk in the park. Actually making arrow shafts from which you get exp. just take 1 loosy resource it simply doesn't come easier than that.

twidget658

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 02:56:36 am »
*gets tired of typing and concedes*

Harloff

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 05:38:18 am »
*raises his hand in victory and shouts*

"I am the greatest, Muhammad Ali was a sizzy compared to me!!!! HAH HA HAH!!!!!"

* A van stops outside the house, two men in white jump out of the car and runs into the house. After a short fight they strap Harloff in straitjacket and drag him away...*