The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Suggestion: Lower fish DR from 5/-  (Read 603 times)

Pen N Popper

Suggestion: Lower fish DR from 5/-
« on: July 03, 2006, 09:04:48 am »
Fish are difficult to damage with a shortbow and fishing arrows with the current DR of 5/-.
  Perhaps make fish only damageable by fishing arrows (like ore is with pickaxe) and lower DR?

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Suggestion: Lower fish DR from 5/-
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 09:20:43 am »
They're already only damageable by fishing arrows, but... I second the idea to lower the DR by a point or so. A shortbow, being a bit nimbler and having a shorter draw, would be a little easier to use to fish with, anyhow.

Rayenoir

• Followers of Rofirein
    • Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 10:02:44 am »
Could always use a fishing rod.  *g*

ZeroVega

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 10:03:37 am »
I still haven't figured out how to use fishing rods yet... the lines, the lures, the rod its self... it's too much for me.  :)

Hellblazer

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 11:26:21 pm »
it is quite easy actualy euqip rod then use special properties of the wire and select the rod (keep inventory open while doing all of the steps)then us the special properties of the worms (worms are best than lure in hlints pound from my experience) and select the fishing rod. The use the rotary dial on a shool of fish and select use, that is it!

and if its a rp thing just ask someone who meditate often under the willow tree he will gladly shoe you how to use it.

darkstorme

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 07:46:15 am »
*laughs*  It's hard to imagine fishing with a longbow.  You see an English archer, six-foot bow in hand, staring down into the water, muscles straining as he works the two-hundred pound draw, the cam on his bow creaking under the tension.... *twang* "'Sblood, I missed!"

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 09:26:48 am »
I'd have to say that the english six-foot bows (YEW!) were Fullbows, if the term exists. *He chuckles.* I dunno... Shortsword, longsword, fullblade... Maybe Greatbow. 1d10 damage.

lonnarin

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 10:11:31 am »
Use the fishing pole, Bjorn swears by it.  When you arch, you just get the slower and sickly fish, but when you use bait, you get the fattest ones that like to eat the most.  Also, you get about double fishing xp with the pole than you do with the bow.  Teaches ye patience lad!  Now if you have rapid shot and are a marksman god, the bow might be a little faster.  If you're a wizerd, cleric, dwarf or some other clunky character, you'll find the bow slower than the pole.  Now you just have to start keeping a tacklebox full of copper and fly lures, grubs and worms... ;)

Honestly though, the worms and grubs are interchangeable... no difference to the fish if its noodle or tastey morsel.  We should save worms for the fish and make grubs edible for druids.

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 10:54:52 am »
There are two patches of soild where you can find grubs or worms just beside the pound so the only thing you need to keep on you is your shovel and fishing pole of course

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 11:12:23 am »
Dude, you get double XP for the pole?

I'm switching.

SuperMunch

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 11:34:40 am »
I had a very bad experience fishing with the pole once.

Freldo had saved up and bought all the gear and was about to sit down and fish but first he needed a worm.

Bought the shovel (expensive at the time, when you're low leveled, everything is expensive) and went to dig.

On the second sound bite, the shovel broke and no worm.

Never again.  :)

Hellblazer

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 11:36:13 am »
We should be able to ue our hands or even teeth =P to dig out ine soil for worms  :)

Faldred

RE: Suggestion: Lower fish DR from 5/-
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 11:46:38 am »
Pen N Popper - 7/3/2006  12:04 PM    
  Fish are difficult to damage with a shortbow and fishing arrows with the current DR of 5/-.
  Perhaps make fish only damageable by fishing arrows (like ore is with pickaxe) and lower DR?
 Like bow fishing is supposed to be easy?  ;)  It's nearly impossible to "miss" a fish with a bow, and even a shortbow has a 1 in 6 chance of overcoming DR on a "hit" (not including critical hits), so say at worst a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 chance of actually scoring a hit that can land the fish (minus trouble with the lines, etc.).  I still think it's faster and easier than using the fishing pole.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 11:53:54 am »
Um... If you have a STR penaly, it's impossible to get a DRed fish with a shortbow.

I've got a mighty +1, and it's still MAYBE 1 in 20 that does that one or two points of damage.

Faldred

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 11:58:12 am »
Ah.  I didn't realize that bows applied STR penalties (never tried that before).

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 12:08:42 pm »
Heh. Pyyran's got +1 or 2, but bows need mighty to apply a STR bonus. In his case, he SHOULD be doing 2-7 damage a hit, but I've seen him get 1s on fishing damage before.

SuperMunch

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 12:19:18 pm »
Bard song and point blank shot, +3 to damage at short range.

All Freldo needs to do is score 3 or more points of damage on the die (75% chance) and he's reeling it in.  Being level 7 also helps, but you have to damage the fish to have a chance at getting it.

I used less than a single quiver of 99 arrows to fill a large chest with salmon at the Leilon Arms, pretty good, huh?

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 02:52:12 pm »
That's 30 fish. :P Spawn camper.

SuperMunch

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 04:10:58 pm »
Nah, just a lot of trips to and from the Xeenite Temple in Karthy.  *winks*

I only spawn camped when I was turning some 20 bags of sand into bits of sand for Jharl, I'd empty out a few bags before the salmon respawned near beep.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 11:14:02 pm »
lonnarin - 7/5/2006  11:11 AM  
  We should save worms for the fish and make grubs edible for druids.

Yes! LMAO

Edit: just for completeness, you CAN score a critical hit against a school of fish.

anything