The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Thieves Tools  (Read 266 times)

LordCove

Thieves Tools
« on: July 23, 2006, 03:25:49 am »
Hi...

Im just wondering if the whole amount of Ore (ie. Tin...Copper) is really neccessary.

To make 1 +3 Thieves tool you need

8 Ingots of Tin for 2 Gears
4 Ingots of Tin for 2 wires
1 Ingot of Tin for creation

All in all...13 Ingots of Tin to make 1 Thieves Tool....which of course, only works the once. Im not sure if you even need that much ore to make armour.

Could this not be lessened somehow...as it seems an awful lot of Ore to make one LockPick.
Perhaps it could make 5 of them from all the above Ore.

Just an idea.

Nibor21

RE: Thieves Tools
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 06:17:49 am »
Either that or perhaps theives tools could be longer lasting and have a breaking chance like pick axes etc

LordCove

Re: Thieves Tools
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 01:44:19 am »
*bumping....curious to see if anything can be done*

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 05:44:15 am »
Uhm...not really a need to bump. We do watch this thread and others, even if we don't immediately comment or implement.
  Now....Can something be done?  Yes.  Will it?  Unsure.  CNR recipes, like most things in the world, are balanced against many factors.  That's not to say there aren't errors or things that can't be adjusted, but in most cases, they're as they are for a reason.  Usually the better versions of products like this take either more materials or better materials...or both, and that's by design.  
  On the question of usage/breakage....I think this is something that the engine handles, and while perhaps we could adjust this, I'm not sure we want to.
  I will have someone else look at this though...someone with a better mind to balance than my own.
  One thing I will say is that wires and gears are used other places, so changing the requirements on those also changes the other recipes that depend on them. If this were a single, isolated recipe, it might be OK to tweak quantities, but it's not...and so whatever we change can ripple through several other things.

Faldred

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 06:12:47 am »
Dorganath - 7/26/2006  8:44 AM    One thing I will say is that wires and gears are used other places, so changing the requirements on those also changes the other recipes that depend on them.  If this were a single, isolated recipe, it might be OK to tweak quantities, but it's not...and so whatever we change can ripple through several other things.  
 Yeah, I don't think those quantities should change, but the original poster is right that certain single-use items seem to require much more in raw materials than they're worth.  (Reference the recent discussion on arrowheads.)  So, I think there are two ways to address this without affecting other recipes:[list=1]Change the quantity produced per successful attempt (given the amount of resources, 5 to 10 units per success sounds reasonable, perhaps less for better tools).
Change the recipe to not create the default NWN theives' tools, but rather a Layo-specific "lock pick" (or whatever) that would give the character a bonus to the appropriate skills when used.  Of course, there would still be choices in how to implement this:

The "shovel" model -- bonuses apply as long as one is in inventory, chance of breakage
    The "gem pick" model -- bonuses apply only when equipped, chance of breakage
    The "wand" model -- bonuses apply only when a charge is used, limited charges
    [/list]
    [/list]  Note that #2 would not require replacing the single-use version of theives' tools as a drop or shop item.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 06:24:58 am »
It seems very reasonable that we could be given more thieves' tools for each successful craft. Say, four at +1, three at +3, two at +6, and 1 at +10. That way, the less-than-useful ones are easier to make, and the harder ones that have more of an impact of the difficulty of the door you can enter are kept at a nice level of rarity.

darkstorme

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 06:35:50 am »
I'll add my wholehearted agreement to this, whether Kell can get his hands on the material to craft these things yet or not.  *grins*

anything