The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Thoughts on mangled metals  (Read 334 times)

Harloff

Thoughts on mangled metals
« on: April 26, 2006, 03:36:38 am »
After crafting for a long time I have com across a descrepancy with metals that i find odd. Different crafts gives different amount of mangled metals eventhough exactly the same proceses are involved, in many cases a molds of sorts and some metal ingots:

Armor crafting: ½ * ingots used are returened as mangled. (rounded down)
Weapon crafting: 1 ingot is returned no matter what.
Tinkering (arrowhead): all ingots used are returned as mangled
Tinkering (wire gears): nothing
Jewelry: Nothing

As I see it there is no logic explanation to why it is like that. I have 2 suggestions to make the system simple and consistent:

1. Remove mangled metals from all crafts

2. Give mangled metals back in the ration 1 to 1, but 2 mangled metals are needed in order to make on ingot. (that would also account for ingots being heavier than mangled metals.

Stranzini

RE: Thoughts on mangled metals
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 02:01:51 am »
I like mangled metals!

Well, I like it better when things work, but I like getting a half a second chance when they don't. Mangled metals add fun, they add complexity to the crafting process.

We could imagine a rationale that in making jewelry, since we obviously need to reduce our ingot to little tiny bits of metal to make a ring or links of a chain or whatever, there is no chance to recover anything resembling an ingot and thus no mangled return. (Although I think in RL jewelers do know how to recycle even little bits of material.) Not that I wouldn't be happy to get mangled metal back from jewelry failures too. But I can understand it.

But at least it seems like tinkering ought to be consistent in always (or never, or at some consistent probability level between always and never) returning mangled metal - no reason that arrowheads are different than gears.

And musical instrument crafting too...we use metal and should get mangled metal back on failures. I haven't made that many harps and I don't remember right now, but I don't think we get anything currently.

IMO the fact that conversion of mangled metal to a fresh ingot has a chance of failure (and a very good chance of failure if the character doesn't normally do smelting and so has a low skill level) is the right place to balance the efficiency. Needing two mangled to get one ingot back doesn't necessarily make sense to me, and certainly would be a nuisance for those who only get their hands on small amounts of metals at a time and aren't doing mass production. And there's an easier way to fix the weight discrepancy:-)

If we think the system is unbalanced maybe the chances of success for converting a mangled metal back to an ingot should be lowered even for people with higher levels in smelting, to keep it so the process is not perfectly efficient.

forsettii

• View Profile
    Re: Thoughts on mangled metals
    « Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 06:37:53 am »
    It has been a while since I even thought about this question.  

When I started balancing all of the different types of metals I made a choice to only give back so much mangeled metal.  Then I also made a choice that you could not take a completed work and destroy it.

When you look deep into the code of CNR there is only so much you can do with it.  You can only have 1 bi-product returned.  I know in Potion Making it is a vial being returned.

But it is an issue with how the code was originially done.  Wood had Sawdust as a biproduct.  When I made the Musical Instrament add on I must have just missed it.  

It would not be that hard to "finish" that system.  Just takes time.

Stranzini

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 10:45:38 am »
    Next time I fail to make a harp, I'll confirm if there is mangled metal or not. The sawdust is there on the wooden instruments.

Faldred

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 12:16:29 pm »
    forsettii - 5/4/2006  9:37 AM  When I started balancing all of the different types of metals I made a choice to only give back so much mangeled metal.  Then I also made a choice that you could not take a completed work and destroy it.
     If not being able to break down completed works was intentional for balance reasons, then that would pretty much cancel out the suggestions I had for the Ingot Recycler[/I].

anything