The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Tinfoil hat  (Read 210 times)

Faldred

Tinfoil hat
« on: June 30, 2006, 07:29:41 am »
(Okay, this is mostly not serious, but it could be done, so...)

After being exposed recently to some ridiculous conspiracy theory or other, I caught myself referring to the author as a "tinfoil hat person" -- and somehow, I managed to think about Layo... probably due to some recent tin mining Zug was doing...

So, what are supposed to be the properties of a "tinfoil hat"?  Why, immunity from the "mind control rays", of course, and while the term has been expanded to any sort of nutter, this is where it originates.  Of course, in Layo/D&D, protection from mind control is a pretty good idea, so while it would be a somewhat anachronisitc joke, here goes...

LESSER TINFOIL HAT
Base Item: Helm
Craft: Tinkering
Station: Tinker's Device
Recipe: 3 Tin Ingots, Helmet Mold
Effects: +3 to Concentration, +3 save vs. Mind Affecting, -2 INT, -2 CHR

GREATER TINFOIL HAT
Base Item: Helm
Craft: Tinkering
Station: Tinker's Device
Recipe: 8 Tin Ingots, Helmet Mold
Effects: +3 to Concentration, Immunity vs. Mind Affecting, -2 INT, -2 WIS, -4 CHR

Nibor21

Re: Tinfoil hat
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 08:01:33 am »
Just had this great mental image of the film Signs where Joaquin Phoenix and the two kids are huddled together with the tin foil hats on their heads - brilliant.

Now replace Joaquin with a half-giantin full plate and turn the kids into elves - even better.

The recipe seems a little easy for effects though

Faldred

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 08:10:33 am »
I agree on the materials... I just couldn't think what else would go into it.  (Maybe some cloth and wire?  But those are still too "easy"...)

Nibor21

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 08:18:44 am »
Maybe something to do with the clarity spell?

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 09:10:23 am »
Essences of Wisdom and Cunning. Two of each for the first, four for the second.

Gem dusts. 4 Feldspar for the first, 4 Alex for the second.

darkstorme

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 08:04:12 am »
Except that (sensibly) the item descriptions have them as being DETRIMENTAL to both wisdom and cunning.  So including essences of same makes little sense.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 09:27:56 am »
But there's no reason to drop the scores with that, either. I'd say some -10s on all Charisma-based skills, sure, but not the actual ability scores.

darkstorme

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 11:31:08 am »
No, no.. it's like the Alienist arcane prestige class.  While the tinfoil hat protects against mind-controlling effects, it does so at the cost of its wearer's sanity.    After all, how many people have YOU seen wearing tinfoil hats who are in possession of all their marbles?  Mad certainty allows the user to shrug off attempts at mind control.  Cause and effect are a bit blurry there, of course.. but it might as well be wearing the hat that causes insanity, rather than the other way around.  *grins*

Faldred

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 11:16:17 am »
Stephen_Zuckerman - 7/4/2006  12:27 PM

But there's no reason to drop the scores with that, either. I'd say some -10s on all Charisma-based skills, sure, but not the actual ability scores.

I like that idea!

How about also requiring a Will save vs. DC (value TBD) in order to remove the "hat", with only 1 attempt allowed per day.  :)