The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Lyle Underroot - Country Bumpkin Extraordinaire  (Read 989 times)

Nehetsrev

Lyle Underroot - Country Bumpkin Extraordinaire
« on: July 15, 2006, 08:48:21 am »
Entry 1 - Jenra 3, 1403

I made my way to Hlint finally, leaving home for what will be a rightly long time it would seem now.  Indeedy!  I've met a few folk that tickle my fancy and seem friendly enough.  Heyeah, Prunilla's blessed me with a right bountiful harvest o' good folk to friends, espcially Lillian.  It must be meant to be, I'm leanin' toward, I mean what better sign for one who follows Prunilla than to fall in love with a lass who's name is that oh a beautiful flower, and who e'en looks comparable in beauty to said blossom?  Lilly is a right pleasure on me eyes, don' know 'ow anyone could evah 'ave said to 'er she were rough to look at.  Even ifn they meant rough in 'er ways they'd not know what they were sayin', Lilly is a sure thing o' beauty even swingin' that funny lookin' sword o' hers in midst o' fightin'.  She's a right deadly beautiful, glorious bloom!  I ought te know too, since my heart stopped the moment my eyes laid themselves upon 'er in the craftin' house.

Lilly's introduced me to some right kind an' 'elpful bigguns she knows.  The fella Freldo is indeedy one o' the most 'elpful an' generous biggun's I've evah met.  'E can be a bit pushy in 'is own way, but ifn ye can get pas' that he's not a bad fella at all.  'E sold me some right fancy rings an' gave me a fancy belt an' a nice wood'n instrument wit' strings.  I didn't 'ave the heart te tell 'im I'm more a pipe-player meself, mayhaps I'll fiddle with learnin' the strings a bit more anyway.  Me ol' Story-teller always used ta say the more music I knew the greater life I'd 'ave to live.  An' lately seems my music's taken on right like magical an' all, maybe it's cause me heart sings with every thought o' Lilly that courses through it.

Reaping the harvest o' knowledge about my great-grandfather Lyle is going rather un-fruitfully.  "Ol' Lyle" as I've taken te callin' him, didn't leave much o' an impression on the locals of Hlint while he was there aparently.  I 'spose I shouldna 'ave expected much o' it anyways seein' as most o' us right-sized folk tend to move 'round quite a bit, what one's o' us ain't tied to the land and tendin' fields.  Indeedy!, one last letter post-marked from Hlint from Ol' Lyle to me great-grandmother ain't much to start wit'.  Ifn I knew 'is clan name it might be a bit easier, but alas 'tis not found in me great-grandma's diary nor in the letters she kept from Ol' Lyle.  Lilly an' I went into the sewers alookin' fer some lost records on behalf o' the lady at the courthouse, an' in hopes they might offer some clue about Ol' Lyle.  Sadly, the lost books just held numbers and no names.  Next we thought to check with the local undertaker in case Ol' Lyle 'ad died an' might be buried in Hlint.  That biggun, Erag, 'e duped us into gettin' 'im some black goo from some restless deadun in the crypts for 'im, an' then when I gave it to 'im he admitted to not even knowin' anythin' about Ol' Lyle.  I tried talkin' to the postmaster too, Vale bein' 'is name, an' all he cares about is whether I'll make 'is deliveries for 'im, the fat, lazy biggun!  Makes me rather annoy'd the way bigguns always seem te wan' te take 'vantage o' us right-sized folk jus' cause we're smaller.  Indeedy, rightly makes me want te give 'em a taste of me wrath!  A'least not all o' 'em are so bad.

Anyhoo, af'er seeming to exhaust all official information sources there in Hlint, Lilly took it upon 'erself te drag me afar te put me crossbow skills te good use in slayin' trolls wit' that fella Freldo.  So, all-in-all, weren't entirely a bad 'arvest the Lady of Harvests brought to me life these past few days, an' I planted some good seeds for days te come, so 'opefully the 'arvests she brings me will continue to be more 'n more fruitful.  Maybe the true fruit o' my 'arvest will one day be the 'and o' Lilly takin'me as a husband.  A fella can dream.

Nehetsrev

RE: Lyle Underroot - Country Bumpkin Extraordinaire
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 07:53:23 am »
Entry 2 - Jenra 18, 1403

Well, Ah've been te quite a few new places in Mistone and a few on Rilara too in the last few days wit' Lilly and some others we traveled wit'.  Ah've died a few times in that span as well, twice te goblins, once te giants, and once te a big brown bear.  It's the oddest thing, and rightly so, feelin' yer body die around ye and then bein' yanked from it back te a newly formin' one at a bindstone.  It's also right painful in a fierce way.  Ah'll 'ave te avoid dyin' ag'in ina future ifn ah can manage it.

Right, well, lessee...  'Aven't foun' no new ken about Ol' Lyle in all these travels, though ah've been puttin' out me feelers an' waggin' me tongue to an aweful lot o' strangers about 'im in 'opes maybe sumt'in will crop up.  Mayhaps it'll be that one o' these folks ah talk to 'll 'ave some ken te share wit' me.  At any rate, ah'm plantin' seeds fer a ripe ol' harvest o' ken to grow te fruition in Prunilla's due season.  Ah hope me Lady o' Harvest sees fit te reward my dillegent sowing o' seed, an' while ah don' 'ave no offerin' o' produce from the fields te offer up te 'er, ah intend te bring te 'er temple a right sum o' gold coin when that fellow Freldo takes me there.

Now, in mem'ries that make me smile as ah right should, ah gave Lilly a lilly ah bought fer 'er from a local flower vend'r in a place called Fort 'Ope as we was passin' through.  Now mayhaps ah'm a bit o' a sap, but when 'er face turned that glorious shade o' rosey an' she gave me a peck on me cheek, ah dun start'd te float nine inches offn the ground!  An' we 'ad ourselves a bit o' a talkin too in Velensk that makes me even 'appier ah think.  I tol' 'er 'ow me 'eart stopped at me first sight o' 'er, an' 'ow ah've fallen deeply in love wit' 'er since then, an' Jubilation! she turn'd right 'round an' tol' me she 'as feelin's fer me too!  Now, we both o' us agreed that it'd be best ifn we didn't rush our love none too quick, so ah'll jus' keep up wit' admirin' 'er an' let 'er make the moves as she sees fit te.  Ah dun wanna lose 'er, nosirree!

As me love fer 'er keeps growin' so does the pow'r o' me song.  Ah've even ken'd 'ow te wrap the music 'round meself to dissappear from sight o' eyes, though rightly said the un-wrappin' o' it still eludes me ken.  A right fine lady fer a biggun named Annalee who was wit' Freldo when ah last saw 'im showed me sum kinda magic suckin' stone that they both said could do the un-wrappin' o' any music I might wrap 'bout meself.  Ah'll 'ave te see 'bout gettin' such a stone fer meself, ah wonder where ah might find 'em though.  Mayhaps at a magic store?  All-in-all, Lilly's the source o' me inspiration for these new songs o' power ah'm singin' from me 'eart now.  Me ol' Story-teller would be right proud o' me ifn she could 'ear me sing now, an' see the pow'r me songs 'ave.  Ah've even begun te pick up a knack fer that mandolin Freldo gave te me, an' when ah use it ah find ah can sing more o' me simpler tunes afore ah need te take a breather 'gain.

Jubilation!  Ain' life grand?

Nehetsrev

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 07:37:15 am »
Entry 3 - Febra 5, 1403

My search continues, but still no word o' me great-grandpa or 'is where'bouts.  Ah'll not give up mah searchin' though, ah jus' feel ah 'ave te know more about Ol' Lyle.

A sad an' bizar' thing 'appedened in mah travels wit' Lilly the other day.  We were wit' a large group in Dregar, slayin' giants an' the like, even Freldoo was there wit' us.  Ah remember 'e pulled me off'n the 'ill anyway.  Ah guess the place the sad an' bizar' thing 'appened in were called The Black Hills.  Up on top o' one hill there were a drake, ye know dragon kin o' young age...  Lilly along wit' a few others ran up the 'ill te charge te drake an' slay it.  The drake killed Lilly afore ah could weave the notes that would've 'ealed 'er.  That's the sad part.  The bizar' part is that even though ah felt jus' terrible that Lilly 'ad fallen, another part o' me was drawn te stare at the dead drake an' feel almos' sad fer it too.  Me gaze was 'eld te it wit' some sort o' strange fascination.  An' affer that ah ended up stayin' b'hind fer a bit at a place called Vale.  Images o' the drake an' dragons kept flyin' through me mind fer hours, maybe even fer days afore ah came back te right thinkin'.  Then, ah ran.  Ah ran te find mah Lilly, an' somehow me feet knew jus' where te go an' ah foun' 'er an' Freldoo an' the oth'rs outside the temple o' Prunilla.  Maybe it were Prunilla guidin' me te Lilly, 'r maybe it were sumthin' else.  Ah don' know.

We wen' back te Rilara, an' then back te Hlint.  Along the way Freldoo shared wit' me the story o' 'ow he came te sing 'is first real song from 'is 'eart.  We talk'd 'bout how we each ken'd our music into magic, 'ow each thing ina world 'as it's own song an' is part o' a bigger song.  Ah tol' Freldoo 'ow me own songs ain' had no pow'r 'til ah met Lilly an' that wit' each day ah've known 'er the pow'r in me songs 'as grown as me love fer 'er 'as grown.  Ah 'ope ah nevah see 'er body go limp in death again.  Ah'm sure ah will though, an' ah'm sure it'll only 'urt more each an' everah time ah see it 'appen.

Drag'ns.  Why do ah 'ave such a fascination wit' 'em?  The things scare me til me knees knock, yet ah can't get 'em out o' me head.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 07:18:07 am »
Entry 4 - Febra 20, 1403

Ah've got te learn te be much more careful with my weavin' o' the music from me 'eart.  A bunch o' the times ah was meanin' te help Lilly an' me friends t'day all ah ended up doin' was 'urting us all, or worse, gettin' us all kill'd.  Ah feeel reeally badly 'bout it too.  Ah'm so 'shamed.  There were e'en a couple times when the rest o' 'em din't realize ah'd been the cause o' their injury an' ah felt too 'shamed te 'fess up.

Ah ask'd a lot more people ifn they'd 'eard o' me great-grandpa Lyle t'day, but still no one seems te 'ave any ken o' 'im.  A right nice fella who says 'e's also a bard by name of Darren offer'd te help me ifn ah need'd it.  Fer that matter, quite a few o' the others ah'd spoken wit' seemed te want ter 'elp ifn ah need'd it.  Ah 'ope ah stumble onte a lead te Ol' Lyle soon.  Sumtimes ah feel like right giv'n up on me search an' jus' livin' out me days wit' Lilly.

Still catch meself thinkin' o' dragons a lot.  An' when ah was 'lone on Dregar, affer ah wen' wit' Lilly an' te others te Saudiria, on me way back te Pranzis ah almost wen' up that 'ill where the drake 'ad kill'd Lilly a few days back.  Ah felt drawn te it, an' it took quite an' eff'rt te pull meself 'way from that place.

Freldoo gave me a book o' songs about all manner o' critters an' 'ow te call 'em.  Ah might 'ave te practice some o' them songs a bit more.  Ah already ken 'ow te call meself a special kind o' hawk that's verah friendly te me, an' protective too.  When that fella, Mage Dalton up in Fort Llast, ask'd me te git 'im some essense o' wisp ah called the hawk te 'elp me in the high moores.  Ah ken'd ah couldn't touch the wisp wit any ol' weapon o' me own, so ah weaved a special hard-sharpness right onte the hawk's beak an' the hawk fought the wisp' without receivin' much more an' a scratch while ah watched invisible from a safe distance.  Now, that's the kind o' ingenuity me ol' pa would be right proud o' ifn 'e'd been there te see it.  Ah'll 'ave te call on me hawk friend agin in the future sumtime when ah'm feel'n lonely, jus' the sight o' him eases me mind a bit.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 07:40:29 am »
Entry 5 - Mar 7, 1403

We 'ad ourselves a right good trip through Dregar in the last couple o' days, Lilly, an' ah, an' Vlad', an' a fella name o' Ashos, an' a lady name o' Ash.  Poor ol' Vlad' got 'imself bit in two by a shark walkin' in the shallows o' a place called the Bay o' Carocas or sum-such.  Ah nearly was killed by the shark too, 'cept one o' me friends was able te bless me wit' a healin' 'nough that ah 'ad time te make meself invisible so the sharks couldn't see me.  Not long affer that Vlad' 'ad te leave company so it were jus' me, Lilly an' that fella named Ashos until we met the lady Ash along our way in North Fort.

O' ah shouldn' ferget that we also met a Elf o' the seas in one o' the giant caves.  Ah gathered from our limited intercourse that 'er name was Auuumi.  Ah'd seen 'er once or twice before, an' 'eard differen' people whistle wit 'er, so that's 'ow ah 'cided te approach 'er meself when she seem'd nervous o' us at first.  Seem'd te work too 'cause affer that she smiled an' made motions like she want'd te join us fer a time, which we all invited 'er te do.  Though she stay'd b'hind in the cave when we were 'ead'd out te leave.

Affer our return te Hlint, Lilly surprised me wit' a hug!  Ah so much want'd te kiss 'er, an' maybe more, but ah kept meself in check an' did me best te stay a proper gentl'man fer 'er.  Anyway, it were the first time she hugg'd me, an' ah were right overjoyed wit' jubilation!  Affer that we did sum business wit' Freldoo at the craftin' 'ouse an' then she need'd te go rest.

Ah decid'd te walk 'round town a bit afore 'eadin off te slumber meself.  Maybe it were dest'ny that ah did too.  Ah stumbl'd 'pon the legend'ry bard Ozymandius an' 'e were tell'n the tale 'bout 'ow 'e was one o' the heroes what defeat'd Sinthrar Bloodstone not so long ago.  'ow Blood' an' the destruction o' the mastah blood-pool was what put the black in the skies o'er all the world.  'e spoke too 'bout how the metallic drag'ns are stay'n away from Layonara in honor o' a promise they made not te interfear wit' our world no more, but that the chromatic's weren't the sort te keep such promises themselves an' were comin' back te Layonara te make us all slaves, an' food fer their guts too o' course ah imagine.  Ah wonner ifn that's why ah been thinkin' o' drag'ns so much meself lately, that maybe it's me destiny te set me life te slayin' the beasts or sum-such?  Ah don' know, the notion jus' don' feel quite right though.

Anyway, affer the story ah decid'd ah'd try lookin' fer that Great Library that ah heard 'bout te see ifn maybe ah could find a clue 'bout me great-grandpa Lyle an' where 'e might be, whether e's alive or dead.  So ah ask'd the people gather'd ifn anyone could 'elp me find the Great Library, but none offered more 'elp than te say it were at Castle Blackford.  Well, ah ken'd where Castle Blackford is so ah went there an' ask'd fer permission te look through their library, but it were in such a mess that ah couldn't find anythin' an' there were no one there te help me look.  Now ah don' ken much 'bout libraries but it didn't seem te me that the library at Blackford Castle were all that great.  Ah don' think that library was the Great Library ah've 'eard tell 'bout.  Now, ah did see a shimmer'n magic portal in there, but ah didn't go through as ah didn't know where it might take me.  One thing me ol' Story-teller back 'ome taught me 'bout such portals is nevah go through 'em unless'n ye know where they'll put ye 'cause it might be sum-place dangerous an' there might not be a safe way back.

Ah really wish those folks back in Hlint would've been a tad more 'elpful te a country fella like me, but jus' 'cause they ain' ain' no reas'n fer me te give up me search fer Ol' Lyle.  Ah s'pose ah might try find'n a temple o' Aragen one o' these days an' see ifn they can 'elp me any ifn ah can't find the Great Library or what ah'm lookin' fer there when ah do find it.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 08:24:58 am »
Entry 6 - Mar 22, 1403

A kiss!  A right proper kiss indeedy!  Ah'm in 'eaven, or at least gittin' close!  We were stayin' at the inn in Port Hampshire, Scamp's Mug ah think it were called.  Anyway, we'd bumped inte Freldo there an' affer ah got too tired te listen te all the talkin' anymore ah 'eaded te the room in the back te git sum proper shut-eye ina nice cozy bed.  Well Lilly followed b'hind me right quick, so ah did the gentlemanly thing an opened 'er door for 'er, an' then she called me inte her room!  Ah hes'tated at first, ah didn' want te be improp'r an' all, but me love fer 'er pushed me forward.  Then she told me te give 'er a right proper kiss an' closed 'er eyes te wait fer it.  Ah admitt'd te 'er ah was a bit nervous, ah mean 'er love means so much te me ah didn't want 'er te be dis'point'd ifn me kiss weren't up te 'er 'spectations, so the pressure were on me sumtin' fierce.  Then ah kiss'd 'er in the most romantic way ah could must'r, ah 'ope it were good nuff fer 'er.  She sent me out 'er room affer that, jus' in time fer me te bump inte Freldoo in the 'all.  'E were bringin' 'er some stuff she'd ask'd 'im te make fer 'er.  'E look'd at me wit' a bit o' a questionin' grin, an' ah jus' wink'd te 'im with a big ol' smile on me face.  E'en ifn ah don' git te kiss Lilly agin, ah'll always 'ave that kiss te fuel me 'eart an' 'mpow'r me song.

Lat'r ah run inte the legend'ry bard Ozymandius agin wit' a gatherin' o' folk near the pond out back o' the Wild Surge in Hlint.  'E was gonna tell anoth'r story an' ah ask'd ifn 'e had any wit' drag'ns in 'em, ah don' know why ah ask'd 'bout drag'ns, the words jus' spill'd out me mouth.  Ah think 'e were offend'd though.  Anyway, ah made 'scuse that ah was goin' lookin' fer me great-grandpa sum more, an' Ozy point'd out ah should check in Luck.  Don' know why ah didn't think o' Luck meself.  Maybe there ah'll 'ave a bett'r chance o' findin' sumone what knows Ol' Lyle, or maybe ifn ah'm real lucky ah'll find Ol' Lyle 'imself there.

It were affer that when Lilly an' ah were adventurin' more in Dregar that ah saw 'er be kill'd agin.  Low-down, dirty, stup'd giants ambush'd us all ina cave on our way out.  Ah tried te 'eal 'er when ah was 'em bashin' on 'er sumtin' fierce, but ah was a moment too slow.  An' as one o' the giants knock'd 'er down an' crush'd 'er 'ead, ah felt me own 'eart bein' crush'd wit' 'er.  The dwarf, Ketil, an' the elf, Akki, that were wit' us finish'd off the last o' the giants t'gethah, an' then ah knelt down 'side 'er an' wept inside fer a bit, til the oth'rs talk'd me inte leavin' afore more giants came.  Affer that ah didn't 'ave the 'eart fer more advent'rin' wit'out my Lilly there.  'Twere a sad day indeedy.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 07:06:06 am »
Entry 7 - Apreal 9, 1403

Tarnations!  It's been a rough week!  Ah died no less than three times on a lengthy trip with Lilly and others across much of Dregar.  Needless te say, ah'm none too eag'r te go back inte those swamps or that cave agin any time in the near future.

Ifn ah do go agin, ah think ah'll let sum'one else 'ndle the loot gatherin'.  Ah think ifn I hadn't been runnin' so far behind the others due te my dill'gence in collectin' the gold an' such from our fall'n foes that ah wouldn't've been kill'd.  'Course the rate them oth'rs were kill'n foes an' runnin' on, ah don't think anyone coulda kept up wit' 'em unlessn they were magicked wit' un-natural speed the entire time.  Don' git me wrong, ah don' mind the lootin' so long as the group ah'm wit' don' mind goin' slow 'nuff that ah can keep up.

Worst o' it is ah lost a part o' me soul te the Soul Mother when the others 'ad all gone across the river b'fore ah could an' a bunch o' Black Snakes right ambush'd me afore ah could so much as call te 'em fer 'elp.  On the bright side o' that experience, the Lady O' Comfort Herself sent a pixie te raise me up in a firey conflageration that didn't burn me none 'tall.  As the others were gathered where ah'd fallen debatin' ifn ah was some wielder o' the black arts o' necromancy, ah'd swum across the river te git away from where ah'd died only moments afore an' that's when the pixie flew by an' tol' me o' Prunilla's blessin' bein' what it were.

Ah truly feel bless'd in life by Prunilla.  Ah don' think ah could've come as far as ah 'ave wit'out 'er blessin' me daily 'arvests o' knowledge an' wisdom.  Ah want te bring anoth'r siz'ble offerin' te Prunilla's temple soon te show Prunilla me thankfullness an' right proper devotion te 'er.  While ah'm there ah might e'en burn some incense te 'elp fill her nose wit' a saweet fragrance te go wit' the saweet sound o' me voice lift'd in praise an' worship.  Mayhaps ah'll e'en try te write fer 'er a new hymn meself one day soon, though ah can say the ol' hymns o' plantin' an' 'arvest an' all 'er comfort in life still touch me 'eart te the deepest depths.

Ah think ah'm gettin' closer te findin' sumthin' o' Ol' Lyle too, an' wit' Prunilla's continu'd blessin' ah should be bringin' in a 'arvest o' the seeds ah plant'd in me search fer 'im.  Might be that Luck is where 'e got off te, an' ah hope te find sumthin' o' 'im there when ah visit in the near future.  There's jus' got te be sum'one in this world what knows o' Ol' Lyle, an' ah intend te find 'em.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 08:05:39 am »
Entry 8 - Mai 11, 1403

Ah'm still meanin' te make a trip or two te Luck, though it seems everah day somethin' else comes up an' me plans te go thar get delay'd.  Ah sang to a big gatherin' o' folks near the docks in Port Hampshire the oth'r day, though it seems me songs went unheard or unappreciated by most ears, at least me Lilly was a listenin' te me.  Ah was singin' mostly fer her anyway.

Ah keep thinkin' o' that little fella ah met at the Wild Surge a week or so past.  'E wants me te put inte verse me account o' how Prunilla sent that pixie to raise me in the swamps o' Dregar so 'e can publish it in 'is paper, The Dragon's Whisper.  Ah've been thinkin' a bit about 'ow ah might do that, but thus far inspiration for the verse seems te be eludin' me.

Ah'm gettin' a lil' bettah at me tinkerin' an' wood-workin' skills in me efforts te learn fletchery.  Ah've made a few sets o' arrows an' bolts with bronze tips now, but ah still feel ah need more practice wit' hickory afore ah can begin much work wit' oak.  Least ah can git the feathers an' the clay te make arrow-head molds meself, but not bein' able te swing an' axe or pick right is slowin' down me progress since ah can't mine ore or chop wood.  Ah've started tryin' te cut gems a bit too, jus' outa curiosity te see ifn ah can do well wit' dat tradeskill.  So far no success there, but ah feel ah've got it in me ifn ah keep tryin'.

Ah've got te start tryin' te make instruments too sometime soon, 'cause this hickory mandolin Freldo gave me ain' got the best sound ina world.  Still not a bad instrument though, jus' not up te me evah increasin' standards.  Asides, ah think an' instrument o' me own makin', wit' a bit o' me own soul in it, will 'elp me channel the flows o' me spirit te weave the chords inte magic bettah.

Wings an' scales...why do ah keep thinkin' 'bout 'em?

Nehetsrev

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 08:09:18 am »
Entry 9 - Mai 27, 1403

Well, ah decided te try some new things.  Ah've started gatherin' me own materials fer crafting, what ones ah can gather without the use o' a pick or axe.  Got plenty o' strige wings te make me favorite type o' arrows wit'.  Even tried me 'and at gem-craftin' some an' cut a few malachite, though ah don' feel ah learned much from that.  Ah am most proud o' me progress wit' makin' instruments o' music.  Ah've made a tamb'rine, an several copper harps, as well as a few hickory violin bows.  Now that all may not sound too impressive at first but when ye consider ah just started the art o' making me own instruments fer the first time, ah think ah've done right well.

Ah still 'aven't made the trip to Luck te start me search fer Ol' Lyle there.  Everah time ah think te 'ead that way, sumtin' new crops up, or ah find myself distracted, or sumtimes ah even jus' go inte a daze thinkin' 'bout dragons.  Mayhaps ah need te go te the temple o' Prunilla an' pray fer a time te plant a seed o' determination in me 'eart.  Mayhaps ah've gotten too distract'd from me search for Ol' Lyle by me feelin's fer Lilly, not that that's a terrible thing.  Ah certainly love 'er, ah do.  Still, me reason fer leavin' 'ome were te find more about me great-grandpa, an' thus learn more 'bout meself an' me family 'istory.  Ifn ah give up me search now, ah'll always 'ave that naggin' wonderin' in me dividin' me full attention from Lilly, an' she deserves me full attention, nuthin' less.

Anyway, ah died in Dregar agin.  Fell to me own stupidity really, or at least bad timin'.  Ah'd jus' found Lilly an' some other's in one o' the giant caves.  Gruwlz an' Gunther, big-big fella's, 'ad come wit' me te look fer 'er. Anyway, we were on our way out o' the cave when I realized ah was a laggin' behind the rest, that ol' Ketil fella is always rushin' on ahead wit' no thought o' anyone else seems like.  So, ah stopped te sing fer more strength te help me carry me load quicker an' jus' as ah did a bunch o' giants jumped out o' sum' o' there huts where they'd been hidin' an' smushed me te pulp afore ah could stop singin' fer strength an' start singin' meself unseeable.  'Ad ah started singin' meself unseeable first, instead o' beginnin' wit' strength ah'd of been jus' fine.  Well, easy te see where ah made me mistake now that it's affer the fact.  Ah'll jus' 'ave te remember this lesson so ah don' need it taught te me agin anytime soon.  Always go unseeable first, Lyle!  Good thin' ah ain' one te give up too easy or such a stupid death from a mistake like this'n would 'ave me goin' 'ome wit' me 'ead down in shame.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 08:13:31 am »
Entry 10 - Jular 1, 1403

Last few days 'ave come an' gone like most any oth'rs.  Ah made some more progress honing me musical instrument making skills, as well as me skills in tinkerin' an' woodcraftin' te make arrows.  Ifn ah can keep up me learnin' pace ah'll soon be able te make meself a fiddle te play.  Not that ah don' like me harp, it's jus' ah've 'ad more experience fer playin' fiddle than ah 'ave the harp.  Ah wish ah could make meself a flute te play, but there jus' don' seem te be a way te do it wit' what ah know o' makin' instruments.

Lilly an' ah shared a brief moment alone on the docks in Point Harbor, an' we start'd te talk 'bout our relationship a bit 'til the first o' the oth'rs who were commin' wit' us caught up.  Ah wish we 'ad more time alone te talk, but even when it seems we do neither o' us seems te know what te say te the other sumtimes.  Anyway, ah told Lilly sumtimes ah feel like ah shame 'er wit' the way ah'm a bit o' a coward.  She didn't agree wit' me view there an' tol' me ah'm brave 'nuff fer her, an' that she feels ah'm always there fer her e'en when the odds look grim.  Maybe ah am, but ah don' feel brave, ah jus' don' want nuthin' bad te happen' te her.

Lilly 'ad tol' me o' sum 'mud-drag'n' she'd tried te fight not far from Hlint an' want'd me te go back an' fight it wit' 'er agin.  Ah felt split, there were the part o' me that was shakin' in me boots jus' thinkin' 'bout facin' a drag'n, and then there was the oth'r part o' me that alway's feels drawn te drag'ns tryin' te push me inte goin' wit' 'er, ifn only jus' te see the beast.  Ah was sore pressed te list'n te me own common sense an' decline te go wit' 'er.  Ah think ifn she'd press'd things furth'r ah'd 'ave gone.  Ifn anythin' ah think me strange fascinatin wit' drag'ns only seems te be gettin' strong'r.  Ah don' know ifn' ah'd be able te resist ifn she ask'd agin.  Wings an' scales...

Nehetsrev

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 07:43:32 am »
Entry 11 - Augra 2, 1403

Well, ah've a few things te report in this journal t'day.  One involves me role in life, as ah think it te be.  Shucks, come te think o' it they all are 'bout me role in life, but different facets o' it.

Ah've been playin' songs in Hlint, merely fer the sheer pleasure o' playin'.  Beautiful songs ah nevah thought ah could play afore, beautiful songs that ain' nevah been played by no one afore.  Ah think ah even 'elped a downtrodden fella named Bucko who'd been made fun o' by sum hick named Jareg.  Bucko don't ken many words in the common tongue, but he's willin' te learn.  'Opefully oth'rs 'bout here will take the time te 'elp teach 'im sum an' not treat 'im like he's stupid an' not worth nuthin'.  Anyway, Bucko were upset that Jareg 'ad tol' 'im the only way 'e'd b'come a man is by eatin' 'is papa.  Ah ask ye, what kind o' nonsense is that?

Anyway, me singin' an' 'elpfulness seems te 'ave attract'd the attention o' Mr. Bumblebee a secon' time.  Ah figure it mus' be part o' Prunilla's plan fer me te speak te people an' plant seeds o' happiness an' maybe sum wisdom too in this dark world we live in now through Mr. Bumblebee's paper.  So, ah agreed te do a bit o' writin' for the Dragon's Whisper, 'opefully on a regular basis, te share me own insights on life.

Lastly, an' in me opinion most importantly, ah may 'ave been a little too forward wit' Lilly.  Ah let 'er know, wit'out no doubts, that ifn she ask'd me te ah'd marry 'er.  Ah ken it ain't quite right an' proper fer a man te ask a lady te marry 'im amongst us right-sized people, but ah felt maybe she were wantin' a bold fella fer 'er 'usband.  Ah guess it weren't what she want'd though, 'cause affer it came out she pick'd 'erself up an' ran from me in shock that ah e'en ask'd 'er te do such a thing.  It'll take all the restraint ah can mustah, but from now on ah'll avoid bringin' up the subject o' marriage wit' Lilly.  Ah can't afford te lose 'er, me 'eart would simply with'r an' die wit'out 'er.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 10:02:02 am »
Entry 12 - Augra 19, 1403

As ah had fear'd, ah'd overstep'd tradition an' good manner's jus' a wee bit too much wit' Lilly.  She threw me down on the floor an' warn'd me ifn ah evah suggest'd marriage te 'er agin afore she 'erself brought it up she would choke the life from me.  At least ah don' think ah lost 'er, so ah guess ah'll jus' 'ave te wait an' see when she's good an' ready.  Ah mus' admit ah'm not used te seein' that violent side o' 'er turn'd on me so, an' the whole bit lef' me thinkin' ah 'ope ah nevah see 'er like that agin.  'er 'eart needs te thaw like the fields o' springtime afore it's ready fer the plantin', ah should've ken'd that.  The 'and that plants too soon risks kill'n the seed afore it can grow.  Ah won' give up though, no sah!  One day ah'll plant the seeds o' me love in 'er ready fields an' watch 'em grow te a bountiful 'arvest.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 07:24:36 am »
Entry 13 - Seplar 19, 1403

Ah don' ken things no more.  Ah don' wanna git me 'opes up too much, but ah think Lilly might be considerin' askin' me te marry 'er soon.  Ifn she does, ah'll accept o' course, nuthin' ah can think o' would make me 'appier.

Ah 'ad a talk wit' Freldoo affer leavin' Lilly te go te sleep in 'er room.  Kinda got te know 'im a little bit bettah, an' shared a bit te let 'im git te know me more too.  'e tol' me a bit 'bout 'is past love an' 'ow now 'e's a man who "moves 'round a lot" nowadays.  Ah think 'e 'as a bit o' hurtin' inside from a past relation, an' 'e's tryin' 'ard te hide it by seekin' the comfort o' many women.  'e pretty much denies it though.  Ah think 'e needs te deal rightly wit' 'is own feelin's or they'll 'old 'im back.  Ifn ye want the best 'arvest ye gotta pull the weeds outa the fields or they'll choke yer crops out.  Ah s'pose ah could be wrong an' be seein' weeds where there aren't none too, but as one who makes a 'abit o' watchin' folks an' learnin' 'ow te ken 'em...  Well who knows fer certain?

Brings me te wonner ifn ah'm being right wit' meself entirely.  Ah mean, ah 'aven't been as actively searchin' fer Ol' Lyle as ah had been when ah first set out from 'ome.  Grant'd ah'm quite 'appy bein' distract'd by me love fer Lilly an' all, but ah really need te buckle down an' go lookin' fer 'im harder ah think.  Ah need te know why no one in me family will speak o' me great-grandpa Lyle, or what 'appen'd te me great-grandma a few years affer me grandpa was born other than te say she left one day an' nevah came back.  Maybe she left me other great-grandpa's fer Ol' Lyle an' she's still out there livin' wit' him sumwhere?  Wouldn't that be sumthin' ifn ah found both great-grandpa Lyle an' me great-grandma Jillian livin' 'appilly t'gether?

Nehetsrev

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 07:13:37 am »
Entry 14 - Oclar 6, 1403

Ah'm feelin' a bit giddy an' excit'd.  Ah wrote a love song fer Lilly in the last couple days, an' though ah ain' sung it fer 'er yet ah think she'll be right tickl'd when ah do.  Ah'm 'opin' te play it fer her at one the taverns when they 'ave an' op'n stage night 'cause ah think it'd be all the more meanin'ful ifn ah play'd it fer the world te hear.

Aside from writin' the new song, ain' a whole lot excitin' been 'appenin' te tell o'.  Ah did go on a trip te the Battle Fens an' the cave there wit' Lilly, Bakee, Daralith, an' sum oth'r right-sized fella who was downright rude 'nuff not te mention 'is name, though 'e didn't join us until our return trip.  Anyway, te make the story short, the four o' us 'ad fall'n te the trolls an' this fella must've run inte Lilly at 'er bindstone er sumtin' an' 'e offer'd te 'elp 'er te 'er grave, ah think only 'cause he was tryin' te be saweet on 'er.  It were quite obvious 'e weren't there fer the rest o' us by the attitude 'e display'd when any on' us tried te talk wit' 'im.  Anyhow, affer we all recover'd 'e stuck wit' us a bit so Lilly could mine sum plat'num in the cave.  As we were 'ead'd out Lilly made it plain she were saweet on me by complimentin' me on 'ow good ah was lookin' that day.  Ah think that upset the rude fella 'cause 'e promptly announc'd 'e was leavin' an' took off on 'is own in a huff.  Ah almost couldn' contain me joy at that!  Te think this fella proclaim'd te be sum sort o' holy man.  Attitude like 'e was showin' on this trip sure ain' gonna 'elp 'im bring in more follow'rs te his god ifn ye ask me.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 07:36:33 am »
Entry 15 - Oclar 21, 1403

Ah'm gettin' bettah wit' craftin' musical instruments as ah've 'ad plenty o' practice in the last few days thanks te Lilly bringin' me loads o' oak te work wit'.  Ifn ah'm not one o' the best in the land yet, ah feel ah soon will be at the rate ah'm pickin' up this wonnerful craft.

Anoth'r bit o' news te share is 'bout me column in Mr. Bumblebee's publication, the Dragon's Whisper, which ah got te see in print at last.  Ah'll 'ave te write up sumthin' more fer me column which ah decided te name "From Planting To Harvest".  Ah'm sure Mr. Bumblebee will be wishin' te 'ave the next entry fer me column as soon as possible.  Maybe ah should try te write a poem 'bout Prunilla fer the next issue, it'd be good te honor the Lady O' Comfort.

Me performance's continue te garner good response from passers-by in Hlint.  Truthfully ah don' really care so much ifn ah'm a crowd-pleaser since ah play fer the joy o' playin'.  My first few venture's wit' the violin were rather tentative since ah'm not so used te string'd instruments, but now as ah've gott'n bettah wit' playin' it ah find the violin' te be one o' the most expressive instruments evah devis'd.  A creative play'r can use the bow te draw out mournful tones, or rapidly strok'd lively ones, plus ye can pluck or even strum the strings as well for even great'r variety in the range o' tunes ye can play.  Mixin' it all t'gether in jus' the right ways ye can varit'bly paint a picture wit' yer music, an' the more 'eart ye put inte it the more the violin amplifies those thoughts, feelin's, an' emotions.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 07:40:45 am »
Entry 16 - Decilar 10, 1403

Ah got the chance te sing the song ah wrote for Lilly at the 'Halfling' cellebration Freldo host'd at the Lellion Arms.  Ah think 'e ought te call it the 'Right-sized Folk' cellebration meself, but 'e's 'uman an' a friend so ah'll let it go.  Anyway, Lilly 'ad been really upset wit' me, apparently she thought ah was ignorin' 'er while ah work'd on me instruments in North Point.  Mayhaps ah kinda was, but not intentional-like.  Ah jus' git so involv'd in me craftin' ah seem te tune out everahthin' what goes on 'round me.  Don't help that a lot o' the things ah 'ave te do wit' the materials te fashion instruments make a bunch o' noise.  Anyway, the song 'elp'd te patch things up a bit, an' an honest, 'eartfelt 'pology 'elp'd fix things the rest o' the way.

Affer that, Lilly want'd te go help a friend o' 'ers she'd left at Fort Miritix te get back 'ome safely.  She's such a gem, me Lilly.  So, we went t'geth'r te find this friend o' 'ers only when we got te Fort Miritix ah was so tired ah went straight te the inn te rest.  By the time ah'd finish'd restin' Lilly's friend 'ad already set off on 'er own wit' some stardust o' Beryl so ah didn't git the chance te meet 'er.  Wit' some o' the brutes ah seen on the way te the fort, ah 'ave te say Lilly's friend must be a whole lot braver than meself, e'en wit' me songs te make me unseeable ah felt right nervous jus' bein' there wit' Lilly.  Tried not te let it show though, 'specially when more friends o' Lilly's show'd up an' ask'd us te join 'em in sum 'xplorations.

Needless te say, ah was quite 'appy when we got back te the fort an' Lilly said she need'd te rest an' said ah could rest wit' 'er when ah ask'd ifn she want'd comp'ny.  'course ah 'ad no idea she meant te share the same bed an' well bein' ol' fash'n'd as ah am ah felt right uncomfort'ble 'bout that at first.  Ah did climb inte bed wit' 'er though all said an' done, an' ah 'ave te say it felt 'xileratin' te be so close te 'er.  Saweet dreams fer certain, though ah don' know 'ow ah manag'd te sleep!

Nehetsrev

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 09:00:12 am »
Entry 17 - Jenra 13, 1404

Well, ah'm a want'd man, mayhaps.  Not too sure though.  Lilly an' ah went te her home town, a place called Lannisport.  She was actin'a bit cantankerous an' upset a waitress there at the tavern, at first ah talk'd 'er out o' fightin' the woman, but as things would turn out...well ah'll git to that in a bit.  Anyway, seems Lilly 'as a problem wit' 'avin' confid'nce in 'erself back in 'er hometown, an' it don' help that most o' the locals there treat 'er wit no measure o' respect at all eith'r.  Sum half-wit Dwarf came te our table an' proposition'd Lilly as though she were a whore or sum such, which got me a bit ager'd meself.  Needless te say ah threw a plate o' food at the dwarf an' miss'd, an' 'e weren't too 'appy 'bout that, no sah!  We got inte a tussel an' 'e manag'd te make both Lilly an' h look like weaklin's, which ah confess ah am, but Lilly was quite 'urt from the insults.  We went outside, an' Lilly work'd 'erself inte a rage an' then charg'd back in, kickin' the door open on 'er way.  Ah didn't want 'er te git inte trouble wit' the law, but she went te wavin' 'round 'er scimit'r like she were goin' te kill sumone, so ah quick-like invis'd the dwarf who now seem'd a bit scar'd o' 'er, an' then the inn-keep who she threat'n'd next.  Afore ah could react, she charg'd inte te kitchen an' grabb'd the orn'ry waitress an' began te dunk 'er head in the wash-tub.  It weren't no pretty sight, an' ah did me best te break them up, but me best weren't nuthin' in the face o' Lilly's superior strength.  Finally Lilly let the wench go an' we made te git out, only te 'ave the guards show up on us.  They were gonna arrest Lilly, an' at first ah had half a mind te let 'em, but seein' them pin 'er down right brutishly, ah couldn't 'elp but do sumthin' so ah gave a magical pow'r'd shout what knock'd everah one down an' ah quickly pull'd Lilly te 'er feet as ah sung for me bird-friend te keep the guards distract'd.  She grabb'd 'er sword, an' ah sang agin te make us fast an' we beat feet outa town leavin' the guards behind us, but not afore Lilly stopped te chop on a door a couple times wit' 'er blade.

Now, ah ain' one te like fight'n much, at least not wit' most folks, but affer all that ah felt quite 'xillerated.  Lilly got sad though, an' lament'd 'bout 'ow she shouldn't a dun what she did te the waitress, an' she's right, she shouldn't 'ave.  We wand'r'd te Point Harbor an' decid'd te stay at the Freelancer's t'gether.  Maybe it's the country bumpkin in me, but ah dunno, there's jus' sumthin' fun 'bout gittin' inte a bar-fight.  Ah'm sure the black-eye ah got from the dwarf will look bettah in a few days, til then ah'll jus' 'ave te grin an bare it.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 08:03:57 am »
Entry 18 - Jenra 27, 1404

Ah'm lonely and worried.  Ah 'aven't seen Lilly since she left the Freelancer's affer our little adventure in Lannisport.  Ah've wander'd 'round  a bit lookin' fer 'er an' occupyin' myself wit' other things as best ah can since ah can't seem te find 'er.  Ah've start'd a new hobby as a result, fishin', an' ah ain't too bad at it fer a beginner.

Ah'll need te track down an' maybe hire sumone te git me more oak an' mahogany fer me intrument crafting, otherwise ah'll be stagnatin' in me skill there an' learn nothin' new.  Sure wish ah could wield a wood-cuttin' axe meself.  Ah 'spose it wouldn't make much difference no how seein' as all the good wood-bearin' trees are guarded by fierce beasts an' such.

Been tryin' te work on a new piece fer the Dragon's Whisper, an' ah think ah'm gettin' sumthin' close te complet'd.  Ah plan on honorin' Prunilla in me next column, so ah'll keep pluggin' away at the verse an' see ifn it comes t'gether fer me.  It's funny 'ow ah can make music almost wit'out thinkin' 'bout it, but when it comes te writin' verse ah 'ave such a 'ard time o' things it's a wond'r ah can evah git any put t'gether at all.

Ah found sumone in Pont Harbor what used te know great-grandpa Lyle, ifn only vaguely.  Seems a cold lead though as the man ah talk'd te said 'twer 'is sister what knew Ol' Lyle an' she'd dissappear'd sum years ago wit' 'er bastard child on the verge o' bein' born.  The fella said 'e figgur'd she'd left in shame an' nevah said who the childs fath'r was, but 'e'd suspect'd it might've been Ol' Lyle.  Ah didn't think it could've been Ol' Lyle the man knew though 'cause e' tol' me 'ow ol' his sister 'ad been an' she was awful young fer sumone as old as Ol' Lyle te be seein'.  The fella seem'd sure 'nuff 'bout it though when ah show'd 'im the miniature paint'd portrait o' me great-grandma wit' Ol' Lyle.  Anyway, 'e said Ol' Lyle 'ad only been 'round Point Harbor fer a couple years afore 'e left fer parts unknown 'bout 40 years ago.

Ah would like te 'ave gott'n a chance te ask 'round Lannisport 'bout ol' Lyle, given the population o' right-sized folk there, but wit' what 'appen'd wit' Lilly there ah don' dare show me face in Lannisport fer a while.  Maybe in a few months te a year ah'll be able te go back there wit'out no one rememberin' me an' makin' a big fuss.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 09:58:35 am »
Entry 19 - Mar 3, 1404

Well, ain' been 'venturin' much o' late, but ah did 'ave an' interestin' time at the Freelancers the oth'r night.  Lined meself up job o' sorts te sing an' play music fer 'em next Wedlar.  Ah'll 'ave te round out me repertoir wit' sum right fine tunes befittin' a place o' sailors an' such.  Aside from that ah talk'd te a few folks includin' Miss Lee 'bout my search fer Great-grandpa Lyle.  Seems there's a portal ah miss'd in me last trip te Blackford Castle that'll take one te where the Great Library ah'd 'eard 'bout is.  Ah'll 'ave te look inte that a bit more sumtime soon ah think, though ah doubt they'd 'ave records there o' Ol' Lyle.  Can't 'urt te look though.  Miss Lee also point'd me te another who might be able te help me, a right-saized lady by name o' Acacea, an' 'er friend Triba too.  She'd said Acacea knew where te find the 'hidden' clans o' our kind.  Maybe Ol' Lyle came from one o' them?  Ah dunno though.  From that last lead ah 'ad on 'im, ifn it were 'im, it would seem Ol' Lyle moves around a lot.  Still, there's a chance ifn ah find 'is clan, whatevah clan it might be, that sumone o' 'is kin will ken where e' might be found these days.  Still ain' got 'round te goin' te Luck te look fer 'im, so there's anuther place on me list ah need te look yet.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 07:39:51 am »
Entry 20 - Mai 5, 1404

Ah do declare, it's been a long time since ah wrote here.  Ah try te keep a merry attitude, but ah'm still waitin' for the day...

Ah now feel ah can boast a bit at bein' the second-best musical instrument crafter in all the land.  Ah'm told by those in the know that my instruments are second only te those made by the legendary Sniverous Coldpepper.  One day ah 'ope te rival e'en him, but the road te that time is still yet long.

On a bit o' a side note, an' ah have te laugh a bit 'bout this, ah got Freldo te be my 'pack-human' fer a bit when 'e volunteer'd te haul a bunch o' giant heads fer me te North Fort.  E'en Lilly 'ad a laugh 'bout that, an' o' course so did Freldo bein' the good 'umor'd fella 'e is.