The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Reflections  (Read 421 times)

ColtCommando

Reflections
« on: August 07, 2007, 01:01:47 pm »
*Cirol sits under a tree, evening approaching.  As the darkness begins to envelope the world Cirol casts a weak light cantrip to hold it back enough for him.*

The first place I got too from good old home in Spellgard, was Hlint.  How lucky for me there was a group of genuine adventureres, ploting their next outing right in the middle of town!  So if course I introduced myself, and they all seemed realy nice and friendly... Well the dwarf .. what was his name.... Bolt-something.. He was kinda gruff, but thats how dwarves are I guess, least thats what Dad says.  They spoke of harvesting Oak, and I offered my bow in assistance.  How fortunate for me they accepted quite readily.

And now I was on my first real adventure.  We headed back east out of hlint, and then north.  We passed some groups of kobolds on the way, wich were easily taken care of.  A little further along we ran into what the group called "birdmen".  They were nasty creatures, and I dare not get to close.  I stayed as far back as I could, and lobbed arrows into the fray, hitting one right above the beak, the party shouting back in praise.  This made me feel good, like I was actualy usefull for something.  

Just further north we entered te biggest forest I have ever seen.  It was such a peacful place, with all the plants and the animals living together happily.  We found the oak we were looking for and only chopped what was needed for a few instuments.  I guess thats what Boltor uses the oak for.  I fealt as if on a cload on the way back, my first real adventure, and I had even proven myself a good archer!

I was tired when we got back to hlint, and decided to retire to the Wild Surge (what an intersting name).  The party seemed to be going their seperate ways, so I didnt think I was going to miss anything.  The beds at the surge were terribly lacking, not like the soft cotton beds of Spellgard.

I must have slept for a long time, but it fealt realy good.  I emerged from my room to find the most beutiful hostess waiting on my every want.  I asked for some milk and bread, and she happily oblidged.  The fresh bread was delishious, and the milk was just right.  I walked back out into hlint one very satisfied elf.  

I organized my things and decided to continue on towards Port Hempstead, though I didnt make it far.  Just west of hlint I could hear the hum of voices, and as I got closer, sure enough, another group casualy conversing about their plans for adventure.  I was surprised still to see Boltor sitting lazily with the group, obviously having already used the last bit of oak we had just gathered.  

I ran up to the group and introduced myself to the people I didnt know.  Everyone I have met here seems so friendly.  Wouldnt you know they needed more oak!  This time they invited me along withought my even asking.  I felt so special, like I was needed.  Of course I agreed to go.  THis time we went to a different place with oak.  We traveled further west, running into a group of real mercinaries on the way to Llast, very mean people they are.  I dispatched one of the smaller ones all by myself as they rushed our group, making one less for those with sword and shield.

We traveled on past Llast, and past a great castle, until we reached the grove of oak.  There were so many dark cratures guarding it though.  Giant beetles of green and red, and giants spiders too!  I can feel the strength building in my left arm, and I can hear my old hickory bow creak and groan as I pull it back as far as I dare.  Boltor sugjested I find someone to make me a bow out of the oak we were harvesting.  He was so generous to give me some of the oak to use.  And now I must find someone to make it into a bow.

*his mind skips around from thing to thing, eventualy residing on a completely different though*

I dont know how it has happened, by my casting seems to have improved.  It is a feeling inside of me, like a great emotion being released.  I hadent cast anything in days, and I was begining to feel like a child who has eaten to many sweats, and is locked in his room.  There was so much pent up energy, and I did not know what to do with it.  I found that all I had to do was use my mind to concentrate on something, anything realy, and I could release small bits of the energy.  It was completely random what would happen though...  I tried to make a small light, but shot forth a small swath of flame from my hand.  It was intersting at first, but it wouldnt stop!  I shook my hand violently but it just kept burning.  When it finaly went out I fealt so incredibly drained, like I had no sleep for days.  

I need lots more practice with this...

ColtCommando

Re: Reflections
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 01:08:58 pm »
*Cirol lies in his room in the scamps mug, feeling rather sorry for his weak condition.*

Anyone who says casting isn't physical is fooling themselves. I've been practicing my spells with ought pause for a good week now. I am so exhausted, I wanted to continue my practice today, but despite a long nights sleep, Im burnt out. I know I have been using only my mind, but my body feels weak, like an old human.

I have begun to develop a sequence that allows me to control the energy I have inside.  If I do not concentrate the energy inside into something specific first, when I attempt to release it, the effects are completely random, and very difficult to control.

Concentrating the energy first makes things so much easier.  The energy upon release becomes an extension of my body.  I can control the ebb and flow of the energy just as well as I can control myself.  

My favorite spell so far is a very short lived one.  It requires a very large amount of my energy to manifest, and even so it lasts for a very short while.  It allows me to make at least one perfect shot, sometimes two.  It is rather difficult to explain realy.  Odly enough the initial focus must be that of my intended target, the feeling inside is the same no matter what I target, but I must concentrate on exactly what I want to hit.  Once I have the energy concentrated I dont even have to look at the target, just pull the arrow back and allow the energy inside to flow through my arms, down to my hands, and finally I assume into the arrow and bow.  As I release the shot I can feel the energy being pulled away from me with the acceleration of the arrow.  

It always hits the target, dead center, a perfect shot.  I can do it only a few times before I am completely spent, but it is one of the only spells I am realy interested in.

I have no desire to become a great master of manipulating the weave.  All I wish is to be able to channel the weave through my bow, and indeed through every arrow.

There is another new spell I have learned wich intruiges me greatly.  I have heard it refered to as "Magic Weapon", and basicaly it does just that.  When cast on a melee weapon it provides a small magical enhancement, weather that be a harder hammer, or a sharper blade.  Ive heard also that those with great skill in manipulating the weave are able to make this a very powerfull magical enhancement, as the power of the enhancement grows with the skill of the caster.  

Try as I might, though, I am unable to transfer the spells energy to my own arrows.  It works easily enough on a woodcutters axe, and even a butterknife, but when I try to "enhance" an arrow I am met with some kind of barrier, im not even sure how to explain it.

I belive in this spell lies a major key to understanding how to channel the weaves energy inside of me into the arrows I let fly.  Just a small change in how I concentrate the spells energy may be enough, but how...

*His thought finished, he lies his head back and quickly falls into a deep slumber*

ColtCommando

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 02:48:49 pm »
*Cirol wakes up, face down on a bearskin rug.  He is confused at first, but soon the fog of sleep clears, and he remembers how he got here.  He spots a comfortable looking desk and desides to make a journal entry.*

Yesterday was a great day!  I ran into Boltor again, and again he was sitting with a different group of people.  He is quite the social dwarf.  It seemed everyone had just finished up gathering some grains, and they were all retiring for the night.  

Yet when the pale young lass and I met eyes, she decided to stay and talk for a while.  Her name was Amireana, such a beutiful name, and a fitting one too.  We talked about our childhood, and growing up, traveling away from home, and finding our way in the world.  And yet she still seemed, upset, not sad, but as if there was something bothering her, deep inside.  

We wernt talking long when a creature came limping past us, it seemed sartled when it met eyes with, and hurried to get out of view.  It seemed like it needed help, limping pretty bad.  So me and Ami decided to try and find where it wandered off too.  

Soon we found it, hudled in a corner, trembling with fear.  I came up to it to try and help, but it did not understand my intentions, and understood even less common.  So we decided to lite a fire, and leave some food and medication nearby,  and then we moved back away from it, hoping it would understand.  Unfortunatly it was either to far gone, or just too scared, but it passed away before our very eyes.  It was a sad moment for both of us, no matter what it was, its hard to watch anything suffer like that.

Ami seemed heartbroken, she told me that when she was with the other group they were attacked by bugbears while gathering grain, and that this must have been one they did not kill.  We had little time to speak of it though, for a massive bugbear with a huge double axe came right up behind us.  We were so focused on what had just happened we didnt even notice until he was right ontop of us, demanding to know what had happened.

It didnt seem to listen much to what we had to say, it roared about us destrying its home, and killing its friends.  We tried to reason with it, and finally it agreed to take something in return, and spare our lives.  I gave it all the gold I had, and Ami too, about three thousand trues, more than enough for even a couple bugbears.  

But just when we thought we had it resolved a daring young adventurer happened along the path.  He seemed uninterested in the whole situation, he just wanted to vanquish the bugbears, and save the girl I imagine.  There was a tense couple of minutes as wel all argued back and forth, Ami and I just trying to end things peacibly, and the adventurer threatening at every turn.  The outcome was inevitable.  A second bugbear heard the commotion and wandered over, witch realy set things off.  It challenged the adventurer who quickly drew his sword and fought.  This threw the larger bugbear into a rage, and it turned on the adventurer too.  

It was obvious the poor guy was outmatched, so Ami had to step in, slashing at its back several times before it turned, leaving the dazed adventurer within an inch of his life.  Ami fought valiently, but the bugbear was so strong, and it would not yield.  

I knew what had to be done.  I closed my eyes and focused every bit of energy inside of me into an image of the bugbears ugly face, and then just its deep brown eye.  Holding this concentration I pulled an arrow back on my new bow, the oak moaning under the strain, and then release.  The arrow shot forth from my hand, pulling with it all the concentrated energy.  It struck true, right into the beasts eyesocket, sinking the shaft down to the fletching, the arrow tip emerging from the other side of its head.  Withought a sound the bugbear slumped to the ground, dead a doornail.  And just as it fell, I fell to.  My legs gave out all of a sudden, my whole body gone limp.  I fealt so drained.  

It took many minutes for us all to recover,  and we exchanged very few words after.  On his parting the adventurer gave Ami a flower, though she seemed disinterested.  It was growing late, and it was time for Ami to head home.  I asked her if she would like me to walk her there, and she seemed pleased that I asked, telling me she was staying in Fort Llast.  

We shared a beautiful silence on the way to her house.  We spoke very little, but were conected somehow, as if thinking of the same thing at the same time.  When we arrived at her house, she invited me in out of the rain.   We decided to sit in front of the fire for a while to warm up, and we continued our conversation from earlier.  She told me about her time here since she had left home, and of the dark elves that owned the house, and took her in.  She then told me of her adopted parents, and not knowing her own mother and father.  I knew this had to be what was making her upset, and I offered my help in away way possible.  For her rough warrior ways she is rather compasionate, and I wish we could have stayed there, just talking forever.  

But we were both to tired to go on.  She offered me a room, but I thought I would prefer staying right in front of the fireplace.  She understood, and told me her room was just up the stairs if I needed anything.  With the greatest sence of comfort and belonging I had fealt since I left home I fell into a deep slumber, and dreamt of Amireana all night long.

I think I will remeber this day for a long time yet...  Yesterday was my first day of happieness here.  Ive found someone to share myself with.  This "harsh" world of my fathers stories isnt turning out so harsh afterall.

*He carefully puts his things away and starts preparing some breakfast for the still sleeping Amireana*

ColtCommando

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 01:05:12 pm »
*Cirol sits in a small room in the Wild Surge, meding his wounds, and stitching his torn armor*

So much has happened this week, I struggle to remember it all. First, the happy story.

I was wandering through Hempstead like I usualy do, looking for someone to talk to. Just outside the main gates I found a group of adventurers, and sure enough Boltor was with them! They were all standing around a sign, it had a riddle on it.. written by a fairy. It was typical of a fairies riddle, and the search was on for the location it described.

The dwarves could swear they new the place described, up in the Brecht mountains, so it was there we decided to search first. We fought our way through many white beasts, my new bow prooving its usefullness. Finally we made it to the frozen town of Brenuth, and the small pond we thought described. After an exhuastive search of Brenuth, and the surrounding areas it was decided that this was in fact, the wrong place. A druid traveling with the group, Khuren, said he though he knew a place that fir the description, so we decided to travel all the way acrost Mistone, to the foothills just outside Haven Castle.

The Druid was right, and there was found the object of riddle. A small blue diamond, a lucky charm of sorts. It was not long after its finding that a fairy showed up, and indeed the same fairy that wrote the riddle. It had a proposition of sorts, take a reward now, or take a seat at the "table of riddle" along with two others that had passed such a test as we had, in competition for a greater prize. We decided we could not reach a decision, so the dice were broken out. A small halfling won the roll, and as is their nature opted for the immediate treasure, witch was a decidedly mundane bastard sword.

Having had our adventure for the day, everyone began to head their seperate ways. I made my way towards Hempstead, but I got as far as Hlint, when I met a pair of stout adventurers. I intoduced myself, and soon found that they were related in some way (exactly how I did not ask) Sala, and Jako Stonehill, were their names. We stood and talked for a short while, and it was not long that a few other wandering adventueres happened along the path. The Stonehills spoke of an undead, named Storan, and a ring wanted by a wizard not far from Hlint. I said I would gladly give my bow in aid, and I was invited along.

We made our way to the foothills just west of Hlint, and there an entrance in the side of a mountain. It was a dark and smelly place, packed with the most ravenous undead creatures I have ever seen. We made our way through the first rooms, until we came to a locked door. I though Navi might be able to get through, so I coaxed her out of the bag ive been carying, and had her give it a shot. She was so close, but alas it was just to complicated, and the first mechanism would lock tight just as the last was picked. So we moved on to another room, this one filled to brim with mummies. I fired shot after shot into their thick coverings, but the mummies seemed completely unnafected, although those that had "magic weapon" cast upon their blade cut through them just fine. I was in complete envy the entire time, I must figure this riddle of arrows and weave.

So we emerged from the undeads resting place victorious, but decidedly ringless. We made plans to return later with one who can pick such locks, and then went our seperate ways. A few stuck around though, and a very pretty lass by the name of Laaren asked if we might venture into the red light goblin caves. She spoke of a dwarf in Fort Wayfare that offered a great reward for the red light leaders head. We agreed we should give it a shot, and began that way...

It was an uneventfull decent until we reached the second level. A goblin riding a black beast resembling a wolf rode up behind us. He had a strange proposition indeed. He told us that the goblin overlord wished to make a deal, with great reward. He needed someone able to walk the streets of hlint, but the goblin would tell us no more. He said only that if we made it to the goblin leader we were worthy of his request, so we ventured on to find the leader.

It was not far though that our decent was met with folly. We reached a room with goblins of firce pedigree, they fought like machines, we stood no chance. I watched my allies fall ahead of me, and it was not long before I was the only one left.

Five goblins of the fircest kind rushed my positions. I knew I would have but one shot before I had to run, and it had to count. I looked carefully at the lead goblins face and then closed my eyes, focused on the image. Concentrating hard I pulled an arrow back as far as I could, my own arms trembling under the enormous strain. In that moment I released, feeling the arrow as it left my finger tips, and flew downrange. It struck the lead goblin square in the face, the force of the shoft lifting it from the ground, and sending it sprawling backwards, most certainly dead. This paused the following goblins just long enough for me to turn and run. And run I did.

I ran as fast as my feet would cary me, the cave walls rushing past, my only focus was that last opening, with the hint of light from outside. Just as I was reaching the exit I looked back over my shoulder, and was greeted with a sheer swarm of menacing goblins, just at my heels. I knew I could not stop, or even slow down. I bursted out of the entrance, and spoted the walls of Hlint, seemingly my only safety. I surged towards the gates, I could see the latch, I was so close.

A stabbing pain shot down my back as a goblin arrow pierced deep into my shoulder. My feet still staggered forward, the gate blurred and began to turn red, with each laboring step though, it seemed to grow further away. The yell of a goblin about to strike, and then everything goes black.

And then I wake up here, on a table in the Surge, a hostess standing at my side with a wet towel, wiping down my swaeting brow with the most soothing of voices. She hums steadily as she watchs over my mangled body. I began to sit up, but her soft touch held me back down. "what you need right now is rest, its allright, just lie back and relax, everything will be better soon" And with that I drifted back into sleep, to wake up again in this room. Some basic medical supplies, a needle and thread lieing neatly at the foot of the bed. My bow leans against the wall, underneath it the tattered remains of my leather armor.

As I look at the bow my thoughts drift to images of a true arcane archer, standing proud in the face of the stampeeding goblins, releasing arrow after arrow in rapid succession, a burning white light at the tip of each, leaving a streaking trail, like shooting stars. Cirols mind drifts around the image lazily, seeming to randomly focus around the scene, following an arrow to the target, the look on the last goblins face, then back to the aparent grin on the archers face. He doesnt recognize the face at first, but as the image becomes clear it is plain to see, the archer is Cirol.

*Just as he makes this realization he wakes up, falling out of bed with the sudden jolt. He clamours to a sitting position, and tries to calm his shaking nerves. His underwear is soaked with sweat, and so too is the bedding.*

*As he calms down he tries not to think of his dream too much, grabbing up the needle and thread, he begins to stitch his armor back together, anything to keep his mind from stray thoughts.*

ColtCommando

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 07:58:34 pm »
*Cirol wakes up with a jolt, finding himself slumped over a table in the Wild Surge, drool driping down his face, and all over his arm. He slowly shakes off the slumber, and wipes himself off. After ordering some breakfast he opens his notebook to make an entry*

Not a day goes bye that I dont meet someone new. And everyone I meet is so friendly and polite. Hardly the harsh place dad made it out to be. I ran into a paladin named Ian the other day, determined to cleanse the entire gloomwood. He seemed truly upset that such a place was so cursed, and wretched. We fought side by side deep into the wood, sending many undead back to where they belong.

I found that the zombies were so slow, I could slay two or three of a group coming towards us before they ever got close enough to touch. I think the stronger oak is realy improving my pull. It is still very difficult to pull back, and I know im not using all it has to offer yet, but I get closer everyday.

On the way out we ran into another group of adventurers trying their hand angainst the undead, they seemed though to be doing in more for training and sport, than for a desire to cleanse the woods. Cal, and Westany were their names. Cal seemed to have a facination with a monk named Drexia who ive never met before. He spoke frequently of a need to find gold, so he could buy her things, wich I found rather odd, considering she is a monk and all.

On our way out we spotted a cave, and decided to explore. Inside was a gooey, slimy, disgusting excuse for a cave. It smelled bad, was warm and humid, with a darkness pieced only by the erie glow of those that dweled inside. Sticky gobs of the slime that covered everything seemed to come to life, attacking from anywhere they saw fit, the floor, the cieling, the very walls. At one point it seemed the entire ceiling came down ontop of me in a massive gooey slimeball. I fired an arrow up into as it came down, but it was about as useless as a toothpick. The mass of slime hit me like a ton of bricks, sticking me to the ground like a mosquito stuck in so much sap. I fought with everything I had to get through it, and my party members dug in from the outside, barely did we reach eachother before I passed out from suffocation.

The lake just outside the woods, near Vehl didnt appear to be that much cleaner, but I dove in anyway, I just had to get the slime off. After that I sat by the fire for a while, said my goodbyes to everyone as they left, and tried to get dry. Realizing how futile my effort was, and how dirty I was still, I decided to head for Hlint, and a proper bath.

I grew a chill on the way, and decided to warm by the fire outside Hlint for a while. While I lied there and gazed at the stars I began to think of a story my mother once told me of an archer of the weave that she had met in her journeys. No sooner than I had begun the thought a most beutiful woman -dressed all in green, and carying a baby no less- walked up to the fire, oviously seeking warmth for her child, or what I assumed was her child. We introduced ourselves, and I made some faces at the baby, witch glowed with that baby innosence.

I asked her if it was her child, and she said it was a long story. I told her I had nowhere to go, and would love to hear. So she preceeded to tell me of a dark and stormy night, and a caravan strewn about the Ft. Llast road, obviously the work of orcs. They found a pregnany woman among the wreckage, who was amazingly still alive, and going into labot to boot. They moved the woman to the safest place reasonable, and comforted her through the night while she gave birth to not one, not two, but FOUR children. It was apparently too much for the woman, who died shortly after. Arynne told me of an orphanage in Mariners Hold, where three of the babies were taken, though by then she could not let the child go. It had grown on her tremendously in the short time they had together, and she could not bear to give it up to the uncertain future of an orphan.

And so the baby was hers, adopted or no, she loved it as her own. We spent the evening under the clear night sky and Ian, the paladin from earlier even showed up, thouroly enthrawled by the newborn. After a long night of conversation we retired to the Surge, as it was getting late, and the young needed a bath almost as bad as I did. I took a seat close to Ragrian, who was singing a soft tune that quickly lulled me into a deep slumber.

Well, come to think of it, I havent taken that bath yet....

*he closes his notebook, tucking it neatly away in his leather armor. He grabs a bucket, and heads outside to fetch some fresh water for a bath*

ColtCommando

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 04:57:22 pm »
*Cirol sits in the Surge again, his discheveled appearence and torn armor becoming a regular sight.  He labors over a notebook, with a half-eaten bowl of stew steaming nearby*

What a day... what a day.  It seems not everything I stumble into out here in the world is as nice and understanding as I have come to believe.  First the bugbear, and now kobolds.  

I met Eander again, just leaving Hlint after getting myself all patched up.  He spoke of a need to mine some copper, and the red light cave was completely blocked closed.  So we decided to head for the cave in the Silkwood.  Upon entry, though, we were severly ambushed.  Before we could even say a word a sticky geletin fell from the cieling, nearly engulfing us both, and to make things worse there was an entire Kobold warparty, charging down our necks.  We managed to keep them at bay with our combined bows, and freed ourselves from the nasty muck.

Having scouted the area and deciding it was clear, we went ahead and started to mine.  It was not minutes after we had started though, that a single kobold, magiced up as much as I had ever seen, came right up to us.  It seemed rather upset that were mining its copper, although I dont think it was upset at us for defending ourselved from the ambush.  At first the kobold was unyielding, and wanted to chase us out.  But I asked it if it would take gold in return for letting us mine some of its copper.  It thought about it for a moment, and when it eyed the rather large sack of coins I had it couldnt resist.  

I thought everything was going to be fine then... but Eander had different plans.  He obviously does not like Kobolds, in the least.  He acctualy tried to force the Kobold to give the gold back!  I knew we were in for trouble now.  The kobold made everything pitch black, and when the darkness subsided we were surounded by another ambush.  We had them all eating arrows, and soon all was quiet again.  Eander seemed to be rather perturbed that I would even consider paying a kobold, using what had just happened as his reasoning.  I knew if he had not over reacted it wouldnt have happened, but the fact of the matter was the Kobold took a large sum of gold for payment to mine, and then preceeded to try and kill us.  Regarless of the circumstances, he basically just stole my gold, and lied to me to try and get us both killed.  

Eander was happy I was starting to see things his way, and I have to admit my anger got the best of me.  We pressed deep into the cave, salying everything in our way.  When we got to the very end, and didnt find the sneaky rat we knew he had to be holed up in the hut.  I banged on the door violently, and called him out.  But he was too much of a coward.  I even tried to have Navi pick the lock so I could get in there and get my gold back at least, but she was unable.  So we left the mine, frustrated, and short on gold.  

Just as we were leaving a crow flew down to us, a note tied to its leg.  Sure enough it was from Boltar, he was in Vehl and was looking for some help in a trip to the Dragon Isles.  Me and Eander were both eager to go, having only heard stories of the place.

This trip though, was a dastardly one.  We fought our way acrost the insland and were met with turmoil at almost every turn.  The last thing I remember was shooting an Owlbear in the throught just before its massive paw raked me to the ground.  And I woke up here.  The hostess worries for me, she had pleaded for me to stay a while and regain my stregth before I venture out again, I think I shall take her advice.

*Cirol closes the notebook and tucks it under his arm, leaving the now cold bowl of stew on the table he stumbles lazily, limping on one leg back to his now farmiliar room.*

ColtCommando

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 06:28:44 am »
*Cirol has been spending alot of time time in bed, since his unfortunate recent adventure.  Most his waking hours are spent huddled in the corner of the Surge, wrapped in a heavy blanket, clutching a steaming cup of tea in both hands.  He lets his imagination run free as Ragrian spins melodious tales of dragons and fair maidens.*

*During one of these gentle moments, letting his mind wander to his distant home in Spellgard.  What were his parents doing right now he wondered.  Memories from home floated through his mind, seemingly at complete random.  His concentration pausing on a particular memory for reasons unknown.  Cirol sits with his first "real" bow clutched close to his body, sitting on his bed, his mother there next him, an arm over his shoulder.  She begins the tale where she had finished the last time*

Mmmm, so where were we last time...

It was a bright morning in Fort Homestead, and so I decided today I would continue on.  It was a short walk to the Erilyn River, and I was on my way.  It was a beautiful walk up the river, to the Lake of Glass.  White stags roamed peacfully, and there was a small house right on the lake.  Venturing past the lake I soon came to a most beautifull grove, it was filled with flowers in full bloom, dotted with trees and other shrubs.  A lone nymph wandered the grove, tending to the plants and animals with care.  Just past this grove was the rusty river, winding its way through the wolfswood.  After crossing I came upon another serene clearing, this one with a large treestump with a door hung on one side.  I knocked lightly, and was surprised to see it swing open, the smiling face of another elf on the other side.  He beckoned me in, where we shared a light drink and some vegtable.  You see he was the druid of the forest, and protected all the living things within.  He was a caring gentle man, and his wife ever so accomodating.  He warned me against walking through tall grass, or wandering into the many caves dotting the forest.  It is truly a place of beauty, but one must have great caution, for fell creatures lurk in the shadows, ready to strike when you least expect.

So I continued my wandering.  I soon came acrost a large clearing, covered end to end with the tall grass the druid had just warned me of.  I decided to walk around until something out of place in the grass struck my eye.  It was the fletching of an arrow.  I moved the grass aside and found that it was piercing a very large blue snake that lie dead in the grass.  The arrow seemed to glow with a radient energy.  Sure enough upon deper concentration I could feel the weaves presence in she shaft.  The arrow of an Arcane Archer no doubt.  Against my better judgement I decided to investigate further.  Sure enough there was a trail of dead snakes to be followed, all stuck with a similar arrow.  I made myself unseen as the trail led into a dank cave.  I peered inside the darkness, remembering the druids words.  My curiosity though, would not be disuaded.  I ventured into the cave, confident in my sheeth of invisibility.

It was not a long treck in until I found what dweled inside.  Massive hairy black spiders crawled along the walls and cieling, mysteriously avoiding the ground, as if to lure unsuspecting prey.  I was just about to turn back when I heard a sound that cought my ear.  It was as if a muffled voice.  I could sence the urgency in its tone, and I had to press on.  Moving causiously deeper and deeper inside a substance seemed to be covering the walls.  It was the spiders silk, massed in places where obviously their last meal had been bound. The sound became louder and louder as I decended deeper into the cave.  I came to a large opening in the cave, there were spiders everywhere.  You could hardly see anything besides bodies and legs, from floor to cieling.  And then I saw him.  A head could be seen faintly on the opposite side of the cavern.  The whole body was covered in thick white silk, and so too was the mouth.  I could see the intense fear in his eyes.  Time was running out, as I watched a spider much larger than all the rest lumbing towards the victim, whos sqeals became even greater as it did.  

All at once I made my decision.  I broke my invisibilty as I conjured a great ball of fire, sending it flying into the mass of spiders closest to me.  There was agreat flash as it went off, and the sound of hundreds of screaching spiders.  A haze filled the room, and within seconds a mob of spiders emerged from the smoke.  With all the energy I could muster I unleashed raw magical power.  Balls of pure energy shot forth from my outstretched hands, each finding its way to a different target, the sea of spiders and magical energy colided with tremendous force, flowing into one onather in a massive front.  A pile of mangled legs and bubling insides began to grow, until finally it all stopped.  There was a moment of silence, and then a the queen erupted through the pile of bodies, comeing down on me like a sudden storm.  With the last bit of energy I had left a white hot cone of fire erupted from my hands, engulfing the massive creature.  The cone flickered and dissapeared as my last remaining energy fizzled out.  But the damage was done, the great spider was alite, it writhed in agony as it popped and sizzled, slowly dieing a most excrutiating death.  

When the smoke had cleared I stumbled acrost the room.  A handfull of robe covering my face to breath I made my way to the trapped archer.  I nearly fell apart as I saw his face once more.  The eyes were closed, head slumped forward.  I cut at the webs franticly, finally realeasing their hold as the body slumped to the floor.  I put my ear to his face and almost feighnted as I heard the faint whisps of a breath. He was still alive!  I did the only thing I could.  Grabbing his arms in my own I began draging him from the cave, the spiders further up the cave giving us a wide berth.  It seemed like hours, but I would not let myself give up.  I was making my way ever so slowly to the druids hut once more, it was the only place I could think of.

I made it there in the dead of night.  Pounding on the door frantically I could see a light lit inside, and then the door swung open wide.  THe druids face was ready to erupt in anger until he saw the body behind me, with a look of sudden realization he helped me drag the poor thing inside.  We got him up on a couch in the main room, and soon the druid had his wife tending to the mans wounds.  Me and the druid talked long into the night about the encounter, he seemed to know the elf well, and was very surprised that he had sucumbed to such a fate.  He offered me to stay for the night, and I happily accepted.  

I did not wake until late afternoon the next day.  I was greated by the druids wife with some warm food and a cold drink.  I ate acrost the room from the elf, who was indeed reocovering.  We looked at eachother from acrost the room, our eyes locked together in silence.  After I finished my meal I went to sit next to him.  I sat and held his hand in my own for a time, the man obviously to weak to even speak.  He just gazed back at me as I looked at him, despite the obvious discomfort he had a half smile as we sat together.  The druid came back into the house with a large load of plants of all types.  He retired into another room, obviously to prepare something.  

*My mother pauses in thought as she fiddles with a ring she has on, it is one half of a two piece ring, and she seemes comforted by its feel*

The druid came back with a kit of sorts.  All kinds of prepared regents and bandages.  He put a comforting hand on my shoulder, reasuring me he would be well in due time.  Knowing it was not my place to stay I decided to leave him with something to remember me by, as we never had a chance to introduce ourselves, or even say hello.  I pulled off the other half of the ring here *as she continues to play with the half she wears* and held it in his palm, closing his hand over it with mine.  He gripped it tightly, and I knew he understood.  Before I left I asked the druid of his name.  He told me he did not know his true name, but that all in the forest knew him as Longshot, wanderer of the wolfswood.  

*I lie asleep againt my mothers arm, who tucks me into bed with care.  With a whispered "I guess that is all for tonight" she blows out the lights and heads for bed herself*

*Cirol decides it is time to return home, he has recovered well enough from his injuries.  He knows he must find a true archer of the arcane to teach him their subtle ways, and he will return home to seek his mothers blessing in tracking down Longshot, the wanderer.*

anything