The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Half Giant, Half Ogre Weapons Idea  (Read 368 times)

xXDenizeNXx

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
Half Giant, Half Ogre Weapons Idea
« on: March 08, 2006, 09:13:28 am »
I was wondering, would it be too much of an imbalance to add in the future Giant sized two handed weapons? I envision something along the lines of them doing twice the damage of the normal counterpart but are two handed meaning no shield of course and only usuable by Giant sized Pc's? I just have visons of Dimmy waltzing down the street carrying a Great Axe that is bigger then any 2 normal humans hehe. Not that I am whining mind you HG's and HO's dish out alot of damage as it is but it is just an idea i had and thought about how HG's and HO's take such a int hit they have no chance of imp expertise or imp knockdown etc so they maybe could compensate by dishing out alot of damage but the down side is having no shield they will take alot of hits. So there is an up side and a down side to the implementation, maybe it is a bad idea too HG's i know for a fact dish out alot of pain as it is, but still can't get that image of a house sized axe outta my head lol.
Peace
Den

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Half Giant, Half Ogre Weapons Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 09:41:29 am »
Just increasing the size category of the weapons? Sure, that could be done; I imagine, if the team decides to, that it'll be implemented into the next version.

Damage Increases...

1d4
1d6
1d8
1d10 / 2d4
1d12
2d6
2d8
Etc.

Just a rough idea, based on my memories of larger/smaller weapons from PnP.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 10:28:54 am »
in the 3.5 DnD Dungeon Master's Guide, there is a nice table for difference in damage amounts for weapons of different sizes.  If I recall, a Large Greatsword and a Large Greataxe both do 3d6 points of damage, bumping up from the 2d6 and 1d12.

xXDenizeNXx

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 03:09:57 pm »
see now thats pretty cool, like is said I wanted to see it more for aesthetic purposes then power...couldn't you just see Pig or Dimmy etc walking down the street with this HUUUUUGE flial or axe? cracks me up to imagine it and how people would stop even more and go whoa!

Varka

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 11:00:59 pm »
I agree with you that giants and ogres - should give more dmg but I believe Layo did try to do this by giving more str.

If you would like to see changes like this, then you have to look at a really big big picture here. For all races, size and wepons.
I recall in PnP that there was a page (or even pages) where all weapon dmg was written compared to the size of the  creature.....and that was a lot...
A change like this is almost impossible... (nothing is impossible)

So if the ekstra str. is made by "Layo"..to show ogres hit harder/having a bigger weapons.....I dont see a change is ...is ...is needed ;)

Further - think about the hp system .......I believe an ogre (does not matter which lvl) would have far more hp than any halfing ever would have ;) - Think realistic.......
Then the next quest: Does hp show how good you are in battle to aviod hits?...because being hit a 100000 times by a greatsword and you are still stading as nohting happened ;).come on - - -- sorry for that "turn" in the post here.....

And more and more questions can be asked........trying to hold the balance in a game by simple and few change can be made.....as I see it

xXDenizeNXx

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 12:23:20 am »
True true, i see what  your saying, our team is already overworked and underpaid.....*whips crack in the distance* Back to work ya scallywags!!....

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 07:59:13 am »
if it's any consolation, Denizen, it's likely you'll see weapon categories arranged like you are suggesting in NWN2, as it's based off of 3.5 DnD, which fixed some of the issues with weapon damage and size categories from 3rd ed.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 12:37:58 pm »
And do we know yet if Layo will ever make the transition to NWN2?

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 05:22:48 pm »
Stephen_Zuckerman - 3/10/2006  1:37 PM

And do we know yet if Layo will ever make the transition to NWN2?

Its being looked into, but no final decision has been made and its unlikely that a decision can be made before the game comes out.  Remember that they claimed that NWN1 was going to have Lin/Mac/Win all in one box up untill it hit the stores.  So, its going to require seeing what *acctually* makes it into the product.

-

As for different size category weapons:  They could be made.  It would mean a new base type for each one though.  A huge greataxe would not be the same "weapon type" as a greataxe.  Another huuuge problem with creating new base types in NWN1 (due to the way bioware constructed it) is that any new base type other than the default basetypes will not work with any weapon specific feats.  Weapon Focus, Weapon Spec, Improved crit etc.  There is no way to fix this short of re-writing a good deal of biowares code (i.e. not going to happen.)

So yeah, as was said, this will probably wait till NWN2.

xXDenizeNXx

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 08:38:47 pm »
Ack! well yeah that would be wayyyy too much work, and i cannot even imagine the headaches lol NwN 2 eh can't wait.

Faldred

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 09:48:57 am »
For balance, if there are going to be giant-sized weapons with extra damage, then I think that they will *have* to be two-handed weapons (with no 1.5x multiplier) that prohibit the use of a shield.  There needs to be some trade-off.

Harloff

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 02:56:19 am »
Well the half giant has ECL 3 that must be considered a trade-off. But I agree it would be unlogical to give the half giantstwo handed weapons that could deal more damage and still allowing them to use these weapons in one hand.

xXDenizeNXx

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 09:52:08 pm »
yeah well Faldred if you read my original post it was always proposed that the weapon/(s) would be two handed meaning no shield, but as was also discussed, since nwn 2 will be using the DnD 3.5 system the rules for Giant sized weapons may already come in the standard ruleset, hecne no giant sized weapons for layo v2 but maybe if we update to NWN 2 I could get my wish. It's all good anyways input is always appreciated :)
Peace

crazedgoblin

RE: Half Giant, Half Ogre Weapons Idea
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 01:07:43 pm »
i think they should have special crossbows to fire quicklings from hahah

anything