The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Bear Warrior Black Bear form  (Read 134 times)

Falreign

Bear Warrior Black Bear form
« on: October 01, 2005, 06:46:00 pm »
It got dispelled by a Paladin's Remove Disease ability which was used to remove my poison from a dire spider. No idea if other shape shifters get these problems.

EDIT : Also everytime after I transform and go into a new area I get spammed with "Cannot equip this item messages"

Oh yeah and the dire spider poison DC must be a glitch because no one can beat a 29 at its level range :P

Thunder Pants

RE: Bear Warrior Black Bear form
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 02:25:00 am »
umm remove desease wont remove the poison, now if it was a DM heal ability it heals all penalties, but carries the side effect of removing all buffs and shifting you back to your original shape

Falreign

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 04:02:00 pm »
Well thats why I posted it in the bugs now didnt I?  :o

It made the dingdingding sound of the remove disease and the effects, the paladin who casted it on me didnt contradict me when I assumed it was remove disease.

Falreign

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »
Turns out lesser restoration did this as well from a cleric of good alignment.

Falreign

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 08:11:00 pm »
Animal Language does not apply to the bear warrior while in Black Bear form. I do not know if this works as desired or not.

I think I am going to post more about the bear warrior on this seeing as how I dont see many others playing it and dont know if you guys have any questions about balance issues while playing it.

Also scent is very fun :)

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 08:33:00 pm »
Falreign - 10/14/2005 10:11 PM Animal Language does not apply to the bear warrior while in Black Bear form. I do not know if this works as desired or not. I think I am going to post more about the bear warrior on this seeing as how I dont see many others playing it and dont know if you guys have any questions about balance issues while playing it. Also scent is very fun :)
Are you using the language ear? Or are you just expecting to speak in animal when in bear form?

Falreign

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 01:26:00 am »
I dont receive an animal ear for it while in bear or otherwise. I try using it the way an ear is used but there isnt anything.

Dorganath

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 07:58:00 am »
Well, that's likely the issue then.  The animal ear isn't just granted because you're in bear form or capable of taking bear form. 
  Rangers and Druids get the ear by default, and druids can change their forms, but that has more to do with training and their closeness with nature than simply that they can change forms.  Polymorph doesn't grant a wizard the ability to speak troll, for example.
  The bear warrior is more about strenth and power in battle, and less about being a creature of nature. However, if there is an RP reason for you to have an ear, and your RP supports that, then you can always request one.  I believe this has been done once before by a Bear Warrior character.

Falreign

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 03:25:00 pm »
I see that makes sense. I just would have figured since my vocal cords were changed to not be able to manage speak his natural intincts would have been implemented in his brain, seeing as how animals exist primarily off instincts, and he would use this for communication. But no worries.

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 05:54:00 pm »
if a bear was turned into a human, could it then speak english, or would it likly have to learn as a child might. So if you turn into a bear, should you not have to learn to use your new vocal cords?

Dorganath

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 06:04:00 pm »
*points up*  What Logan said.
  You could RP learing the animal language.  As they stand, however, the Bear Warrior is not about talking with the squirrels but rather rending one's enemies with powerful bites and claws.  Communication is optional.  The physical transformation in no way imparts knowledge of language or a proficiency with a given language. 
  You can, however, over time learn the animal language.  You need to let a GM know this is your intention and basically RP such learning over the span of at least one RL month...usually more.

Falreign

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 06:07:00 pm »
Seeing as how human langauges are much more different and complex than a universal animal langauge I dont agree. Simply put if every single animal found a way to speak the same language in every part of the world I would assume it to be like insinctual grunts and gestures that allow you to understand them. Humanoids made many different languages through time. Now do you see how I am relating this Logan?

Dorganath

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 06:38:00 pm »
Well...that there would be a universal animal language is something of a stretch too, as different animals have different levels of intelligence, different abilities in terms of how they can communicate, socialize, etc.  It's a device and an oversimplification that fits a fantasy setting.  In truth, if there truly were an animal language, the vocabulary would be greatly limited, because animals simply lack the ability for abstract thought as we do.  Concepts are very simple.  Instinct is everything, but instinct doesn't let the deer ask the rabbit where the best-tasting grass grows.
  Bears, incidentally, aren't known for communicating with other creatures.  More likely, they're going to be eating said creatures.  THAT is their instincts, not a grunt and a shake of the ear that means "Hey....what's happening?"
  Being able to make the sounds and being able to take those sounds and produce communication are two very different things.

Falreign

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 07:09:00 pm »
Hmm well although I see truth in what you say there are some things that all creatures whether man or beast can share a common understanding to without needed to be told it by another of its kind. For instance showing your teeth and growling shows threat or anger. What to eat and where to eat comes natrually although I dont really think any creatures would ask another what it tasty but ask if anything that thinks they are tasty is nearby.

Anyway around it I dont mind not having the language seeing as how I dont have much to say to other animals but it would be nice to speak with druids while in bear form and let them talk for me instead of making so many gestures all the time.

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 07:25:00 pm »
oh darn... isent role playing soch a bugger... 8)

Dorganath

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 07:29:00 pm »
Falreign - 10/15/2005 9:09 PM Anyway around it I dont mind not having the language seeing as how I dont have much to say to other animals but it would be nice to speak with druids while in bear form and let them talk for me instead of making so many gestures all the time.

To repeat myself:

You can, however, over time learn the animal language.  You need to let a GM know this is your intention and basically RP such learning over the span of at least one RL month...usually more.
 Until then, snarl, growl, and *emote* the things that animals do.  Chances are, someone will get the idea.

Falreign

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 10:17:00 pm »
I finally got the brown bear form I had been hoping for and was quite disappointed. My color is different. I dont even think I gained STR or Con. Get an STR of 31 which I actually think is less than the druid form of brown bear and still have an ac low enough that kobolds still hit me if I dont put on all of my short and temporary magical buffs before transforming.

So I came to the conclusion that I could have a druid, take away all of his very useful spells and all other transformations; wolf, cat, elemental, bird and gave him an extra attack and possibly four more hitpoints per level you get this bear warrior here. As far as usefullness goes I am getting the feeling this bear buisiness is pretty weak.

Dont get my wrong, I love my character as far as RPing fun goes but what fun is it if I die all the time?  Guess thats why this all sounds like a big complaint. With seven DTs at level eleven I dont think I will be able to make him into the leader I dream he could be. A halfling who can get some more people motivated to be bear warriors and a lot less people would want to be a bear warrior if they are so heartily nerfed.

Dorganath

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2005, 12:27:00 am »
Well, this has clearly moved out of the domain of a bug report...but to address your complaint...
  The brown bear (creature) in-game has a 27 STR, a natural AC bonus of 5 and a Dex of 13.  I'm not sure what you're expecting a brown bear to be, but a tank it is not. If your bear form works like the druid one, then your equipped armor, weapons and other items/buffs get factored into the mix.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 02:31:00 am »
Falreign - 10/22/2005  11:17 PM
So I came to the conclusion that I could have a druid, take away all of his very useful spells and all other transformations; wolf, cat, elemental, bird and gave him an extra attack and possibly four more hitpoints per level you get this bear warrior here. As far as usefullness goes I am getting the feeling this bear buisiness is pretty weak.

Take away all a clerics spells, give him an extra attack per round by level 20, and only two more hp per level and you get the fighter class.  BAB and HP are fairly important.

-TV

orth

Re: Bear Warrior Black Bear form
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2006, 02:25:38 pm »
Bear Warrior Forms have been given some major fixes due to some oversights with testing.  Claws and Bites are more powerful as they progress, Natural AC is higher and some increased CON.