The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: run away ox - ox on a lead not following  (Read 571 times)

Stranzini

run away ox - ox on a lead not following
« on: December 09, 2005, 07:23:00 pm »
I am posting here and not in grievance although this bug has just cost me
the contents of my ox pack. I reckon I will be able to reacquire what was in
the pack with work and time.

But, the bug is annoying for the loss it creates. It would be nice if it
didn't happen again...

I left the craft house in Hlint and put my ox on lead with a 10 foot rope.
We went through Hlint (one transition inside Hlint) and out the north gate
(gate transition from Hlint to the north). I started down the road toward
Moraken's tower. The ox just headed straight north as soon as we went
through the transition out of Hlint and just kept on going
all the way to the orc camp. It did not in any way follow me, just headed
straight out on its own and never stopped.

Until the orcs spawned and swarmed us, killing me and presumably the ox
who was off to the north where I could no longer seeh him. When I returned with help to get my grave, the ox was gone.

The bug is oxen on 10 foot lead who just run away, perhaps after going
through a transition?

This occurred about 2 Am GMT on 10 dec.

Stephen_Zuckerman

RE: run away ox - ox on a lead not following
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 09:22:00 pm »
Well, I've seen that sort of glitch happen with the Follow command with PCs, before it was ripped from the Emote list...

Seems there are a lot of problems with the oxen, these days.

NOW who's crazy for locking his ox in a paddock with traps on the door? HUH!?  ;)

Eloyn

• Followers of Az'atta
    • Followers of Mist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 09:53:00 pm »
It is a glitch I believe caused by lagg and happens all the time.  The ox will port to you once it hits a wall...unless it dies...No way really around it.

Stranzini

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 07:32:00 am »
Well in that sector, hes gonna die before he hits a wall.

In lots of sectors he would die.

So oxen are basically unreliable storage chests with legs?

EdTheKet

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 08:30:00 am »
So oxen are basically unreliable storage chests with legs?

Yes, because they're not meant for permanent storage.
  However, normally the ox doesn't get killed so maybe your ox is still alive and a logging in and out will make him show up. You can check at the ox merchant, if he offers to sell you a new one, he's dead, if not, not.

Eloyn

• Followers of Az'atta
    • Followers of Mist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 03:09:00 pm »
The idea is to help carry CNR things, like if you go get ore, use it to carry it.  But you have to be careful that things will attack it too.  Having something like an ox that didn't die would be just too good :)

Stranzini

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 02:36:00 am »
Well I was using it to transport things, that's why I took it out of Hlint and
that's why I lost it.

The point is - you should not apparently use them to transport things because you can't take them out of Hlint if they run away randomly and toward known monster hangouts and certain destruction. The only thing you can safely do with them is use them as storage that stays in Hlint. Which I agree is not supposed to be the point.

They dont need to be invulnerable. They just should stay on a lead if you put them on one.

Dorganath

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 06:09:00 am »
Once again, it is a lag-related issue.  Most times, the oxen do not run away when on a lead, though if they start to and don't return back, you can always try going back through the same transition and the ox should jump beside you on the other side.

Eloyn

• Followers of Az'atta
    • Followers of Mist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 09:10:00 am »
They are supposed to be able to die.....We can't make the invulnerable.  It doesn't happen that often, and I always use one because I can usually grab my ox before it gets very far, concidering that the ox runs slower than a player.  Yes, experience in using them can help, and if your a fair level yourself it doesn't matter since you can take anything that you may encounter on while trying to stop your ox.

Etinfall

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 08:38:00 pm »
When a character is leading an ox it is just basic knowledge that that char would move slower. If you are running at full speed ad your ox leaves...oh well. I have never lost an ox, except to those griffons. But I was travelling in thier hunting grounds.

davidtownsend

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 05:59:00 am »
How about some RP some big lunk fighter to play Ox for you.... I got this Lokri guy to carry a ton of my stuff (being a Dorandite) and he is handy in a pinch. Sure he is grumpy and takes half the loot but heck I'd not be alive most the time if it was not for him... RP does wonders...

ShrubberyJSC

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 12:37:00 am »
    I've never had a problem with the ox running away.

Yes, it happens, but like others have said, PC's are faster. Talk to it, and it will stop.

Actually, I found this glitch kinda funny, and sometimes I watch to see where it is headed off to.     =p

cappyra

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 05:20:00 am »
    Even if your Ox dies. . .  The ox pack will be left on the ground and you can retrieve the items from it.

Stranzini

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 04:59:00 am »
    umm...that does not seem to be true

I've lost two oxes, and never found a pack. After this particular silly business, I came back with lots of friends, we killed all the orcs, I prayed at my grave and we carefully searched the whole area - no pack.

I had always understood that if the ox is killed, it is assured that the pack and its contents simply disappear. Not true?

Dorganath

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 05:32:00 am »
    Oxen were updated some time ago to leave their packs and the contents thereof on the ground when killed.  I'm not sure how long the packs stay, but I'm pretty sure they're not persistent....meaning a server reboot will destroy them.  There's also nothing to keep someone else from looting your ox pack.

cso683

• View Profile
      Re: run away ox - ox on a lead not following
      « Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 09:39:59 pm »
      DROWNED OX

Oh, by the way, for everyone to know, a "Wall" as stated above, where the ox will supposedly stop, does not include a body of water.

My poor (6th) ox drowned in the gulf of Bigara last night with lots of good stuff in his pack!   :(

I have had them go off on their own numerous times, but was able to stop them everytime, except for last night. I could not get to him in time, into the lake he went, no pack left anywhere, and when I went back to the ox merchant, he made no mention of my previous ox.

When he first went into the lake, I tried all the suggestions above, going across a transition, resting, logging on and off, all to NO avail.

SO fair warning to all you OX users out there, OXES CAN DROWN!!

Curtis :(

Victor

• Followers of Dorand
        • View Profile
      « Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 08:22:48 am »
      You can lead an ox to water but you can't make him swim.

My own ox has gone missing from the stable, the one place I thought he'd be safe.  Did I accidentally misplace him?  I'll check with the ox merchant to see if he knows what happened.

I'm starting to think we need an ox locator service.

Etinfall

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 10:55:29 am »
      there is one. Talk to the Ox merchant. He will locate it for a fee.

Stranzini

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 02:39:00 pm »
      OK, I am going to wake this back up because - it seems completely reproducable.

Sen finally summoned up the courage to take his ox out again to get wood. He walks out the north gate of Hlint, the ox heads straight for the orc's camp.

He steps back into Hlint, the ox magically teleports back into Hlint with him.

He steps back outside, the ox takes off running for the orcs camp. Let him go as long as I dared, he doesnt stop - so step back into Hlint to magically teleport the ox out of harms way.

I can't take the ox out the north gate of Hlint without him running off to the other end of the area, where he will be killed.

Yes, there is lag.

But this is not a once in a lifetime fluky thing, this seems to be an every time thing at this particular area transition.

I can imagine how this code might work that would make it do what it does...lets imagine the ox looks periodically at coordinates of person he is supposed to be following and calculates a movement to take him in that direction. When transitioning from the far north end of one area to the far south end of the area, at least under lag conditions, ox does not reset himself on transition correctly to the new area, he sees that he is now at the far south end of the area but continues to use the old coordinates of his owner for a target (ie coordinates at the far north end of the area although that wasnt in this area), and barrels off to Sen's old coordinates but in the new area - that's exactly the spot he seems to be heading for every time, anyway. Just a guess, dont know whose code this is, havent a clue how it really works, but might it be some silly little thing like that?

Victor

• Followers of Dorand
        • View Profile
      « Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 05:39:57 pm »
      Paid the ox merchant to track my ox back to the East Hlint Barn. Went to the barn and found it safe and sound.

o.O

Huh? Where the heck was it the last time I was in the barn looking for it?

Weird.