The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Spell Defences  (Read 253 times)

Polak76

Spell Defences
« on: June 14, 2007, 04:31:02 am »
LAst night my two comrads Sasha and Brandin both succumb to a Weird by the Drow Wiz in the troll dungeon on Dragon Isles.
The odd thing is they both had lesser mind blank cast from my character Alandric.  Does this not negate the effects of weird?  Mind Blank has worked for everything else thus far.

Additionally even with Shadow Shield (protections from necromancy spells and neg effects) I was suffereing from strength damage in the Storan Crypts from the Shadows.  THis never used to happen a long time ago.
Secondly I also suffered from a Horrid Wilting from the same Drow Wizard above.  Is this a bug?

Cheers,
Polak76

hawklen

Re: Spell Defences
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 04:41:32 am »
Weird is an illusion spell, I thought the onl defence is a high will or True sight. Correct me if Im wrong, my cleric has a decent will and uses true sight and never succumbs to weirds

Pibemanden

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 06:46:02 am »
The only protection against Weird is either make the two saves or have true sight up, shadowshield only protects against negative energy and necromancy. See this link for further information, LORE: Weird

Blackguy

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 07:26:38 am »
Quote from: Polak76
LAst night my two comrads Sasha and Brandin both succumb to a Weird by the Drow Wiz in the troll dungeon on Dragon Isles.
 The odd thing is they both had lesser mind blank cast from my character Alandric. Does this not negate the effects of weird? Mind Blank has worked for everything else thus far.

Additionally even with Shadow Shield (protections from necromancy spells and neg effects) I was suffereing from strength damage in the Storan Crypts from the Shadows. THis never used to happen a long time ago.
 Secondly I also suffered from a Horrid Wilting from the same Drow Wizard above. Is this a bug?

Cheers,
 Polak76

As Pibemanden already have stated, you need to beat the first save of the weird, or the second, to avoid being killed by it. So you basicly have two chances. Alternatively you need to have true sight up, which negates the spell entirely.

Also shadowshield, does NOT have negative energy protection, so suffering penalties like str, con and so on will have an effect on your character even with shadowshield up.

And lastly with the horridwiltering that you took damage from, all I can see if that the spell wore off. Since Shadow shield have immunity to necromantic spells, the spell will and should not have effected you.

Polak76

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 07:29:56 pm »
ahh okay.  THats been changed considerably from the old days.  You used to only have to have some sort of fear immunity and you were safe.

I also noticed that it only effects enemies.  To my liking Banshee also now only effects enemies.  Not like the old days when my old character had to be careful where to cast it.

As far as the Shadow shield versus horrid wilting, I can definately state that I suffered strength loss whilst the spell was intact.  The only other factor that might negate my argument is there might have been a coincidental attack made by a poisoned arrow from one of the drow or the rogues have crippling strike.  My life wasn't in the green so the latter may be more appropriate.