The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Tieflings do not seem to get the dark vision feat  (Read 54 times)

General_Ski

• View Profile
    Tieflings do not seem to get the dark vision feat
    « on: June 25, 2005, 07:12:00 am »
    Dark vision feat is not listed as a tieafling posessed feat in the character sheet. Darkness is there so are the other benefits. Elves have low light vision feat listed, shadow dancers have their dark vision feat listed... I think it's a bug. And I am pretty sure  dark vision does not work for tieflings.

Rayenoir

• Followers of Rofirein
      • Followers of Xeen
      • View Profile
    RE: Tieflings do not seem to get the dark vision feat
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 11:00:00 am »
    I think you're right.  I checked my sheet and it doesn't show up there either.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 11:10:00 am »
    Now that you bring this subject up, Drow do not get the Darkvision feat either.

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 11:11:00 am »
    Garmus asked me about this in-game, and I couldn't see anything that suggested Darkvision or even Low-Light Vision.  All the other subrace bonuses/penalties seemed to be in place.

Sakura

• View Profile
      « Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 03:39:00 pm »

I have this with my Tiefling.

I nearly go blind when I get to close to a torch so I know its in effect.. but, when I am in compleat darkness and everyone is stumbling around I can see that spider 10 yards away. (curses light effects on weapons)

Oh... if you have a light spell on you or a light object on your weapon, you'll be blind. (This seems to be everyones problem that has this ablity *curses the light effects again*)

Its something thats built into the skin (like casting darkness once aday) and won't show up on the list of feats.

Rayenoir

• Followers of Rofirein
        • Followers of Xeen
        • View Profile
      « Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 12:29:00 pm »
      Except Darkness *does* show up on the list of feats.  Mine does, at least.  And when I'm running around in Sielwood at night without a light source, I can't see a bloody thing.

Dorganath

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 01:46:00 pm »
      Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Darkvision requires very, very dark conditions to work, and when it does work, it is "seen" as a faint glow around the character out to a certain radius.  Low-light vision works in a similar manner, though the darkness doesn't need to be as great.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
        • View Profile
      « Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 02:17:00 pm »
      Hmmm, i always thought that Darkvision was the ability for the character to see in total darkness (non-magical), but the sight was only on black and white, and that Low-Light Vision was the ability to see in very dark areas, as long as there is some light to illuminate the path...

Dorganath

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 02:30:00 pm »
      I think that's essentially it in the PnP world...but as it's implemented in NWN, it manifests as a dull glow around the character (seen only by the character) that shows the range of his vision under those circumstances.  According to the D&D rules, both darkvision and low-light vision have a finite range.  It does not expose darkness or near darkness as daylight would appear to a human, for example.  Low-light vision is supposed to double the effective range of torches and other light sorces, while darkvision allows the charcter to see up to 60 feet in darkness.

In the old, old days (pre 3rd Edition) there was infravision, which allowed characters to see the heat from various creatures when little or no light was available.  And that was in black-and-white (kind of like "night mode" on a lot of digital cameras).  But even that had a finite effective range.

Again, how this was implimented in NWN is that a creature with darkvision or low-light vision sees a dim glow on-screen when the lighting conditions are favorable for such feats. I've seen this with my half-elf character whenever I put away my light-producing quarterstaff in a dark area.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 05:39:00 pm »
      Infravision was cooler :P

But, As was mentioned earlier in the thread, if you have ANY light exuding equiptment, you spoil your dark/lowlight vision.  This is one of the reasons behind the craftable light system.  So, hopefully we'll be able to us our darkvision more if/when that system gets built.

http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10097&posts=12#M87230

General_Ski

• View Profile
        « Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 06:24:00 pm »
        Hold one there. First of all if there is a little bit of light my Dark vision does not work? Second there was no glow. The only thing I saw was shades and that's once I levelled a char a few levels and gave him good spot and listen skills. Then it worked. And don't forget other charaters, elves and shadowdancers and half-elves DO get the feat... Tieflings don't, it's not listed meaning they don't have it and it does not work.. That's the way NWN works. If it's not on your character sheet... Anyhow, I rewuested that that char be deleted. And I am pursuing another direction, albeit not half as much RP fun.. But I am working on it.