The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Changes to New Posts  (Read 132 times)

orth

Changes to New Posts
« on: March 28, 2007, 07:17:15 pm »
You may notice now that threads deemed read will now no longer show up when you search New Posts instead of it being time based.  Let me know how this works out.

orth

Re: Changes to New Posts
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 07:29:35 pm »
If the system displays pages and pages of unread posts now, you may want to select "Forum Links -> Mark Forums Read"

Blackguy

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 08:17:36 am »
I dont like this new system. After a day I got 15 pages of unread old posts. I said Mark Forum Read, and they all go away. But I still get post that say they are from a previous vist.

Before I could browse what I wanted to in new posts, and then I could Mark Forum as read, and it was all good.

Pen N Popper

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 09:36:37 am »
I like it so far, but give me a day or three to see if I find myself missing anything.

Leanthar

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 10:46:18 am »
@Blackguy...

".....But I still get post that say they are from a previous vist. ..."

Yeah, but anything above that is brand new and you can concentrate on that part of the list, ignoring everything below it. At least with everything below that line you can go to the older posts in case you want to revisit something (for whatever reason) without searching for it via search or forum by forum.

I use that "section" as a way of 'quick finding' stuff or as a way of telling myself to read everything above it.

So in a way it works the same and is 'all good' after marking the forum as read because you just read above that line if you are coming there for 'new posts'.

Or am I misunderstanding what you mean? To me it seems to be the best of both worlds, with a little adjusting in mindset perhaps.

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 11:42:42 am »
I prefer the way it was before. But that's maybe me. Come on people, throw in your two cents, so orth knows how to respond. ;)

Edit: I take back what I said. It works for me now, hehehe

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 12:17:07 pm »
My last remark for now is that it is dificult to locate a post once you have posted in it yourself. Like when I wanted to add this statement to this thread it took me several minutes to locate it, since it does not come up when I use the new posts options.

Kindo

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 12:26:13 pm »
Quote from: Harlas Ravelkione
My last remark for now is that it is dificult to locate a post once you have posted in it yourself. Like when I wanted to add this statement to this thread it took me several minutes to locate it, since it does not come up when I use the new posts options.
I was just about to bring this up. myself. Before this change, the topics when searching for "new posts", stayed until you closed the browser or marked them all read. This made it very easy to return to a topic you had previously looked at, in case you thought of something to add or such. Now they disappear as soon as you have opened the topic up.

Weeblie

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 12:49:38 pm »
I have to say that I liked the old way more.

Though... maybe... make it selectable which one one wants to have? :)

orth

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 12:54:56 pm »
Quote from: Kindo
I was just about to bring this up. myself. Before this change, the topics when searching for "new posts", stayed until you closed the browser or marked them all read. This made it very easy to return to a topic you had previously looked at, in case you thought of something to add or such. Now they disappear as soon as you have opened the topic up.

That's what "Forum Links -> Today's Posts" is for.

minerva

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 01:24:32 pm »
Quote from: Harlas Ravelkione

In your account options there is the one to subscribe to each post that you post or reply to.  To find them again, in the Forum options drop down menu under misc there is the subscribed threads list... voila... there's where you posted .:)

orth

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 01:36:38 pm »
Quote from: Weeblie
I have to say that I liked the old way more.

Though... maybe... make it selectable which one one wants to have? :)

I just want to point out because this sort of "suggestion" keeps popping up.  Making things "user selectable" is not trivial.

anything