The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Help! Corrupt files  (Read 282 times)

Help! Corrupt files
« on: July 13, 2006, 04:01:47 am »
I've tried downloading the .hak files twice now and continue to get "file corrupt" error messages when I try to install them in my nwn/hak directory.  They are layov2_art_v6, layov2_misc_v1, layov2_tiles_v1, and the layov2_update_v1 files.  I don't get any type of error message when I'm downloading, only when I try to extract them into the game directory.  Any ideas?  Are there earlier versions of these downloads I could try?  Also, I tried to download the one file with all of the subfiles in it, but with dialup, that's hardly an option because of the time it would take.  Thanks for any help.

Thak

Re: Help! Corrupt files
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 04:27:35 am »
I had this trouble with the inherent NVIDIA Firewall of ASUS Motherboards. If you have a NVIDIA firewall then completely deinstalling solves this trouble. Merely turning it off doesn't.

Eorendil

RE: Help! Corrupt files
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 07:21:09 am »
Have you tried updating your file compression utility? I've seen this happen when using a slightly outdated version of winzip or winrar that wasn't quite up to current standards. They do change/adjust/update/tweak those compression/decompression logarithms occasionally.

silverblades

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 03:47:58 pm »
Does your error message say this.?

An incorrect version of the file was found on your system.
The update was unable to complete, since the file contents were incorrect.
C:\\NeverwinterNights\\NWN\\nwm\\Chapter2E.nwm
File Size: 17088702
File CheckSum: c4aeece165bef1f2ed3958218d7844fc
Get the critical rebuild.
http://nwn.bioware.com/support/patch_english_hotu.html#crit
The patch has been aborted

Then you need to go to this web site.

http://nwn.bioware.com/support/patch_english_hotu.html#crit

This is what it fixes..

Patch details:
Neverwinter Nights Game
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
WARNING! AS OF THIS PATCH, ALL MODULES CREATED/SAVED WITH THE VERSION 1.67 TOOLSET ARE TAGGED AS REQUIRING VERSION 1.67 OR HIGHER OF NEVERWINTER NIGHTS GAME OR TOOLSET.
IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BRAND YOUR MODULE AS 1.67 THEN DO NOT EDIT YOUR MODULE IN THE VERSION 1.67 TOOLSET.
IF YOU WANT TO GO BACK TO 1.66, WE WILL HAVE A 1.67 TO 1.66 PATCH AVAILABLE.
- Official Campaign: Chapter 2e - Fixed an issue with attacking Tolan Losen causing all commoners to become hostile.
- Official Campaign: Chapter 3 - One of the pedestals in Layenne's Tomb can no longer be accidentally destroyed.
- Added 13 varieties of new creatures to the game from Pirates of the Sword Coast: Sharks (Goblin, Mako, Hammerhead), Gray Ooze, Ochre Jelly (Large, Medium, Small), Sahuagin (regular, Cleric, Leader), Parrot, Seagull (flying, walking).
- Added 79 new placeable objects to game resources:
   Arrow (Penants & Signs) - 8 variety of colors
   Flag (Penants & Signs) - Pirate and Umberlee
   X (Penants & Signs) - Pirate X mark
   Bubbles (Visual Effects) - 3 different heights
   Candle (Misc. Interior) - 2 types of 2 versions - 1 set with ambient light, 1 without
   Chest (Containers & Switches) - 1 buried, 1 sunken - sunken one has a bubbles effect when opened
   Driftwood (Parks & Nature) - 4 types
   Bed & Bench & Table & Chair, Dwarven (Misc. Interior)
   School of Fish (Parks & Nature) - 3 types
   Footprints (Misc.) - left and right
   Fungus (Parks & Nature)
   Hanging Dwarf Skeleton (Misc. Interior)
   Kelp (Parks & Nature) - 3 sizes of 3 types
   Mushrooms (Parks & Nature) - 4 types
   Net (Misc.)
   Palm Tree (Parks & Nature) - 2 types
   Parrot (Misc.)
   Portal (Visual Effects)
   Puddle (Misc.) - 2 types
   Raft (Misc.) - 1 normal, 1 broken
   Rocks (Parks & Nature) - 5 types
   Rope Coils (Misc.) - 2 types
   Sea Chair (Misc. Interior)
   Sea Idol (Misc.)
   Sea Obelisk (Misc.)
   Sea Table (Misc. Interior)
   Seashell (Parks & Nature) - 3 types
   Shrine of Umberlee (Misc. Interior) - 1 with ambient light, 1 without
   Starfish (Parks & Nature)
   Trog Bed (Misc. Interior)
   Trog Egg (Misc. Interior)
   Trog Nest (Misc. Interior)
   Trog Shrine (Misc. Interior)
   Trog Throne (Misc. Interior)
- Added a new option to the nwnplayer.ini file under [Game Options] "Client CPU Affinity" (for Windows only). If you have more than one CPU on your PC, then you can use this setting to make the game run on only one of the CPUs by specifying the number of the CPU (0-31).  Setting "Client CPU Affinity=-1" will turn off CPU affinity.
- Added a new setting to the nwnplayer.ini file under [Server Options] "Examine Effects On Creatures=1". If this option turned off then any magical effects on a creature will not appear in the creature description when you examine a creature in the game (Note: DMs will still see the effects on the creature).
- Added a new setting to the nwnplayer.ini file under [Server Options] "Examine CR On Creatures=1". If this option turned off then the challenge rating of a creature will not appear in the creature description when you examine a creature in the game.
- Added strings to bow models.
- Expanded the number of color choices available for Armor, Cloth, Leather, Skin, Hair, Tattoos (affects both character generation and the toolset).
- Fixed a crash that could happen going to the character select screen if you had a character in the list that was using a specific community made custom class that the current module does not support.
- Fixed an issue with using an item on another item causing the player to run to the corner of the area. The player will now run to get within range of the targetted item instead.
- Fixed a number of FeatIndex errors in the following 2das:   PackFTShad.2DA, PackFTRog1.2DA, PackFTRog2.2DA, PackFTRog3.2DA, PackFTRog5.2DA, PackFTRog6.2DA, PackFTRog7.2DA
- Fixed an issue with being able to pick pocket empty containers that were not flagged as being "pickpocketable".
- Fixed an issue with custom tokens not getting cleared/cleaned-up properly when quitting a module.
- Fixed a crash related to large creatures having weapons equipped that were too small for them to use.
- Fixed Defensive Casting to work properly with sub-radial spells.
- Fixed the innate spell level for the spell "War Cry" in the spells.2da
- Fixed the 'Category' setting for the "Animate Dead" spell in the spells.2a.
- Fixed a crash that could occur if a store was destroyed through scripting while it had customers buying/selling stuff.
- Fixed typo in the SoundImpact column of the VisualEffects.2da for VFX_IMP_HEAD_ODD.
- Weapon Finesse now works with creature weapons

I had to do this same thing when my brandnew copy of NWN Diamond failed to update.

If your using Dialup you can download each file one at a time instead of trying  to download the  entire 450M in one chunk, far too much for dialup.

That address is NWN critical rebuild page. it took me a while with DSL so be patient with your dialup. Awhile meaning at least 5 minutes. and the hak files from laye were taking me about 10 minutes a piece ona slow DSL line.

Hope that helps...
There can be only One.

dccd

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 09:21:19 am »
    OK, I'm a newbie here and really anxious to start playing, so forgive me if I ask silly questions.

* I have no idea if I have something called NVIDIA Firewall or an ASUS motherboard. Is there a way I can check?
    * The RAR utility that I used was downloaded from the same page as the rest of the downloads, so I assume it's a fairly current one. If it's not, where could I get a freebie at?
    * The error message says "!C:\\WINDOWS\\Desktop\\layonara\\layov2 _tiles_v1.rar: Unexpected end of archive" the moment I doubleclick on it. Then, when I highlight the file and click on the "Extract to" button, it starts to extract it, then I get another error message that says "!C:\\WINDOWS\\Desktop\\layonara \\layov2_tiles_v1.rar: CRC failed in layov2_tiles_v1.hak. The file is corrupt". Does this help anyone that can help me now?

Thanks for the responses I've gotten so far. Hope to see everyone in the game soon

Leanthar

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 09:28:43 am »
    http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm that is where you can get the latest version. Give it a shot. Not sure what the problem is as they work for me and the 1000's that have downloaded the files to check out the world....

dccd

• View Profile
      « Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 10:01:21 am »
      Just tried installing the latest version of winrar.  No luck.  Could it have anything to do with the fact that I don't have either of the NWN expansion packs installed yet?

dccd

• View Profile
        « Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 10:18:20 am »
        Just posed the question on the WinRAR site and was told that both these error messages are probably caused by a CPU timing out during a long download and therefore wasn't able to download the whole file.  Since I'm on a dialup connection, I bet that's what happened.

Wanted to update in case anyone else ever has a similar problem.

I don't suppose there is anyway to get some of these files sent to me on a disk is there????

*Trying to look as sad and disappointed as possible, hoping someone will find it in their heart to help me*

Thak

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 01:03:51 am »
        Hrm... Can you download it at work or ask one of yer mates or neighbors to do it for ya? -
        I probably live halfway round the world from you, heh so I cant really help ye there

Lord of the Forest

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 05:01:15 am »
        dccd - 7/15/2006  7:01 PM

Just tried installing the latest version of winrar.  No luck.  Could it have anything to do with the fact that I don't have either of the NWN expansion packs installed yet?

Well, you need both Expansion-Packs to run Layo.

Layonara Online (nwn/sou/hotu-1.67)