The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Thanks  (Read 324 times)

osxmallard

Thanks
« on: April 06, 2007, 12:05:15 pm »
How do you turn off the thanks option?  They are annoying to see and don't mean much most of the time especially with the 'thanks spammers'.

If I can not turn them off in options, recommend removing them from the board.

O.o

The following users thanked this post: twidget658

twidget658

Re: Thanks
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 12:40:15 pm »
*chuckles* Sorry, I just had to click on it. I couldn't help myself.

Kindo

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 12:50:44 pm »
*Cries* I love the Thanks-feature. Not that I am ever thanked for anything, but I definitely would not want it to be removed.

Witch Hunter

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 01:28:21 pm »
Thank you for that wonderful post, Kindo.

orth

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 07:53:16 pm »
Heh, of all the "annoying things to see", I don't rank the Thanks options on the forums very high.  As for it not meaning much due to said "Thanks Spammers", I disagree, they're not making things much worse.  They will not be turned off.

Not sure how you consider this messier then a thread with 8 replies saying "Thanks", take for example the New Version Online thread.  It's much easier to see the actual post instead of a dozen replies going "Woohoo, thanks!"

Aside from all that, it feels nice to have your efforts recognized in some token, because to be honest, I'm not too sure who the heck cares for our efforts.

Marswipp

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 11:10:45 am »
The list is somewhat of an annoyance in some threads...
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

twidget658

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 05:50:31 pm »
Quote from: orth
I'm not too sure who the heck cares for our efforts.

Umm...right.

Don't negate the 99% that are silent.

Lets see...
 no news is good news;
 silence is bliss;
 if this is all they have to complain about;
 if it is the small things that are drawing attention, then the big things are taken care of;
 a complaining sailor is a happy sailor...

I think EVERYONE cares or they wouldn't be here or they wouldn't post suggestions for improvement, at least to them it may be an improvement.

Oh, the sailor comment is for me for when I have to go to work every day and listen to their gripes and complaints. But honestly, these issues are important to them which makes it important to me.

orth

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 02:34:56 am »
Quote from: twidget658
Umm...right.

Don't negate the 99% that are silent.

I didn't come off exactly as I meant there.  What I was trying to say was more along the line of specifics.  If I go and do something, I can gauge how popular the effort was based on the amount of thanks.  Maybe it should be more along the lines as "Sweet!" heh

I'm also willing to bet the silent people would be more apt to just make a simple click on Thanks rather then reply to the thread with a reply.

I've yet to hear a definitive reason to why to get rid of it?  If it's gone, as soon as one person replies with a thank you in a thread, there's already more screen space taken up for that thread then there was if we kept the system?

Chongo

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 04:54:37 am »
If there's a way to make it collapsible, that may improve things further for people who don't like seeing it.  That said, I stand by my original signature quote from Blazing Saddles.  And it basically shows that in community forums, people gang up in back-patting to the degree that it stops all possible progressive discussion on the issue.

I like the thanks button.  It limit's the number of Mr. Johnsons that can clog up the system with generic agreement that I have to scroll through.

Whatever the case may be, this is a *very* public interface.  It's all mob mentality however you slice it, so the closer to the closet you can keep the pitchforks with opinions, the happier I'll be.

Marswipp

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 01:49:40 pm »
*points to the provided list*
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

anything