The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: *Sobs with his Vista*  (Read 516 times)

Force_of_Will_

*Sobs with his Vista*
« on: April 09, 2007, 10:33:57 pm »
Ok,Yes I have seen all that you said about Vista.
 I try to install the darn thing and it gets to the end of the play dics then I get an interupted message.I click ok and it says insert disc one.Which does nothing.I have the original 3 dics and the 2 expansions .
 Any help would be nice and no I dont have xp to put in this thing annd Im not sure I want to downgrade.

hawklen

Re: *Sobs with his Vista*
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 12:00:40 am »
This is all I could find *shrugs* may help..

Neverwinter Nights: Unable to install Neverwinter Nights on Windows Vista

Other than install XP. Dunno.

Force_of_Will_

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 01:48:17 am »
Yaaaa,I poked around the internet and called on all the gods I know of to help me and it worked my nwn updated to the newest version.
 Thanks to everyone who helped.

theophilusmousse

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 01:57:13 am »
    erm... i'm not sure you can actually call switching from vista to xp a "downgrade". i mean, xp did what you needed it to, and vista does not. it sounds like you already "downgraded" to vista!!

you could check on the drivers for your sound card/chipset and video drivers. (i mean go to the manufacturers and get the newest vista drivers.)
    from looking through the forums it looks like it is a driver support issue because some people can get it to work and others cannot.  it also seems possible that it could be an issue with the copy-protection protocol used on the NWN disks, some games won't work because of that. you could check on the optical disk drivers (again, from the manufacturer) but I don't know if that would help IF you are having a copy-protection issue.

good luck and be sure to let us know how you get it to work. it is getting harder to find new computers with xp loaded on them so others may need to learn from you   (i hope you feel special)

if you know someone who has a windows xp install disk (not a recovery disk) you could also put the hard-drive from your old computer into the new one and run a "repair install" from the install disk. this will re-install the corect drivers for your hardware and keep your data intact. (you may need to re-install some things because of changes in the registry) then you could "just" switch hard drives when you want to not be able to play NWN and use vista instead.

there are of course more complicated ways of fixing this i'm sure....

*ducks out of the way as fruit is thrown at me*

... shutting up now.

LOL  you posted while i was writing this...  ah well.  i've looked like an idiot before, it will happen again.

jrizz

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 03:46:22 am »

lonnarin

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 12:16:51 pm »
    Vista BAD!  Linux gooood....

Xp Dual Boot... necessary evil

hawklen

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 01:44:30 pm »
    Vista's bad mm'kay? ;)

I do love play nwn in a 1600x1200 window in linux, and running 8 other programs without slowing nwn down on my slow 2ghz (AthlonXP 2600+) ;)

But hope nwn continues to work for you

lonnarin

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 02:43:48 pm »
    Deliver us all from Vista!

*calls upon the power of Aeriden & slams a wooden stake into the hard drive*

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 04:10:07 pm »
    YES!!!

*Turns Undead and watches a Microsoft employee burst into flame.*

Niles09

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 04:39:07 pm »
    oh come guys don't mock Microsoft.. They might abuse the monopoly to make programs that doesn't work and overprice them... but let the kid play with its toy! And we need some kind of evil to balance the universe... right?!

Interia_Discordius

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 04:41:37 pm »
    **watches the clerics go around smiting the Microsoft company and giggles**

**raises her hands and calls down a meteor swarm on the company herself, just for added flavor**

Marswipp

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 04:47:47 pm »
    Yep... the famestrike spell cast on Vista will reduce it to a wisp of nothing.
    Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

stolen

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 05:43:41 pm »
    I'm running on vista. works fine.

try looking at my post "nwn and vista"

Jilseponie Wyndon

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 07:57:09 pm »
    I also got VISTA with my new comp and had no problems installing NWN Platinum Version.  Been running it over a week with no problems so far *Knocks on wood*

hawklen

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 09:20:06 pm »
    You're due for a windows critical error, and/or blue screen of death

Jilseponie Wyndon

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 10:46:39 pm »
    Hey now, no cursing my good fortune so far .... I see VISTA has put out a number of patches and they may be the reason why things are looking better ... give it time and a chance.

hawklen

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 11:02:28 pm »
    and four service packs.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 01:46:06 am »
    Quote from: Force_of_Will_
    Ok,Yes I have seen all that you said about Vista.
     I try to install the darn thing and it gets to the end of the play dics then I get an interupted message.I click ok and it says insert disc one.Which does nothing.I have the original 3 dics and the 2 expansions .
     Any help would be nice and no I dont have xp to put in this thing annd Im not sure I want to downgrade.

Vista has a play disc? O.o

hawklen

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 01:55:59 am »
    Quote from: Talan Va'lash
    Vista has a play disc? O.o

Yeah! Its a fun game. You try to run stuff, it crashes and asks you if you'd like to try again!

Laldiien

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 09:41:04 am »
    Meh.  I'm wiping Linux off my spare box and installing Vista this weekend.  Ubuntu did it's happy update thing and my graphics driver no longer loads when I want to run NWN.

Gee...An OS update that breaks drivers....where have I seen that before?