The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: 1/4 elves breeding?  (Read 268 times)

merlin34baseball

1/4 elves breeding?
« on: August 17, 2010, 04:37:10 pm »
Hiya!

I saw a couple posts recently that talked about how if you are a mixed race you cannot have children. While, granted, I've known that for a long time, but one talked about the fact that only if your character got mechanical benefits from the race they could not breed.

So... here's the question...

Can 1/4 elves have children with a human? Chaynce's mother was a half elf and father a human.

Thanks,

Merlin34

//oh and look out Daniella... this could ruin your plans for Toranite domination of the world...//

Oh and to quote the post the piqued my interest...

For clarity, no one who is of mixed breeding has the capability to breed as of 1421. If you have even the slightest hint of other racial blood in you (enough to make a mechanical difference in your character) you cannot breed. That means all half elves, half ogres, half giants, etc are sterile and can no longer have children. Additionally, there can no longer be a product from two pure blooded individuals of different races.

Unknown User

1/4 elves breeding?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 12:30:27 am »
The last consensus I am aware of was that if it's close enough to have a physical representation (slightly pointed ears, long fingers, skills RPed as being due to elven blood, etc), then you can't breed. The 1/8th suggestion for planar blood does not apply - if it's close enough to show, it's too close to breed.

Dorganath

1/4 elves breeding?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:30:27 am »
No, there's still too much non-human "taint" to the blood.  The "mechanical  difference" is overridden by the RP and lore restrictions. The parenthetical comment in the above is probably confusing matters, and while I see where she was going with it, the "mechanical difference" is something that would be more represented in a RP sense (such as in a PnP tabletop game) than in NWN.

Also, at one time, we allowed quarter-blooded offspring of half-blooded PCs to choose either the half-elf skin or the human skin, per player preferences, but for the RP aspects of their genetics, they were still quarter-blooded.  It's not something we can represent mechanically, so we make the best we can mechanically and RP the rest.

A 1/4 elf, even though we don't have them as a mechanical, playable race, would still have 25% elven blood (which is far from a slight hint) and would still possess some elven traits.  Depending on how picky Aeridin is wanting to be, I would guess it would take a minimum of 7 to 8 generations (which of course would have had to happen prior to 1421) in order to breed down the elven component to levels where breeding would be possible (or less than 1% elven).

The same would apply to all other half-races.

So to make it more precise, half-elves, children of half-elves, grandchildren of half elves and great-grandchildren of half-elves (at a minimum) are all quite sterile and unable to breed with anyone, regardless of genetic heritage.  The same progression would apply to half-orcs, half-ogres, half-giants and every other half-something (except for halflings, of course).

Unknown User

1/4 elves breeding?
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 12:30:27 am »
Those lucky Half-Lings...  first they kill off the regular Lings, and now they get away with Half-breeding...  *shakes head and sighs*

Unknown User

1/4 elves breeding?
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 12:30:27 am »
aww... poor Chaynce... you can always try to convince Daniella to adopt again

merlin34baseball

1/4 elves breeding?
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 12:30:27 am »
Awww... ok... It was just the MECHANICAL BENEFITS thing that confused me. I assumed that that ment if I recieved the IG benifits of a half elf Chaynce couldn't have children, and since MECHANICALLY he is human IG I thought maybe he could.

Thanks for the clarification.

And I guess there's no way to get Daniella pregnant, barefoot, and chained to the stove! (though she does make nice pies!)

Thanks for the responses!

Merlin34

Unknown User

1/4 elves breeding?
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 12:30:27 am »

Quote:

And I guess there's no way to get Daniella pregnant, barefoot, and chained to the stove!

Maybe that was in Toran's plans

merlin34baseball

1/4 elves breeding?
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 12:30:27 am »
Doesn't Toran like pies? Chaynce would share some when he comes for tea...