The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: 9 People are banned  (Read 973 times)

cappyra

RE: 9 People are banned
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 12:49:00 pm »
First of all I would like to thank Leanthar and team for keeping Layonara a fun and happy place for us to play.  

It saddens me to think about the amount of time that it must have taken to track the characters involved in this activity.  It is obvious that they missed the point of Layonara entirely.

It also answers a few things that made me go huh?  but then I ended up explaining it away to myself thinking that most people are honest and enjoying the Role Play and environment that Layonara has to offer.

The only thing I knew about the so called "Clan" was a post I caught by Leanthar in a characters journal.
I was actually appauled at the activity and surprised at the teams patience in dealing with this.   It was very clear in that post that the activity was to end.  Apparently it did not.

Unaware of the exploiting, I allowed the groups trading company (BrightSky) to sell items at the Leilon Arms.  When I browsed the chest I was a bit surprised at the goods, but then again I did not know who was involved in the trading company so I dismissed any wrong doing.   The only other thing that struck me as odd... was that I purchased a box of bread and a box of jerky from one of the other players, Initially I thought that it was a little quick for the character to have the skill to make the items and they must have had to be spending quite a bit of time gathering all the required components to do so.  But I dismissed it again as a group effort and...  I generally think players are on the up and up.

Three of the players banned had rooms at the Leilon Arms.  As soon as I can log on I will empty the crates and dispose of any items.  I will then change the locks on the Leilon Arms.   I will notify other tenants of this so that keys can be given to them.   If a DM wants to verify or look in the crates please let me know and I will not touch them until you have had a chance to look.

Finally while I find this a bit shocking,  I know it is not the norm.  I think most players are aware and frankly quite grateful at what Leanthar and the team provide for us.  I think most players get what Layonara is about and enjoy something that is rare among online games.  

*edit   I just remembered that on Friday Taila bought 1 of each type of pie... just sad.

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2005, 12:54:00 pm »
oh.. well.. i guess Sand Krows wont be back now, and i think he was working on getting back into it again too. And to think of all the arrows i bought from Taila, to find now that they were not even crafted but cheated into the game.

So are thouse that lived with thouse that were banned going to lose there house, as well as what they had in it? I ask for Lokri/Path, sence he and Kloss.. and one other bought a house togeather. If anything could be done, id sugest simply sorting out the goods (dont imagin he would like about what was and wasent his) and give him the house, as if his room mate had died. Just an idea.

Eloyn

• Followers of Az'atta
    • Followers of Mist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 01:01:00 pm »
I'l like to thank L and Rhizome and whoever were on their case for getting them out of here.  Good job.  I wonder why some people have to ruin it for all of us.  At least they're gone now

Yam-Yam

• Druids
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005, 01:38:00 pm »
I feel really bad about all of this. I knew nothing about the "sex clan" and I would not have associated with it's members if I had known. In the future I will keep my RP appropriate for all ages. :(

ThrainSil

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 01:43:00 pm »
Wow.  Good work from the GMs and Leanthar.  I always had a strange feeling around them but just thought they were RPing odd people.  Sorry to hear about Kloss being involved.  A sad but necessary day.

Thunder Pants

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2005, 02:12:00 pm »
i too would like to extend a hearty pat on the back and a good job to the DM team involved in this, the whole attempted rape of a PC thing is what has me the most concerned over all of this

i personaly don't have any experience with these characters aside from when bopthor complained about lue not healing him, but if they were involved with all of this then they definetly do deserve to be banned, which is saying something because unless i'm mistaken the ban list contains less then 20 names currently even after adding these 9

thekevmon

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 02:20:00 pm »
Wow. I knew some of these people, and I must say I never would have expected this from some of them. The whole concept of this "Clan" I find to be quite disturbing.

Thank you Leanthar, and all the other GMs. Thank you for keeping Layonara the way it should be.

Variable

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2005, 03:02:00 pm »
*shakes his head* I cannot believe that people would do this. This is a wonderful world and Thank you to Leanthar and all the GMs who had to waste their time, which could have been spent running quest or improving the world, on this.

Thank you for keep Layonara such an amazing place!

Leanthar

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 03:16:00 pm »
I am going to edit this post. However I wanted to post here as well.
  After a lot of questions, numerous emails, and lots of input from the team we have determined that kloss seemed to be lumped in to a very bad situation.  While he clearly made some poor judgements along the way (not reporting things that seemed out of place is a major one) he does not seem to have been actively involved with this group.  He was in the wrong place at the wrong time on a number of times but we do not believe after a lot further review and such that he was actively exploiting or involved with the sex clan.  However, he definetly made a number of poor judgement calls--something I hope he has learned from.
  As such we have moved to un-ban kloss.

Yllyrryon

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 03:18:00 pm »
I want to say to Leanthar and anyone on the Team who is discouraged by stuff like this - keep in mind all the great work you have done.  So many of us are very happy to be here and very grateful for all you have done.

An observation: Leanthar mentioned having to investigate these people.  Now having to do such an investigation took precious time away from doing constructive activities that would have further enriched our Layo experience.  Hence we all suffered because of this.

A few of these people were banned in part because they associated with these despicable practices and failed to confront or report the perpetrators.  What has heppened is now over, but we can learn from it.  As players, we don't have to put up with stuff like this.  As I have told a couple of you already, I really don't know what to think of this - but as I sort it out in the coming days, I am going to think about how I, as a player, can make a difference so hopefully nothing like this will happen again.  Perhaps you will join me in thinking about what +you+ can do to make such a difference.

Hang in there everyone!

NitaThompson

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: December 20, 2005, 03:23:00 pm »
    Well done Leanthar.  Its great to show people that even in a computer game there needs to be morals.  Layonara for me was a family and a community feeling.  Its great to see that you and your team are protecting the community from such filth.

KageKeeper

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2005, 03:27:00 pm »
    Yllyrryon - 12/20/2005  3:18 PM

As players, we don't have to put up with stuff like this.  As I have told a couple of you already, I really don't know what to think of this - but as I sort it out in the coming days, I am going to think about how I, as a player, can make a difference so hopefully nothing like this will happen again.  Perhaps you will join me in thinking about what +you+ can do to make such a difference.

Very right. As players we should be responsible for our actions. We should also be self-policing. If we see something that is not right, then we should alert the GM team to it.

I know of two incidents in particular where this happened. One of them was alerting the Team to the "Clan" initially.

GMs cannot be everywhere at all times. If you see something that does not seem right, let the Team know.

We are the community. All of us. Let's do what we need to do to make sure that the community thrives and does well. :)

feniox

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2005, 04:56:00 pm »
    Yllyrryon - 12/20/2005  3:18 PM

I want to say to Leanthar and anyone on the Team who is discouraged by stuff like this - keep in mind all the great work you have done.  So many of us are very happy to be here and very grateful for all you have done.

I just want to second this.

Not to seem like a suck-up or anything, but I've been away for a short while, maybe 6 weeks or so. Just been feeling really unenthusiastic about anything and everything (I hadn't drifted to another server!), but I returned to the game yesterday and already it's cheered me up again. I'd forgotten how much I miss playing here :)

Zhofe

• Followers of Ilsare
      • Followers of Toran
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: December 20, 2005, 05:24:00 pm »
    Well, I guess I missed most of this in my quasi-absence ....

What makes me sick ... is the number. Nine people.

A single bad egg is easy to get over. Even two or three are not that hard. Nine people is something entirly different

To be honest, for the longest time there was something stale to me on Layo, and I am not sure if it was these people, or something else. I do know however that this is a step in the right direction.

Sorry to Kahna that she won't get to hear any more of Quin's stories. Sorry to the community for having these people in the Leilon Arms. Sorry to Leanthar and the GMs for having to deal with this tomfoolery.

Asmodean

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2005, 05:39:00 pm »
    I want to extend my appreciation to the GM team.  I have been wondering why there haven't been as many quests as of late, I guess this would be why.  

Most of those involved, I had limited or no interaction with.  One, however, I feel might have made a bad choice, but I do not know them well enough to even attempt to say anything to defend them.  It's unfortunate that I won't be able to RP with that person again, for I felt they had some skill.  

After spending hours upon hours working on my crafts, the idea of someone half my level with 75 items of a difficulty to craft that is beyond my capability just sickens me.  I only wish I had the gold to possibly purchase JUST ONE of the new vacant houses !!!!!!!!  I might have to see about the Arms.. :)  I hear they have rooms again.  

I am having a hard time concentrating on what to say next... I have 8 ft tall halfings and bunnies running through my head....    THAT IS JUST FUNNY!

Seriously though...  

THANK YOU L AND THE REST OF THE GM TEAM

I look forward to the more positive energies that will be freed up now that this has come to pass.

Filatus

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2005, 05:46:00 pm »
    Leanthar - 12/21/2005  12:16 AM    I am going to edit this post. However I wanted to post here as well.
      After a lot of questions, numerous emails, and lots of input from the team we have determined that kloss seemed to be lumped in to a very bad situation.  While he clearly made some poor judgements along the way (not reporting things that seemed out of place is a major one) he does not seem to have been actively involved with this group.  He was in the wrong place at the wrong time on a number of times but we do not believe after a lot further review and such that he was actively exploiting or involved with the sex clan.  However, he definetly made a number of poor judgement calls--something I hope he has learned from.
      As such we have moved to un-ban kloss.

I'm happy to hear this, it's good that the team took time to get a clear view of who was in the wrong and who wasn't. Welcome back kloss. :)

twidget658

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2005, 05:59:00 pm »
    http://www.layonaraonline.com/donate.asp
      Thought I would throw in the link as I applaud the Layonara Staff.
        Honestly, I am at a loss of words. Great job to all!

Etinfall

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2005, 08:15:00 pm »
    As alot of you have said, I always had a bad feeling about some of these players. I never knew about the clan thing and I am glad. Heh, I never know about duping in any game. I was almost going to say hi to one of them that I noticed was from my home town, but I did not like his forum portrait or quotes. This goes to show that your personality does show even on computer games. With that said I feel like there are a ton of players here that are good people and generally care about others.

Layo Team, Thanks!! I can't imagine how frustrated you were. It even makes me mad that a lot of disputes I read were from them. Umm, yeah, the emerald I just duped disappeared from my chest and it was server's fault. Ooooohh I hate that!!!

Have a joyous Holiday and again, thanks for all you do.

Etinfall

jrizz

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2005, 09:14:00 pm »
    I am sorry that this went on for so long. I am glad it is over now. Thank you for your hard work in tracking it down.

Grid Blader

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2005, 09:50:00 pm »
    *shaking my head still*

I can not belive these people though they were going to get away with this.  The GM team is way to good..  

Thanks again