The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A letter of regret and farewell  (Read 216 times)

jrizz

A letter of regret and farewell
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:45:59 am »
All,
Recently I broke a server rule, I will explain this a little later. It was an act that was totally out of line with the way I have played my main character, Glenn, for these many months that I have been part of this community. I was also quite out of character (LoL) for me as a person, I have always been one to stick to the rules of a game in both letter and spirit. For the most part I feel that I was playing Glenn truly in the spirit of Layo. Of course at times as with most players when you get close to a level you strive to hit the mark (as a ranger would say). But this is a fantasy game and part of the path that most players are on is becoming a hero (or villain) of epic proportions. For me that has never been the foremost goal. For those of you who know Glenn you know that he was always ready to help in a fight or task (big or small) and hard working when it came to crafting, not to go up levels and get on the list but to be able to make the things he needed and some things that others needed. Glenn almost never made a bow or a wooden weapon unless it was meant for someone, there are many of you running around with Glenn made bows and staffs and even one nice wooden club (LoL happy bashing). I have been given the last couple of days to reflect on my actions, I guess this is a good time to say what that was. I manipulated the AI is the most gross of manners. Please know that I did not set out to do this, but in the course of trying to figure out how collect yew solo (cant be done at 13th level) the spawn that I was trying to get around timed out and this is where I did something totally against my grain (ha woodcrafter term), I ran into the area and collected some wood. I then logged out, during the night I was feeling bad about that action and planned on logging on the next day finding a trashcan and dumping the yew that I illegally collected. But a DM saw this and cleared my inventory before I could do that. My actions were against the spirit and rules of the game but more importantly, as I said, against my personal rules as a player and the personality of my character. For this I am sorry, but it showed me that I have let greed seep ever so slightly into my mind as a player. This is unhealthy and means that I have taken my playtime a little too serious. With all of this said I think it is best to take my leave of Layo. Thank you to all of you who have made my playtime here great (Players, DMs, world creators, and world financial backers) and to those of you who ran and RPed with Glenn there are too many to mention and you all know who you are. So have fun, play in the spirit of Layo, don't get frustrated by the leveling thing, and don't break the rules (it is not fun for you or anyone else).

Cheers,
John (Glenn)

Leanthar

Re: A letter of regret and farewell
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 07:56:31 am »
I hope you find a world that you enjoy. I will personally miss you as I know you are a good guy.  Take care.

Blackguy

RE: A letter of regret and farewell
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 08:01:59 am »
We've all been there lad, but let it disheart you for returning. We've all thougth of taking the barney watching duty. But it aint worth it. If your a Simpson fan you know what I mean. Take care where ever you go.

SuperMunch

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 08:06:48 am »
Take care John, hope to see you back someday.

jrizz

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 08:08:08 am »
Well this was the world for me (I looked at some others, nothing compares). So I will be giving up gaming for now, I suppose.

Ar7

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 08:08:43 am »
There are mistakes after which one is forced to quit and leave, this is not one of them.

Leanthar

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 08:11:23 am »
This is his choice, he is not banned, that I want to make clear.  Now, at the very least he would have had a temporary ban because of other reasons (of which he and I know)....but that is not for the public nor this thread.

*looks at ar7* Not sure if that was directed at me or the public in general.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 08:13:54 am »
a break is always good.  puts things inperspective.  take a nice long one and come back refreshed.

jrizz

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 08:23:50 am »
I think he was just making a general statment. Yes this is my choice as L said. But I will still haunt the forums so you will still hear from me :)

Zen

• Followers of Aeridin
    • Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 09:02:20 am »
Well if you are going to be around deleate your characters and make a non-crafting one. That will take away any temptation ;) and it might be fun again.

You know we are lacking female Dwarfs  :p

Well have fun on your break 8)  Hope to see ya IG in the future  :)

KageKeeper

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 10:04:17 am »
Hope you change your mind and return. :)

You made a mistake, you owned up to it (very mature on your part) and you are a good RPer. *shrugs* You live and you learn.

~KK

akata

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 10:05:03 am »
take care, and come back when you feel ready for it

twidget658

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 10:50:47 am »
Glenn, we go back a LONG time. We have discussed this type of things on several different avenues. We have seen people do some things worse than this.

I know you violated your own code of conduct (so you are punishing yourself which is worse than anything Layo Staff can do to you) and this is something that you will have to work out. I understand taking some time to purge and regroup. Take some time, learn from it, refresh and come back. You are always welcomed in our party.

Take care and come back renewed,
twidget

jrizz

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 11:15:31 am »
Good points indeed. I will take some time off and if the Layo staff is willing and I feel right I will come back. I suppose you are right, I feel so bad about having Glenn act this way that I feel I killed his spirit. Perhaps a couple of weeks away will do me a world of good. If L and the Layo staff are willing then I will come back, I hope renewed.

Ar7

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 11:23:26 am »
Leanthar - 3/23/2006  8:11 AM

This is his choice, he is not banned, that I want to make clear.  Now, at the very least he would have had a temporary ban because of other reasons (of which he and I know)....but that is not for the public nor this thread.

*looks at ar7* Not sure if that was directed at me or the public in general.

No no, not directed at you L. I just thought that he himself punished himself way too hard.

NEXUS7

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 11:37:11 am »
I left for a bit you just need it some times
If you do come back ill see you then

mumbles

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 11:52:29 am »
Hope to see you soon Glenn ,
Take care mate.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 12:13:05 pm »
Hey, even I've owned a few Glenn bows.

I wish you well in your reprive; it was a very impressive thing you did, to own up to it like that, and I hope that you find the peace you need before coming back.

*He smiles.* After all, I'll be able to use Mahog before too long, and where'll the only bowmaker I buy from be then?

I wish you well, man.

Faldred

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 12:18:17 pm »
Who knows... maybe you can incorporate the time away into the character.  That is, use the experience as a launching point for some character development.  Since your character acted in an "out of character" fashion, what impacts does this have on him?  Does he feel remorse?  Does he feel the need to prove himself in some way?  Is it a step down a different path?  Would it prompt a possible personality, class, diety, or alignment change?

After taking some time off to clear your head, it might be an excellent way of getting back into charatcer.  And maybe, just maybe, turn a negative experience into a positive result in the long run.

Whatever you decide, though, best of luck!

jrizz

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 01:54:42 pm »
I was thinking of filling my time with learning the toolset and scripting lang (oh and finding out what this "going outside" thing is all about) but I think making some additions to my character thread during the time away might not be a bad idea.

anything