The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A PnP question  (Read 250 times)

Niles09

A PnP question
« on: September 24, 2005, 02:31:00 am »
Tommorrow I'm gonna play DnD pen & paper, and for the first time in one anda half year Im not a DM so I'm pretty excitied aout it. Anyway then I got this idea about a nearly new class, and my and the DM have talked a lot about it. I've written about five sites about it, and I'm not going to translate them into english, but short: Its a wilf elf order. They are called ShaunKairas (sworddancers) and they sneaks around to get a clear hit at their enemies with their greatswords. They a really acrobatic. In reality its a rogue/ranger but with a few changes:
The char dont have the ranger armor profency, they dont waer armor at all since that disturbs their movement, they dont have two weapon fighting or ambidextery. Neither do they use gloves (bracers is ok), cloaks and helmets. That means that they are really weak while on defensive, because of a hard to get AC.
In return my and my DM is talking about getting, hide in plain sight, monks leap of the clouds, slow fall, maybe deflect arrows, and change the rangers skill point from 4 to 6.
I just want to know what others in here think about, what would be fair.

lunchboxkilla

RE: A PnP question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 02:55:00 am »
Sounds far over blanced if this is all on the low level side...
My parties are just basic and if you want special things like that early you drop your char from the party for training

Niles09

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 03:03:00 am »
? I didnt get that, do you mean its not ok cause my char gets it all at once, well i forgot to say that my char will get it as other classes to. Hide in plain sight at lvl 10 maybe and so on.

steverimmer

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 03:26:00 am »
heh sneak attacks with greatswords, I've always thought that sneak attacks should only be allowed with small or tiny weapons myself.  After all its supposed be a precise almost surgical attack rather than a great swooping cut :)

Niles09

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 03:33:00 am »
nope you can use anything, what make a sneak attack a sneak attack is, that the enemy is unaware of you, and because of that you can choose freely where to strike.
In the 2d it was mostly small weapons since thieves had weapon restrictions, but a stalker and a theif with that all weapon feat could sneak with anything, even a halberd!

Vellyn

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 05:47:00 am »
I agree that sneak attacks should be limited to smaller weapons. There is no way you're going to convince me that you can stand behind me quietly while slashing a giant weapon ....and it at leant not be noticed. It is the speed time of the weapon that aids the sneak attack. To swing a great sword has the longest attack time ... nearly a full sound ... where as the short sword has a quick reaction attack time of about three seconds. Thus the reason why a thief can't use large weapons in the first place. That is something about all this D&D 3.5 stuff I just don't like ... bring back 2nd edition!!

meh ... for now i'll stick to Rolemaster. I love the system moe anyway. I haven't played D&D in about 5 years

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 05:59:00 am »
Well there is no way you are going to convience me that you dont get any proofit, bye sneaking up an enemy who are completly unaware of you right until the very very last part of a sec.

Anyway this is not about sneak attack but about how fair the edeting of my char is, I would be happy if a few more would comment that.

Niles09

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 06:01:00 am »
That was my comment.

Ioskeha

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 10:13:00 am »
Vellyn - 9/24/2005  5:47 AM

I agree that sneak attacks should be limited to smaller weapons. There is no way you're going to convince me that you can stand behind me quietly while slashing a giant weapon ....and it at leant not be noticed. It is the speed time of the weapon that aids the sneak attack. To swing a great sword has the longest attack time ... nearly a full sound ... where as the short sword has a quick reaction attack time of about three seconds. Thus the reason why a thief can't use large weapons in the first place. That is something about all this D&D 3.5 stuff I just don't like ... bring back 2nd edition!!

meh ... for now i'll stick to Rolemaster. I love the system moe anyway. I haven't played D&D in about 5 years

A sneak attack is nothing more then catching someone off guard, when they aren't ready to defend themselves.  Becuase of that any weapon can be used as a snak attack.  You say that a Great Sword would make a sound as it swings through the air, you're right it does.  But there's no way a person that isn't ready for an attack could prepar to be hit by a Great Sword that's already in motion.  I've used a large Sword before and it didn't take me more then a second to perform a full swing once I had the sword ready for attack.  Someone that's ready for an attack, using a sneak attack, will have their weapon ready to strike well before they attack.

Niles09

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 10:56:00 am »
I couldnt agree more, but still, couldnt someone answer the topic, I could really need more peoples view of it.

Ioskeha

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 11:01:00 am »
Sorry, I didn't answer because I have no experience with PnP DnD.  My opinion on your character tho is this; As long as your DM thinks it's fair who cares what other people think?  It's his game afterall.

Niles09

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 11:33:00 am »
year but the problem is, me and my DM isnt completly sure of what to do, and I know there is some GM's in here who has played DnD as long as I have lived!

anything