The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A Question for the computer experts  (Read 63 times)

merlin34baseball

A Question for the computer experts
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:37:05 pm »
Hello Smart People,

Is there a way to find out how old a web page is?

I'm looking for a new apartment online and everyone I call tells me its rented but the web pages are still up saying they are for rent. So I was thinking I could eliminate wasted time by seeing when the page was put up, if it was more than a month old no need to call on the house.

Hope that made sense... I just didn't know if there was some sort of fancy button you could push to see when a web page first went up!

My Thanks!
Merlin34

Script Wrecked

Re: A Question for the computer experts
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 04:54:05 am »
Most web pages (themselves) are dynamic these days, that is, they are assembled (usually from within different parts of a database) when you browse them.

In any case, meta information (such as the sort of dates you are after) is not usually sent to the client (i.e, you).

The only option like this that is available to you is to look at the source of the page (usually from a pull-down menu option; on Firefox, View -> Page Source) to see if any such information has been included (very unlikely). This would not be in any sort of standard format if it is included.

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

stragen

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 06:15:57 am »
Use Google for search, then you can use the advanced settings and select a date range and a web site to search within.

Pseudonym

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:41:58 am »
[Pseudo's computer know-how.]

If your computer is having problems, turn it off and back on again.

[/Pseudo's computer know-how.]