The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Any hints on leveling up quickly?  (Read 71 times)

Panros

• View Profile
    Any hints on leveling up quickly?
    « on: January 16, 2006, 10:57:34 am »
    I seem to be gaining experience as a role player very quickly in the world of Layonara. However, my character Panros doesn't seem to be going anywhere experience wise as of late. The first four levels flew by, however, I think I've been working too long to gain the fifth (it takes 20000 xp to level up to 5). So I was wondering if anyone could give me tips to speed up the leveling process. I know patients is one of them, but at the rate Panros is leveling, I might only be level 9 by the end of the semester, lol. Thanks in advance.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
      • View Profile
    RE: Any hints on leveling up quickly?
    « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 11:05:59 am »
    Quests are great occasions to have lots of RP, and the rewards are very encouraging.
     However, leveling up quickly is something you should avoid, and in my opinion, as long as you have fun, levels won't matter that much.

Lilswanwillow

Re: Any hints on leveling up quickly?
    « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 11:07:08 am »
    I was stuck at level 5 for a month-seemed forever for me!!!

but, its all relative.  you have to be playing for a year to hit level 21 (epic)

hints though: get into groups!!!!  talk alot to people sitting in Hlint, and eventually you'll find someone wandering off somewhere that doesn't mind more people coming along.

and check out the calendars... your not -quite- high enough level for most of the quests, but occasionally you'll beable to sneak on one.  Especially the player run quests!

Pen N Popper

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 11:08:28 am »

I greatly enjoyed the "competition" with your PC Panros.  Good fun.  Personally, I'd take that over a level any day.  Keep up the good work.

EdTheKet

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 11:53:30 am »
    I think I've been working too long to gain the fifth (it takes 20000 xp to level up to 5).
     Well, your character has only been approved for two days... Just play and it'll go by itself.

Lalaith Va'lash

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 12:03:18 pm »
    Pen N Popper - 1/16/2006 2:08 PM I greatly enjoyed the "competition" with your PC Panros. Good fun. Personally, I'd take that over a level any day. Keep up the good work.

Definately 100 % agree with this statement.  

All three of you Anoron, Panros, and Pig had me laughing so much yesterday during your 'competition'.  You all did an excellent job of playing your characters..  and it still brings a smile to my face thinking about the envents yesterday.  

As for the levels... like others said, they will come in time.  My other PC has been around for over 8 months and she is only level 9.  Not because I didn't play her, or don't have the oppertunity.. in fact I play her all the time...  but I've enjoyed the RP around her so much that she has never gone out of her way to do things that would give XP.  I'm not saying levels are not important, or its not fun to get them.. but.. they will come.  

-Lal

vgn

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 12:22:32 pm »
    Others have basically said much the same, but to combine a few key points. This world is not meant for fast leveling. The custom XP charts make sure one does not "zoom" through levels. The requirements to reach epic (21+) levels are such that you must have played your character for a year.
    As Ed pointed out, you've only had the character for 2 days. You can expect it will take you a while to get up to the mid-levels and even longer to get higher.
    That being said, the best ways to get XP are as people stated. Find people to adventure with and join as many GM run quests as you can fit in your schedule.

Enjoy the world, enjoy the strong role playing, and over all have fun.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 12:34:25 pm »
    complaining about being stuck at level 5 after less than two days of playing?  No offense, but...  hahahahahahahahahahaha....Ahem...  Dude, seriously, complain after you spend three months at one level, not just a few hours.

Dezza

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 12:44:52 pm »
    Dont rush it...enjoy it..this world is all about RP. Its about how your charater develops not about how fast you can make it to level 20!  Some people have been here for years and still dont have any characters at Epic!

Panros

• View Profile
      « Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 01:16:13 pm »
      Sorry if I come across as a complainer. I'm just looking at the XP I need and I was a little bit overwhelmed. The main reason I want to level so I can enter the prestige class of a shadowdancer (if allowed). And I'll always remember the Ogre killing contest we had the night before. I think my perception of Layonara Online is now changed from what I originally thought it to be (as in any other online RPGs), and after reading these replies here and in other similar topics (I'm not the only one :)) I feel I don't have to power level to compete with others. Thanks mates.

Nyralotep

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 02:31:31 pm »
      My $.02

The highest level character on this server doesn't really kill much of anything by himself.  But he roleplays extremely well like so many of the people here on Layo.  

Unlike many other servers out there here you get to make a name for yourself and really learn who your character really is.

It looks like others think you RP well so just keep it up, hopefully I can meet you in game one day.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 04:06:46 pm »
      There are lots of ways to make a contribution to a group other than by.. well.. acctually being usefull hehe.  

Making an RP contribution is... well, I'd choose to bring someone into my party that was making an rp contribution over someone who would make the party more effective who wasnt.

Also, on quests, if you're below the level required, and are making an RP contribution, there's a good likelyhood that the GM will let (ask) you to come along regardless.  Just stay away from the tough fighting so you don't die.

Anyway, just want to restate that if you're making an RP contribution you will never be excluded from something merely because of your level.  Just keep your level in mind and don't charge that tarrasque with the rest of the epic party *snickers*

-TV

Panros - 1/16/2006  2:16 PM

Sorry if I come across as a complainer. I'm just looking at the XP I need and I was a little bit overwhelmed. The main reason I want to level so I can enter the prestige class of a shadowdancer (if allowed). And I'll always remember the Ogre killing contest we had the night before. I think my perception of Layonara Online is now changed from what I originally thought it to be (as in any other online RPGs), and after reading these replies here and in other similar topics (I'm not the only one :)) I feel I don't have to power level to compete with others. Thanks mates.