The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: characters from other worlds  (Read 56 times)

switchblade5681

• View Profile
    characters from other worlds
    « on: April 17, 2006, 10:54:29 am »
    I was just reading through a character submission in which someone was trying to bring a character in from another world (server) and I noticed that part of the response to that was that the dragon only summoned people from Layonara.  I remember reading in the advanced character submission guidelines that characters CAN be from a different world.  So, I guess I'm confused and curious on this.  I have a dwarven character from another realm that at some point I'll probably want to bring here, as I love to roleplay with the character.  The biggest problems would be that in times past, he was a great hero (40th lvl) of another realm, and had direct contact with the patron deity, etc.  When I moved him to another server previously, he basically understood that there were new gods, but came to believe that the patron god was really all the same, just understood differently on different planes of existance.

All of that aside, I guess I'm seeking guidance from everyone here in knowing what the best route is to take to bring him here.  

An option I thought of was that in his past life (other server), he was told he was needed elsewhere, and was sent here under the condition that he would be "reborn" and remember close to nothing. Being a champion for his god, he would accept the need without question.  The character would have grand dreams of past lives as a result, but would have been born and lived his life in this realm.  

Please, any thoughts and comments on the matter is greatly appreciated.

miltonyorkcastle

Re: characters from other worlds
    « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 11:34:49 am »
    I have found conflicting information on this, and indeed, there are multiple characters who claim to be from another prime.  However, I believe that it's currently not an option for PC's, despite it having been in the past.  I recall reading something in the submission forum by L that explains the situation, but I don't recall where and don't want to open another window to look =P.

Weeblie

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 12:21:05 pm »
    This is my understanding:

Your character can originally be from another plane but must have been living in Layonara for some time. Since the dragon is too lazy to call people from other planes (too much paperwork for him...), your character received the call here in Layonara.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 12:33:21 pm »
    That is what I did for Key. She orginally lived in and about Sigil, then fled to the Prime entirely on accident. Then, the Dragon saw some reason for her to be helpful, and had her come along and generally die whenever something needed to be done. :D

Leanthar

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 12:51:36 pm »
    What Weeblie stated.  Though if the dragon heard Alleina state 'lazy' well.... :)

switchblade5681

• View Profile
      « Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 01:31:06 pm »
      Thank you all for clearing that part up for me.  Which leads to the second part.  How do you reccomend dealing with changing deities, status with gods, ect.  It says in the character submission stuff that any direct contact with dieties in character histories will automatically get them turned down.  Can I add a summary of what happened in other realms, then focus on Layonara, or do I have to leave the other stuff out entirely?  Obviously talking about the other deities isn't a good idea, and may incur the wrath of the pantheon here.  I've handled not talking about other pantheon's well in the past, but it's up to the DM staff here.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 02:12:09 pm »
      Pyyran, having been made before I knew enough about the world to make a character who was familiar with it, was pulled from a similar world to Layonara, but that was absolutely not a part of it. He doesn't understand it himself, so he doesn't think about it, but this is mainly due to my lack of understanding as to the official ideas on the subject.

Leanthar

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 02:17:35 pm »
      I personally mind (at this current time at least) characters that come from other worlds (like FR etc.) and make reference to the other world. But knowing that they must be on Layonara for at least a few weeks or months before the dragon summons them is important. All contact to all deities except for the Layonara Pantheon will be lost though and references to them should be dropped.

One thing that really concerns me about allowing these sorts of characters is that players can some times get carried away with past history that deal with dragons/gods etc. and that stuff just should not happen. I think new characters on new worlds should be just that, new.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 03:00:31 pm »
      Leanthar - 4/17/2006 5:17 PM I personally mind (at this current time at least) characters that come from other worlds (like FR etc.) and make reference to the other world. But knowing that they must be on Layonara for at least a few weeks or months before the dragon summons them is important. All contact to all deities except for the Layonara Pantheon will be lost though and references to them should be dropped. One thing that really concerns me about allowing these sorts of characters is that players can some times get carried away with past history that deal with dragons/gods etc. and that stuff just should not happen. I think new characters on new worlds should be just that, new.
       Which is my view as well, and why I try to be careful with Keille'leugh. She has a general knowledge of how -not- to die on the Planes, as well as speaking the Planar Cant out of habit, yet as far as anything her true life and adventures began as Key on Layonara, not the Keille'leugh I played in Planescape PnP. Though I do try to bring elements of one to the other through CDQs when I feel the need. All in the basics of the character she can remember very little of who she was, and why she is the way she is now, which I feel is the best way to play a character going from one Plane to another. Otherwise you just seem like you're trying to be Ozymandias.

And one is enough. :)

Leanthar

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 03:36:18 pm »
      err (mind = don't mind) sorry about that.

switchblade5681

• View Profile
        « Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 08:53:17 pm »
        That all sounds very good.  For one last thing, I'd like to toss this idea out and see if this sounds acceptable.  The character would swear an oath to the current patron deity (Moradin) to serve Dorand and the Dwarven way of life.  He'd also swear a sacred oath not to speak of his extra-planar past with anyone. He'd then be sent to Layonara and spend time there learning the dwarven way for a few years.  It would be at that point that the dragon would summon him.

I know this isn't the character submission forum, so I won't go into any more than that.  I also don't plan on playing this character for a long while.  I just wanted to get honest opinions on things before I get my heart set on anything.  Thanks for all the help!

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 08:54:45 pm »
        *He nods.* Alright, I feel a bit better. Pyyran was as ignorant as I, if not moreso, and all of his memories were things that any first level rogue could have been through.

Good to have clarification on that.

Thanks, L.

anything