The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Charisma only for Undead?  (Read 36 times)

Tedulas

• View Profile
    Charisma only for Undead?
    « on: October 18, 2005, 12:42:00 pm »
    Heya, just making a Cleric, a Cleric that I only want to heal, I'm not too fussed about the Undead part.
    Does Charisma effect the spells of the Cleric? Does it only effect the ability to turn undead?

Simplistic

• Followers of Katia
      • Followers of Lucinda
      • View Profile
    RE: Charisma only for Undead?
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 12:44:00 pm »
    No ... Wisdom effects our spells ... Charisma is only for the undead ... unless you're a Paladin :)

Tedulas

• View Profile
      « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 12:51:00 pm »
      Alright, would this be a good build for a fighter, cleric that only heals. Oh, and I haven't access to my computer yet with NWN on, so I've just had a go for now.

Strength = Wisdom. (Strength will be higher for now.)
      Dexterity = 10.
      Wisdom = Strength.
      Consitution = 14.
      Intelligence = 8.
      Charisma = 8.

During leveling, I want my Wisdom to be 20, so I can access all spell circles and I have an extra few spells to cast.
      Then, after that just focus on my strength.

Falreign

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 12:59:00 pm »
      Yeah I guess if you like min/maxing your stats. I dont think there is ever any reason to give yourself a disadvantage when something for intellegence or charisma is needed. Remember you will have to speak like an idiot and act like one too with a int + cha 8.

Tedulas

• View Profile
        « Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 01:02:00 pm »
        Alright, time to think of a character now...hmmm....Can you check my stats again? I changed Con to 14 if you didn't see it before.

Acacea

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 01:03:00 pm »
        With Falreign on that one.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 01:13:00 pm »
        I saw a quote once .. "No god ever wanted an ugly idiot for a cleric"

I don't intend to offend you but anyone who is a cleric should have at least a 10 on charisma.. you ARE a cleric and you ARE supposed to deal with the public and spread your dieties teachings. Clerics also recieve schooling in order to read their holy writtings so they can study and meditate on them. Inteligence and Charisma are important for conveing your beliefs and being appealing to others.

Acacea

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 01:16:00 pm »
        Yeah, well. Would that that were a concern.  :)

Vyris

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 01:20:00 pm »
        I forget who it is, but someone here has a sig that states something along the lines of "No diety wants a stupid, ugly person as thier cleric" or some such. Which, all things considered is very, very true.

With 8 int you will have very little in the way of skill points to spend, you won't be healing much with heal kits, or, resisting much in the way of combat feats like knockdown.

With clerical spells you can afford to give up some massive stat, in favor of a more balanced character, you will be able to enhance your statistics for specific situations.

If what you are after is a fighter that can heal himself or others if needed just make a fighter, make him smart enough to get a good base of skills and use heal-kits and potions. Think about how you'd have to RP an 8 int seriously before you submit it, because if you choose to go down that road, then spend time in Hlint reciting poetry and discussing the optimal trajectory of various siege equipment, you'll probably recieve a reminder to RP your stats correctly.

And just me, but personaly, if I see a cleric on one of my quests with an 8 int and cha two things are going to happen.
        1) A lot of monsters are suddenly going to be learning mind-effecting spells.
        2) Your chances of RPing a ressurection and having me DM-res someone just dropped to less than zero.

Vyris

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
          • View Profile
        « Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 01:27:00 pm »
        Simplistic - 10/18/2005  8:44 PM

No ... Wisdom effects our spells ... Charisma is only for the undead ... unless you're a Paladin :)

Actually... Clerics can take the Divine Might/Divine Shield feats aswell, so in that case, Charisma would be important to that matter. :)

Tedulas

• View Profile
          « Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 01:28:00 pm »
          So, how about I get disapline and spellcraft with my 2 skill points, and I can increase cha to 10 easily. I would miss out on healing skill points because I can heal with magic, simple as that. Also I could be too dumb to use a healing kit or something - I could replace healing kits with some potions as well or something, in case I run low on healing spells.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 01:30:00 pm »
          The demi-gods have spoken! All you who rever the spoon forsake the fork for all our lives are but lemony knives on the glass of your eye. Fear the ever might leafing door of reversability in monkies are our salvation! Woe to you who purchase public eating places fraught with tomatoes in liver onions! Doormatts of silver comets send your sponge to furry deapths of stoic marshellow madness!

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
            • View Profile
          « Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 01:31:00 pm »
          Discipline isn't a Cleric class skill, so i think it would be wise to spend those points on Concentration instead... you don't want that Goblin breaking your Heal spell when you're nearly dead, do you? ;)

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 01:34:00 pm »
          consider fighter/bard and use arcane healing

Tedulas

• View Profile
            « Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 01:36:00 pm »
            Bard/Fighter...No I don't really like bards, I don't want spell healings now - I prefere fighter with healing kits and the like.

Here is what I think now:
            Str - 14. (Upon leveling, rest of points on str)
            Dex - 10.
            Con - 18.
            Wis - 10.
            Cha - 10.
            Int - 10.
            Im gunna make up a new thread, because it's going off topic this thread is - hehe.

Acacea

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 01:38:00 pm »
            I feel the urge to make a retarded priest. Thank you, Doc.  :o

Vyris

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 01:54:00 pm »
            Acacea - 10/18/2005  2:38 PM

I feel the urge to make a retarded priest. Thank you, Doc.  :o

I would REALLY like to see Acacea play an idiot/savant healer, healing the undead and wondering why they die...

I wish I could link something here, but since it's in a place I cant I have to chuckle and type "...sitting in the middle of the road, shrieking like a howler monkey and soiling himself." Ah, the RP that could be had, the BEST healer around, but you have to lead him around like an ox, and change his diaper. The sight of blood sends him into a healing frenzy, healing everything in sight, monsters included. Ah, yes, he's got a direct line to the dieties, but it's two soup cans and a string.

hehehe ah, the mental imagery...

Vyris

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 02:01:00 pm »
            my work here is done.. may the blessings of a thousand piercings sear your flowery flesh in porcorn and candy trees. My shoe arches to the lake in waves of pleasing toiletries and windows blowing upon frozen charcoal. May the gorgeous ceaspool forsake your cries for quenching daughts of corncobs.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2005, 02:03:00 pm »
            are you saying that fighter/bards are retarded priests?

THAT IS SO UN PC! they aren't retarded... they're "Productive Warriors of Challenging Abilites"

Acacea

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 02:25:00 pm »
            Acacea's not retarded! She's clever, witty, obno- er charming, and will unlock a door for you and forget to disable the trap, saying "Go get 'em! Raa!"