The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: chickens  (Read 334 times)

Sab Kaylag

• View Profile
    chickens
    « on: December 13, 2006, 12:21:00 pm »
    Hello i was just wondering if there were anyrules about brining a chicken or two to Hlint from Haven?
     I know it's possible and easy and would help me but those chickens probably belong to someone so i wouldn't want to do that if that were the case.  then again we do take eggs from the chickens.

So pretty much just wondering the rule on it

Eight-Bit

Re: chickens
    « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 12:29:43 pm »
    I've seen it done before. What might be against the rules is dragging one to Port Hampshire or Velensk because of the nearby Corn Spawns.

Dorganath

RE: chickens
    « Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 12:35:34 pm »
    Why would you do this?

Chnmmr

• Followers of Katia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 12:36:03 pm »
    Animal Empathy = Befriending Animals.    Chicken = Animal   Therefore one expects that if you befriend that chicken you can take it -with- you somewhere.  I would see no problems with it, but who knows what is and isnt allowed.  *shrugs*

Sab Kaylag

• View Profile
      « Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 12:38:57 pm »
      backwards
      thanks that's the way i saw it too but wasn't sure

I'm doing it because i can cook corn meal easiest in Hlint and so will feed it there.  it's where i like to go for making sand and arrows too and i jump between the three tasks

and 8 bit thanks for the comment though there are some in velensk already i feed the ones in haven ... Sab likes them better *laughs*

SteveJW

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 12:40:15 pm »
      They wouldn't Dorg. There are chickens near a corn spawn in Velensk anyway. Why people would want to move a chicken away from somewhere is to keep them all from rushing you when you want to feed them to get eggs.

Dorganath

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 12:50:18 pm »
      Heh...I know why people want to break chickens away from the pack.  I'm also aware there are corn spawns in Ft. Velensk.
        What I meant was, why would you drag one all the way to Hlint from Haven?  Getting one chicken out of visual range of the others is sufficient.
        In my opinion, the only reason to drag a CNR creature 3 areas away from its home is not to prevent the mob rush but rather to have one's own "pet" chicken, which is not really fair to anyone else.  If just a few people did that, anyone else who needed eggs would be out of luck.
        I don't think there is a server rule about this, but then it's one of those things we shouldn't need a rule for right?
        Edit: While this may allow you to prepare CNR faster, consider that there's a reason why we have spread things out the way we have in terms of crafting. It's not like smelters can move the mines closer to the forges, for example.

Gulnyr

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 12:57:50 pm »
      It's not that hard to attract one chicken out of the group and feed it separately.  Jennara does it every time she wants to make corn bread, without the benefit of any Animal Empathy tricks.

Personally, I think leading one to Hlint for easier CNR gathering isn't in the spirit of Layonara.

jjkolb

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 01:14:19 pm »
      And it begs the question:
        "Why did the chicken cross the road?"

hawklen

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 03:28:44 pm »
      jjkolb - 12/12/2006  4:14 PM    And it begs the question:
       Because, I stapled it to that blasted skunk, that crossed the road, then got hit by a car.

Pseudonym

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 09:37:17 pm »
      jjkolb - 12/14/2006  8:14 AM    And it begs the question:
       ROBERT DE NIRO: Are you telling me the chicken crossed that road? Is that what you're telling me?  MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR: I envision a world where all chickens, be they black or white or brown or red or speckled, will be free to cross roads without having their motives called into question.  GRANDPA: In my day, we didn't ask why the chicken crossed the road. Someone told us that the chicken crossed and that was good enough for us.  CAPTAIN JAMES T KIRK: to boldly go where no chicken has gone before.  FREUD: the fact that you are at all concerned that the chicken Crossed the road reveals your underlying sexual insecurity. How do you feel about your mother?  THE C.I.A: Who told you about the chicken? Did you see the chicken? There was no chicken. Please step into the car.  EINSTEIN: Did the chicken really cross the road or did the road move beneath the chicken?

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 10:23:47 pm »
      I think if all the people who feed the chickens and who have animal empathy took one chicken and stuck it somewhere weird (i.e. not haven) that there would still be chickens left in haven by the next crash/reset which would put them all back in haven.

I'm of the opinion that it's not a big deal. If you put a chicken in hlint, then everyone else in hlint can feed that chicken and get eggs too.

Maliciously moving ALL the chickens or moving a chicken to a private residence however, would be not very nice of you.

trillex

• Followers of Katia
        • View Profile
      « Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 01:11:10 am »
      Could be considered yoinking but I'm sure that it could be roleplayed out and everybody will have a jolly laugh! :)  Seriously, it would make out for some funny roleplaying. The crazy druid wanted to let it loose inside Sielwood but found out that all it wanted was corn and not freedom, so the druid left it by the side of the road till an orc came by and poked it for hours.

IceDragonDuvessa

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 04:41:43 am »
      Why would a good druid or ranger want to take a pet of an animal and remove it from its home and friends? I'm sure theres a farmer around too that raises the chickens since they are always by a farm type setting...wouldn't just wandering off with one be stealing?

trillex

• Followers of Katia
        • View Profile
      « Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 05:34:55 am »
      I did say craaaaaaaazy druid. :)

Falonthas

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 05:45:00 am »
      but did the oak declare him crazy or is it just an opinion

Dorganath

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 06:38:33 am »
      The chickens are CNR.
        CNR is placed where it is for a reason.
        Chickens are really no different from trees, plants, mineral deposits and ores. Whether other people can feed the chickens in their new home or not kind of misses the point. The CNR produced by chickens is valuable; everyone knows that. I'm just not seeing a justification to make things easier just because you can due to mechanics. That's certainly not the intended use for a druid's AE ability, in my opinion.

Force_of_Will_

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 07:58:41 am »
      *watches the wanted posters go up for chicken napping and cow stealing*

twidget658

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 08:44:03 am »
      If it is like the skunk in North Hlint, after a few minutes, it will jump from where ever you have it back to it's spawn point.

I am not sure on how long it will stay with you, as for the skunk, it stuck around long enough to spray only a few people. Then it disappeared.

Weeblie

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 09:11:20 am »
      Ah, the CNR chickens are not like the skunk.

These tricky creatures stay until the server restarts. :)

anything