The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Computer issues  (Read 349 times)

minerva

Computer issues
« on: October 26, 2010, 06:26:16 pm »
I came home from work to find my main computer dead.  Its going to the shop tomorrow and I can still check the forums and such but it was the machine I had NWN on so I cannot be in game in GM or player capacity until I either get it repaired or install NWN on my back up machine.

Just a heads up - prolly won't effect much but you know how murphy's law is and as soon as I can't do something I'll need to.

The following users thanked this post: miltonyorkcastle, Jilseponie Wyndon, Lance Stargazer

minerva

Re: Computer issues
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 05:05:19 pm »
The word is 2 weeks for the replacement of my power supply and motherboard.

Luckily still under warrentee but living on the edge of nowhere has some major disadvantages for parts deliveries.

Fingers crossed that parts come in quicker than they expect, but I'll not be in game in any capacity until its fixed.

morunas

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 06:43:20 pm »
I know it's not of my business... but out of curiosity...

What happened to the motherboard?

I mean powersupplies go dead, sure thing. You get a new one for 20€/$ and put it on yourself in minutes.

But the motherboard... o.O never heard of minimally recent motherboards that went dead.

Did they say what happened? I always doubt those stores...

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 08:19:00 pm »
It can and does happen.

I've actually seen more motherboard/controller failures in the last few years than power supply failures, but both are rare.  It's also quite possible for a power supply to spike the motherboard when it fails (again, a rare event).  It's also possible for a motherboard failure to short back to the power supply, causing a secondary failure.

Filatus

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 11:14:06 pm »
Yah, had that happen to me, weak PSU causing spikes.

morunas

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 03:35:50 am »
Alright o.O curious to know still what the store said :P

I already had to change the powersupply twice and the graphic card once (fan died).

The rest always survived :)

Chazzler

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 10:12:57 am »
Mommy board capacitors area usually the first things that go blammo on a motherboard.
Luckily companies like Asus etc are starting to use the new form of capacitors invented some 5-6 years ago or so, that last about 5x the time that the old types did.
Far eastern invention (the new capacitors), can't remember the exact name of the type of component, except that it's a capacitor with different types of innards than the olden ones.

minerva

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 10:50:20 am »
Wilst I appreciate the concern for my and my computers well being I think of it like this.  I chose this company for their experience and put my trust in their opinion and knowledge, much as I expect my clients to do for me.  That is the basis of a professional relationship.

I just want my "beast" back up and running :) and patience was never one of my virtues.

darkstorme

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 12:31:52 pm »
In the past week, two computers at work failed; one had its CMOS battery die (and for some reason, the battery was soldered to the board, rather than removable like on most motherboards), and my own computer managed to fry something in the memory access multiplexor which resulted in bad memory accesses regardless of which RAM chips I put in.

So motherboard failures happen.  I'm sorry to hear yours did, Minerva!  :(

morunas

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 12:59:48 pm »
I'm already offering candy to mine :S

Chazzler

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 10:02:22 pm »
Remember to clean your computers innards from dust from time to time,
many failures occur from cooling elements getting blocked by dust thus overheating the components. :)