The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Crafting batches  (Read 33 times)

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
Crafting batches
« on: May 06, 2006, 06:15:17 pm »
I was wondering about something.  I understand that the crafting system was adjusted to limit the number of items that could be created in a batch.  I understand the base reason for this was to prevent the system from being exploited by people doing massive numbers at a time and getting lots of XP and gaining levels too fast.  I agree wholeheartedly with the modification for that reason.  What I was wondering is why this resriction needs to apply if the recipe is trivial.  I would like to make a recommendation that if possible the script be modified to allow mass production of items that are trivial to the crafter.  This would in effect be a reward for crafters who have achieved this level of proficiency.  The reason for doing this would be twofold.  First to allow the crafter to work on higher level items without spending lots of time making things that are trivial.  Second is to allow the crafter to take advantage of increased efficiency.  An example would be in infusing or enchanting where the number of spells available are sometimes multiplied for higher level spells.  If a single spell slot counts as three available to craft but I can only do one at a time, the spell slot is still used up so rather than making three per rest I can only make one.  Mass production would allow all three to be produced per rest.  Anyway again I think this should only be allowed when the recipe is trivial but I think it would reduce the tedium greatly for high level crafters.

Acacea

RE: Crafting batches
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 06:38:05 pm »
It is exactly those trivial items that are so easily mass produced and flood the market. I'm not sure how the lack of difficulty in any way lessens the issues caused by giant batches of things that don't even make sense to make all at the same time.  
Dorganath - 1/6/2006  8:31 AM   Eventually, some valuable items become trivial to mid- and upper-level crafters, and that's also something that can be artificially affected through buffs and items.  The issue is not only one of crafting XP but of a flooded marketplace and too much gold.
  Regardless of skill, artisans and crafters will still only make one bow/weapon/suit of armor/etc. at a time.  

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
Re: Crafting batches
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 07:55:04 pm »
Ok.  If this has already been dealt with then that's fine.  I just get tired of making holy water 2 at a time and only half as many per day as I should be able to when I am just using it as an ingredient for something higher.  Maybe there is a middle ground where minor lower items could be mass produced since they are not finished products and don't effect the market but the finished saleable items could be limited all the time.  Just some thoughts.

Acacea

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 08:15:31 pm »
The maximum quantities produced (at at time) for some items have been increased where it makes sense. If you feel that upping the produced-at-a-time number for one would make sense and not greatly impact the whole flooding the market thing, then maybe just suggest it in the appropriate forum if it hasn't been done already.

Edit- The thread I quoted from.

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 08:21:06 pm »
Thanks.  That's just what I needed to know.

anything